The (occasionally bi-)annual 'let's find bangraman a portable autumn-winter phone' thread
Aug 9, 2014 at 1:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

bangraman

Headphoneus Supremus
So 'tis coming up to time for me once again to hunt for a set of dual-purpose headphones and ear warmers.

As old and decrepit members may know I have had, and continue to have despite not posting actively anymore, rather a lot of headphones... so making a new choice remains just as hard despite the plethora of new cans that sprouts up these days.

So the attributes I'm looking for, the 'must haves':

1. Closed, actually isolating.

2. Around-ear, lightweight, comfort a primary concern. No over-ears, I've found they just don't work for me.

3. Interchangeable cables. Either to run with short cables to a Bluetooth jacked remote, or to run long to something in a pocket. I would also consider a very short cable (<1ft) plus a lightweight extension cord for the same usage capability. No 'DJ' style cables. And definitely no waste-of-time aftermarket recable jobs, unless it has a connector specifically designed for that to happen.

4. Got to sound good of course. Since it's a portable set I would like a little more bass than I'd normally prefer, but not to the level of e.g. Beats Solo 'listening through a partition of your own diarrhea' muddiness as a result.

5. Not a 'brand'. By that I mean not a maker which makes 'aspirational' marketing-lead hardware for the masses. Beats, B&O, etc. I swim against the tide as a rule, and while there are times I've thrown in the towel for stuff I don't care about or stuff that actually works genuinely well, I've almost invariably found that what your average Joe on the street aspires to and appreciates, I don't.

No budget. To put things in perspective headphones I've (tried to) use in this mode include the Qualia 010 and Ultrasone Edition 8, right down to the Bose AE2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back