The not so indestructable Sennheiser HD 25 1 ii.
Dec 29, 2011 at 2:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Enter Darkness

100+ Head-Fier
Hello head-fiers. Long time lurker but recent joiner. I have been lurking for a few months and i currently own the sennheiser hd 25 1 ii. I bought them after reading many reviews stating they were excellent for metal music. Well 2 months since i got them today i put them on my head and listened to some music. I was at the mall chowing down on some french Fry's. Then out of nowhere the right side suddenly gets super quiet. It seems to have corrected itself but i am still going to return them tomorrow and get a new one. Man you got to love those 2 year warranties. My question is this a reoccurring issue? I have heard non stop praise for their durability with many claiming it to be indestructible. Well i don't know how people have had theirs for 6-7 years without issues. Mine are having issues after 2 months. If it is only batch issue i will get a new one tomorrow but in the case this is a recurring issue i will just get my money back. $200 for headphones that last 2 months is ridiculous. Thanks for your time and effort. I appreciate any input.

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #2 of 19
Hmmm, have some friends who have the same can, I will try to remember to ask them for you if you like. My guess is that you may just have a defective unit though. Curious to see if anyone else has the same issue or not.

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #3 of 19
Did your headphone plug get pulled out of your player ever so slightly by any chance?  Try this out yourself.  If you gently pull the plug of your headphones slightly, so that it dislodges, the right channel cuts out, while the left channel keeps playing.

Your headphones might not have a problem at all.  This has happened to me before, especially since I had an amplifier, which requires an extra cable.

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #4 of 19

Quote:
Did your headphone plug get pulled out of your player ever so slightly by any chance?  Try this out yourself.  If you gently pull the plug of your headphones (any headphone with a TRS plug will do) slightly, so that it dislodges, the right channel cuts out.

Your headphones might not have a problem at all.

Darn, you beat me to it :p

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #5 of 19
Hehe, I was scared for the longest time that my HD280 Pro was broken, because the right channel kept cutting out.  Then I looked at the 3.5mm plug on my LOD cable, and saw it was sticking out slightly.  Pushed it in, and the problem was fixed instantly.  That was a huge relief, especially since I had just tack modded those headphones, voiding my warranty.

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #6 of 19

Quote:
Did your headphone plug get pulled out of your player ever so slightly by any chance?  Try this out yourself.  If you gently pull the plug of your headphones slightly, so that it dislodges, the right channel cuts out, while the left channel keeps playing.

Your headphones might not have a problem at all.  This has happened to me before, especially since I had an amplifier, which requires an extra cable.

I can't say for certain if this was the cause but it is to be considered. I will regardless get a new pair tomorrow just in case. I am just worried that this may be a reoccurring issue. Or that if this is a batch issue that i might get that bad batch again. I don't know where my local futureshop gets their stock from.

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #7 of 19
I honestly would not worry to much about it being a recurring issue because i have never heard of any issues with these cans, so you should be fine with a new set. Oh, I almost forgot, Welcome to Head-fi, sorry about your wallet :p

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #9 of 19
2 years 4 months since I bought mine.  I'm not gentle with them by any stretch of the word, and they're still going.

edit:  Say you had them 5 years, and are now out of warranty.  Right driver blows, gets squashed, stabbed by an ice pick, whatever,  you can just buy a new driver cup and headphone is now fixed.  
wink.gif
  How many other headphones would now just be paperweights?

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #10 of 19

Quote:
I honestly would not worry to much about it being a recurring issue because i have never heard of any issues with these cans, so you should be fine with a new set. Oh, I almost forgot, Welcome to Head-fi, sorry about your wallet :p

You'd be surprised. I own and have heard more headphones then you would think.

I definitely have over $1000 invested in headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back