The Nine Inch Nails discussion thread
Mar 22, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #31 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by wovenhand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally someone who agrees with me on this, hehe. Most people seem to really like both Year Zero & The Slip, though I've noticed it's mostly "newcomers".
Those 3 are easily my favorites as well. Followed very closely by Broken & Pretty Hate Machine.
smile.gif

I agree with you too. I'd probably put PHM before Ghosts, but that's probably just because of the nostalgia factor -- Ghosts is very good indeed.

Mar 23, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #33 of 49
I would certainly agree that Reznor is probably one of the best musician/writer/producer combos ever seen...but his stuff can get too insular, maybe because he spends so much time doing things by himself, or without enough people around that can tell him "no, that sucks, don't do that". Too many solo artists fall victim to this tendency, it was the downfall of Natalie Merchant after she left 10,000 Maniacs IMO.

Mar 23, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #34 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it was the downfall of Natalie Merchant after she left 10,000 Maniacs IMO.

I disagree, Natalie Merchant had a huge success with Tigerlily and Orphelia both commercially and critically. I hardly call that a downfall.

Mar 23, 2009 at 9:36 AM Post #35 of 49
listening to Pretty Hate Machine currently... the 'Something i can never have' is good..learned it on piano also....simple tune but yet chilling

Mar 23, 2009 at 10:39 AM Post #36 of 49
From nin.com

Quote:

2.16.09: A note from Trent and a wave goodbye

Towards the beginning of my career in Nine Inch Nails, our biggest break came in the form of an invitation to perform a series of shows with Jane's Addiction. These performances essentially created and defined the term "alternative" rock in the US, created an ongoing festival franchise that is still thriving (Lollapalooza), set the stage for Nirvana to shift popular taste a few months later, and were really ****ing FUN to play and attend - truly the best times I've had. The shows were epic. So epic, they propelled NIN to the "next level" (whatever that means), but caused Jane's to implode. The band broke up at the end of that tour.

Fast forward to the present. Corporate rock STILL sucks. A friend tells me they saw the original Jane's lineup play a tiny show in LA that was unbelievable. I break out my Jane's records and am amazed by how vital they sound. These guys were the real deal and in this current climate mostly dominated by poseurs and losers it was refreshing to hear something that sounded dangerous, volatile, beautiful and SINCERE.
Emails were sent, phone calls were made, dinner was arranged, ideas were discussed and the next thing I know we're in the studio experimenting. We laugh, we get to know each other, we cry, we yell, we almost quit, we record LOTS of guitar solos, we discuss, we actually begin to all communicate, we yell some more, we become FRIENDS, we laugh again and we do some great things. I get to see first hand why they broke up all those years ago but I also get the chance to see four distinct personalities that become an INCREDIBLE band when they're in the same room.

In NIN world, 2009 marks the 20th anniversary of our first releases. I've been thinking for some time now it's time to make NIN disappear for a while. Last year's "Lights in the Sky" tour was something I'm quite proud of and seems like the culmination of what I could pull off in terms of an elaborate production. It was also quite difficult to pull off technically and physically night after night and left us all a bit dazed. After some thought, we decided to book a last run of shows across the globe this year. The approach to these shows is quite different from last year - much more raw, spontaneous and less scripted. Fun for us and a different way for you to see us and wave goodbye. I reached out to Jane's to see if they'd want to join us across the US and we all felt it could be a great thing. Will it work? Will it resonate in the marketplace? Who knows. Are there big record label marketing dollars to convince you to attend? Nope.
Does it feel right to us and does it seem like it will be fun for us and you? Yes it does.
Look for tour dates soon and I hope to see you out there.

Trent

Mar 23, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #38 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree, Natalie Merchant had a huge success with Tigerlily and Orphelia both commercially and critically. I hardly call that a downfall.

Her songwriting was not as focused on either album as it had been with 10,000 Maniacs, whatever the fans or critics might say. The farther she got away from 10,000 Maniacs, the less interesting her music got. I call it a downfall, whatever you may think.

Mar 23, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #39 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Her songwriting was not as focused on either album as it had been with 10,000 Maniacs, whatever the fans or critics might say. The farther she got away from 10,000 Maniacs, the less interesting her music got. I call it a downfall, whatever you may think.

I respect your opinion but just because one doesn't like her new style personally doesn't mean that she's going downwards in her career. Her departure from 10,000 Maniacs might have left their fans disappointed but it also brought new kind of fans and, by their right, it can sound just as involved and good. I, personally, don't mind both of her careers at all and enjoy both. The only things that changed after the move was the new albums being more dark and acoustical which I also appreciate.

