"The Office" appreciation thread
Jan 26, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #48 of 366
Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not just him, he didn't create the show, Ricky Gervais is the one who created the show and whom the credit should be given to.

are you kidding? i worship ricky gervais. my friends make fun of me because i say "soooo..." at the end of a "point". i've also been known to end conversations with a well chosen word or two.

my favourite bit:
brent's answering machine: "i'll bet you're trying to look up her skirt right now!"
brent (eyes darting to his boss's skirt) "i wasn't."

that and when he tries to moonwalk and almost hits his office door, but tries to make it look graceful.

Jan 26, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #50 of 366
Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not just him, he didn't create the show, Ricky Gervais is the one who created the show and whom the credit should be given to.

Well Ricky Gervais & Steve Merchant ..... and if you've ever seen the making of the BBC series then you'll know that all the actors and staff should get credit for putting up with Ricky. Funny, funny guy but sounds like the most irritating and annoying person to work with.

Feb 2, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #52 of 366
My Wife and I are fans.

It is a decent fill in for the (tragically cancelled) 'Arrested Developement'.

The Office Tries to reach for the greatness that was 'Arrested Developement', but it will never quite get there though. I still to this day mourne the loss of Arrested Developement.

It is a damn shame that a majority of the general US population doesn't appreciate intelligent humor such as this. I am (sadly) counting the days until The Office gets the axe as well. It seems that most of the TV shows I enjoy end up getting cancelled.

Feb 2, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #53 of 366
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Last night, I felt awkward watching Karen and Pam talk about Jim and Pam kissing!
But, it was soo funny when Dwight was trying to prove Ben Franklin was an imposter!

dwight: "are you nearsighted, or farsighted?"
franklin: "both. that is why i invented the bifocal."
dwight: "YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGH! "

the bits with carrell and the stripper were just amazing. "she gave good advice. it even rhymed."

Feb 2, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #54 of 366
MAN. I don't know what happened but although my program guide (on the tv) said it was a new episode this week, and apparently everyone else saw the new episode this week, my tivo recorded the Oscar is gay episode! Maybe it only aired on the non-HD version of NBC? Weird... to the torrent I go.
frown.gif

Feb 2, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #55 of 366
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Wife and I are fans.

It is a decent fill in for the (tragically cancelled) 'Arrested Developement'.

The Office Tries to reach for the greatness that was 'Arrested Developement', but it will never quite get there though. I still to this day mourne the loss of Arrested Developement.

It is a damn shame that a majority of the general US population doesn't appreciate intelligent humor such as this. I am (sadly) counting the days until The Office gets the axe as well. It seems that most of the TV shows I enjoy end up getting cancelled.

Yeah, Arrested Development was a true work of genius. However, it didn't actually get canceled (well, it did but then fox picked it up again). Mitch Hurwitz, the creator could did not want the show to start going downhill and he new he could not keep up the insane level of complexity and hilarity for much longer. Showtime even asked him to continue the series there but he refused. If you look at his writing history you find that he wrote a couple episodes of Golden Girls early in his career and then nothing for 20 years. I think that Arrested Development's three seasons may have been 20 years worth of ideas spread over that short amount of time. Which in turn made it the great show that it was. Hopefully someone else can do it again, but I have my doubts.
The American version of the Office is the best show on network television right now, but it has stayed on network television while remaining intelligent because it makes a big sacrifice. Namely, the complexity and realism of its characters. Compared to their British counterparts they are hollow and one-dimensional. Even though they are sometimes annoying, all of the characters are likable. I hadn't realized this until one day I heard a complete imbecile talking about the parts they liked about the show and I realized. Wow! they put a lot of stuff in there so that idiot and savant alike can enjoy it. Oh well, there's always HBO!

edit: LocoRoco is one of the finest games I have played in awhile
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #56 of 366
Quote:

Originally Posted by asebastian0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The American version of the Office is the best show on network television right now, but it has stayed on network television while remaining intelligent because it makes a big sacrifice. Namely, the complexity and realism of its characters. Compared to their British counterparts they are hollow and one-dimensional.

Well as much as I prefer the British version, I (and many commentators discussing the differences) don't feel the British is very realistic either (at least in American eyes). I mean inflatable sex organs as presents at work and a boss that can't manage his lunch? The American characters might be more one-dimensional, but arguably the American version is more realistic. The boss makes sales occasionally, etc.
wink.gif

Feb 2, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #58 of 366
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well as much as I prefer the British version, I (and many commentators discussing the differences) don't feel the British is very realistic either (at least in American eyes). I mean inflatable sex organs as presents at work and a boss that can't manage his lunch? The American characters might be more one-dimensional, but arguably the American version is more realistic. The boss makes sales occasionally, etc.
wink.gif

Yeah, perhaps I should have been more specific. I actually prefer Pam/Jim to Dawn/Tim and think the writers nailed it on that end. However, the real sacrifice comes with the Dwight/Gareth and Michael/David comaprisons. Neither David or Gareth were likable characters. Just like in real life people I honestly disliked a number of the characters in the British Office. The American counterparts always 'save the day', there is always some redeeming quality. That is what I am referring to. Dwight is constantly engaging in some exaggerated, 'comedic', slapstick or some other low-brow humor (getting psyched up by listening to a boom box in a stairwell before an interview, come on!) Even Angela in these past few episodes, is showing a sensitive side! Can't we Americans handle even one person who we just don't like, period? When everything is said and done if I had to stick to one it would probably be the American version because it has remained so funny, consistently, for so long. In this one aspect I think it has failed, but then again, so has Gervais' Extras. Or maybe it hasn't failed at all, maybe I just need someone to hate!
icon10.gif

Feb 2, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #59 of 366
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
steve carell's a genius. i've netflixed (can i verb that?) bbc's "the office" too. it's supposed to be really good as well.

UK Office is the best TV show ever made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back