The no-compomise way of improving sq from computer?
Aug 10, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #31 of 33
I found my old DVD audio demo disk that came with my audigy2 that I had years ago..Turns out PowerDVD can happily play it through my x-fi - > digital -> dac , even though the original Creative software used to turn the digital out off DVD-a. Anyway,the sound quality on that demo disk is outstanding,totally pure/sharp/transparent..no comparison to mp3s or even CDs..based on that,I'd say the recording quality is more of a factor than the gear is,in my middle-fi setup.Thats the moral.I wish there was a site listing every single album currently available on DVD-a cuz I wanna get some once I'm done with other matters.
Mp3's can sound pretty damn good with 192+ bitrate,IF they were ripped properly,with LAME etc..There's still a ton of high-bitrate mp3s that sound like crap.

Aug 10, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #32 of 33
Quote:

Have had no problems with the alac plug-in for foobar, and ripping to lossless with iTunes could not be more simple.

Out of curiosity...wasn't that plug-in development abandoned due to instability? Is there an improved, stable version out now?

Aug 11, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #33 of 33
Quote:

Out of curiosity...wasn't that plug-in development abandoned due to instability? Is there an improved, stable version out now?

I remember reading about instability but that was only during a search for the plug-in; mid-August last year. The version I'm using actually seems 98% stable on my system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back