The Offical Unoffical SNES Thread
Apr 25, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #31 of 151
Yeah, I see those 3 in 1 clones on ebay that play original nes, genesis, and SNES carts, though I wouldn't expect it to be particularly great for the 40-50 bucks + shipping its going for.  Looks pretty good except for the fact that the controllers are proprietary and the system doesn't seem to be compatible with the real console controllers.  However, I'm sure most of these clone systems are like that

Apr 25, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #32 of 151
I don't know why they don't bring a disc out on all formats with the snes classic selection like they did with segas megadrive console..

Apr 25, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #33 of 151

Quote:
I don't know why they don't bring a disc out on all formats with the snes classic selection like they did with segas megadrive console..

Agreed. There isn't much effort required from developers and retro gamers all around the world would quickly get such compilations.

Apr 26, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #34 of 151
Yea, I got into Dream Cast Home Brews MAD crazy before I got my Wii [heck I have a feeling I can play PS1 Games on the Dream Cast pretty simply actually] but I like that with the Wii, everything is on you SD card and the Home Brew Channel stays on ur HD, so it makes things a little simple imo. Thankfully though I've finally started using my Wii for something else other than SNES games xD

Apr 30, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #35 of 151
I haven't played many SNES games. I guess it's because I didn't grow up back then, I grew up with N64, etc. But I have played some and I have played some on an actual SNES, although it's been years since I last did. The game that I enjoyed the most is Super Castlevania IV. I only made it about halfway through the game though, I think I became stuck at some point and then stopped playing.

May 1, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #36 of 151
Yea it was the reverse with me, the SNES was my Grand Mothers. She bought it for all of us Grand Kids but ended up just giving it to me and my mom.

So I didn't actually buy a Game System for my self until I got the GC, until then all we could afford was SNES which was free!

But there are a lot of good SNES you should try through Emulators

Super Mario World 2 for example is a great one

May 2, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #38 of 151
Snes is my favorite system. 8 of my 10 favorite games are for it.

They had best selection of rpgs.

Some mentioned already a few that haven't:
Super Mario Rpg
Lufia Series
Secret of Mana (pureland was scary as a kid :p)
Breath of Fire series

Anyone here into speed running? I could destroy the current record for Secret of Mana if i was motivated enough to do it. The record is off a PAL version at 5:15.

May 2, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #39 of 151
Quote:
Snes is my favorite system. 8 of my 10 favorite games are for it.

They had best selection of rpgs.

Some mentioned already a few that haven't:
Super Mario Rpg
Lufia Series
Secret of Mana (pureland was scary as a kid :p)
Breath of Fire series

Anyone here into speed running? I could destroy the current record for Secret of Mana if i was motivated enough to do it. The record is off a PAL version at 5:15.

I was when I was younger, I did Super Metroid in like 4 hours when I was 9-10, obviously that's not very fast. I also did an 7 hour speed run of Secrect of Evermore [which is a shame because the goodies in that game make it worth playing slowy]

Also, Secret of Mana was an easy game... the third one how ever >:3 that's a 30 hour game right there [it's SNES to]

Lastly, the Bomberman Series [espically 3-4] would be fun games to do as speed runs! [heck I might even get better roms and give that a try!]

May 4, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #40 of 151
Quote:

I was when I was younger, I did Super Metroid in like 4 hours when I was 9-10, obviously that's not very fast. I also did an 7 hour speed run of Secrect of Evermore [which is a shame because the goodies in that game make it worth playing slowy]

Also, Secret of Mana was an easy game... the third one how ever >:3 that's a 30 hour game right there [it's SNES to]

Lastly, the Bomberman Series [espically 3-4] would be fun games to do as speed runs! [heck I might even get better roms and give that a try!]

It did make me laugh when i played through SoM ~14 years after i last played it. Game was so hard for me as a kid, but yeah it is easy. I can't recall how difficult SD3 was -- there is a speed run time of 5:49 for it. Someone has one in progress that he claimed he would finish by end of 2011. Hasn't updated his thread.. Speed running rpg is meh, people will grind segments for days worth of playtime. It doesn't impress me as much as single segmenting (no saves). 

Never played SoE, but we still have it at my parents house. Guess i should play through next time i can.

May 4, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #41 of 151
I remeber starting Secret of Evermore, but didn't get too much into it.  I noticed similarities right away with Seiken Densetsu 2 & 3.

May 6, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #42 of 151
Quote:
I remeber starting Secret of Evermore, but didn't get too much into it.  I noticed similarities right away with Seiken Densetsu 2 & 3.

Yea it's very simmilar as it's a Square Enix game, but remeber that the US didn't get SD3 we got SoE, the different though is the Alchemy system. You hvae to keep ing's stocked for Magic as there is no mana, and you have to hunt for the stronger magic spells as well! Plus story wise it's pretty sick and graphics wise it's really pretty imo

and a 5:19 single set run for SD3 is not possiable... unless of course he's using and emulator and running the game with a speeder [which I rather hate because the charm of SNES games is the gfx and the music, which get crappy when you speed]

I still enjoy mine speed free, and on my SNES from time to time, though sadly my Cartrdiges are getting old and don't hold saves to well xD I bump into them and WHAM save is gone lol

May 6, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #43 of 151
Quote:
and a 5:19 single set run for SD3 is not possiable... unless of course he's using and emulator and running the game with a speeder [which I rather hate because the charm of SNES games is the gfx and the music, which get crappy when you speed]

Its 5:49 and not a single segment. The TAS (tool assisted speedrun) record is 3:24:49. http://tasvideos.org/1940M.html

TAS are done an emulator but not with a speeder.

May 6, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #44 of 151
Quote:
Yea it's very simmilar as it's a Square Enix game, but remeber that the US didn't get SD3 we got SoE, the different though is the Alchemy system. You hvae to keep ing's stocked for Magic as there is no mana, and you have to hunt for the stronger magic spells as well! Plus story wise it's pretty sick and graphics wise it's really pretty imo

I still enjoy mine speed free, and on my SNES from time to time, though sadly my Cartrdiges are getting old and don't hold saves to well xD I bump into them and WHAM save is gone lol

I lost my perfect Zelda save that way.  T_______T

Quote:
... remeber that the US didn't get SD3...

Yes, I did indeed imply that this did not stop me from playing it and having a blast of a time.
And lol at you copying my misspelling.  
k701smile.gif

May 7, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #45 of 151
Quote:

I lost my perfect Zelda save that way.  T_______T

Yes, I did indeed imply that this did not stop me from playing it and having a blast of a time.
And lol at you copying my misspelling.  
k701smile.gif

You have to change the batteries inside the cart to fix savegame issues, they are slowly and surely getting drained during the 15+ years.
tongue.gif
You can buy a kit from ebay for couple of bucks. Also you may need a gamebit screwdriver or tip, couple of bucks that too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back