Apr 3, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #40 of 49
Had to stop by one of the NIN threads. I was listening to "Disclipline" this morning from The Slip. Streaming 24/96 > Squeezebox > Darkvoice 337 > JVC HP-DX 1000, not extremely loud mind you, but I swear the bass drum beat made my ass buzz.
beyersmile.png

You gotta love 'em.

Apr 3, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #41 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by holdendebeans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Streaming 24/96 > Squeezebox > Darkvoice 337 > JVC HP-DX 1000, not extremely loud mind you, but I swear the bass drum beat made my ass buzz.
beyersmile.png

You do realize that those JVCs are supposed to go on your head, right?
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #42 of 49
I've been a long time fan, ever since Pretty Hate Machine came out. Pretty much grew up with NIN. That being said, I can't bring my self to listen to The Slip after the first play through. I fell it lacks substance and the depth/layering that I've come to expect from Trent.

I think this album was pushed out too fast and suffers because of that. Not enough attention to detail...

Apr 3, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #43 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I couldn't disagree more. He's decent at best. He didn't even do anything more to further the genre either. There are better industrial music artists than Reznor, you just have to search more. Reznor is just the "POP" of this genre of music. I am no expert or that knowledgeable of this genre, but even I know he is so-so ok. Check out some music out of Europe/Canada from before Reznor even began to make music.

I have seen NIN, and he is nothing compared to the stage performance of Rammstein, who are also Industrial music.

Econoline Crush again another act where I preferred them in concert. Front Line Assembly is just superior in music, and talent I believe.

And you can't discount KMFDM if you are going to be listening to this genre. Easily all of them I think have done more for this genre than Reznor. Reznor granted popularized it in his own way, but not the most talented of our time. He's practically amateur in comparison.

Im not sure how much weight your opinion holds when you follow it with a "I am no expert or that knowledgeable of this genre"-lol.

Comparing Rammstein live to NIN is worthy of a good laugh and roll on the floor in itself. You obviously have not seen NIN live or you would know that not only has Trent been a pioneer with regard to both audio and visuals in the past, he is still breaking new ground with his live performances, 20 years into his career.

On to your KMFDM comment: KMFDM are no doubt an important part of the industrial scene but they in NO WAY have consistently put out solid material as has Reznor. Even your die hard KMFDM fan will say that there are a number of albums that theyve released that were just crap. Furthermore, if NIN is the "POP" of the genre, then what is KMFDM?? I leave that one in the rhetorical format...

As to your last paragraph of nonsense; again, how does one with a self proclaimed limited knowledge of the genre, say that a musician is "amatuer in comparison"?
In comparison to whom?
Its almost like your angry at Trent for his success(LOL).

Trent accomplished a relatively impossible feat within industrial scene; he crossed over to the (relative) mainstream, making his music accessible to the masses.

Its very hard to take you seriously when you provide zero empirical evidence to support your claims, have a self proclaimed limited knowledge of the genre and most importantly, choose to base your opinion on emotion rather than fact and logic.

You should know better before posting in that vein on Head-Fi.

Apr 3, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #44 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im not sure how much weight your opinion holds when you follow it with a "I am no expert or that knowledgeable of this genre"-lol.

Comparing Rammstein live to NIN is worthy of a good laugh and roll on the floor in itself. You obviously have not seen NIN live or you would know that not only has Trent been a pioneer with regard to both audio and visuals in the past, he is still breaking new ground with his live performances, 20 years into his career.

On to your KMFDM comment: KMFDM are no doubt an important part of the industrial scene but they in NO WAY have consistently put out solid material as has Reznor. Even your die hard KMFDM fan will say that there are a number of albums that theyve released that were just crap. Furthermore, if NIN is the "POP" of the genre, then what is KMFDM?? I leave that one in the rhetorical format...

As to your last paragraph of nonsense; again, how does one with a self proclaimed limited knowledge of the genre, say that a musician is "amatuer in comparison"?
In comparison to whom?
Its almost like your angry at Trent for his success(LOL).

Trent accomplished a relatively impossible feat within industrial scene; he crossed over to the (relative) mainstream, making his music accessible to the masses.

Its very hard to take you seriously when you provide zero empirical evidence to support your claims, have a self proclaimed limited knowledge of the genre and most importantly, choose to base your opinion on emotion rather than fact and logic.

You should know better before posting in that vein on Head-Fi.

Very well put.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back