The Nine Inch Nails discussion thread
Mar 21, 2009 at 2:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

Nocturnal310

Headphoneus Supremus
wow..

just wow.

started listening to them few months back after i saw this movie 'Wanted' ..their song 'Everyday is exactly the same' from With Teeth

then i started hearing their freely available albums they have shared on Torrents..

then got into other albums.. The Downward Spiral, The Fragile

Trent Reznor is just a genius....he has brought some new stuff to the industrial rock

i like the mood of some songs especially..often dark but some like 'A Warm Place' are inspiring in some ways.

just wondering if any head-fiers are fan of NIN?

Mar 21, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #5 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NIN|JA 2009

Awesome thanks so much for the link Pangaea! Finally a decent version of Not So Pretty Now... and in Apple Lossless no less
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow..

just wow.

started listening to them few months back after i saw this movie 'Wanted' ..their song 'Everyday is exactly the same' from With Teeth

then i started hearing their freely available albums they have shared on Torrents..

then got into other albums.. The Downward Spiral, The Fragile

Trent Reznor is just a genius....he has brought some new stuff to the industrial rock

i like the mood of some songs especially..often dark but some like 'A Warm Place' are inspiring in some ways.

just wondering if any head-fiers are fan of NIN?

Been listening to nin since Pretty Hate Machine and still follow them closely. (Had PHM on cassette
biggrin.gif
Then CD, Now Vinyl.)

My favorite was 'Broken' EP. Have you checked it out yet?
Also, Trent's videos are amazing too. I highly recommend the 'Closure' VHS tape if you can get your hand on it.

Mar 21, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #7 of 49
I can't wait for their NINJA tour. They just announced a new show around where I live. Let's see if I can get those tickets in time. I wish I could've bought more than two, though.

Mar 21, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #8 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

_HUGE_ fan of NIN/Trent Reznor here. Picked up The Downward Spiral "back in the day" and I've been hooked ever since.
Though I must say I think that from With Teeth and onwards the quality of his output has declined at a steady rate. There was a temporary swing upwards with Ghosts I-IV (great album), but Year Zero & The Slip just feel like a light version of what NIN can be. One can't really compare them to TDS of The Fragile though, it feels like a completely different band/mindset which is probably true since Trent experienced drug problems around that era.
But stiil, I miss the grandiose production, songs and ideas that were so prominent on TDS and The Fragile. The lust to experiment and try new things and just push the envelope as far as possible.

Even if I didn't even like TDS, I would still recognise it as a pure masterpiece. It's so dynamic, diverse and forward thinking complete with amazing songs and production. One of my top 3 albums of all time.
The Fragile is also an amazing album, but TDS is 10/10 for me.

I think NIN nowadays have much more emphasis on the pop song format.
Nothing wrong with that, I just heavily prefer the more album orientated TDS/The Fragile. They flow perfectly from beginning to end as an entity. Peaks, valleys and just allround a real exciting journey to go on.
The newer stuff just feels thrown together in a haste.

Last, the "new" song (well, it was written like ~3-4 years ago) Non-Entity is easily the best I've heard from Trent in a long while. I was first disappointed that it was an "industrialized" version that appeared on the NINJA 2009 compilation, as I had hoped it would be the stripped down piano version he first performed when the song was new, but now I'm really digging it. _AMAZING_ production.

Mar 21, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #9 of 49
Great band and music.
Perhaps not a fan, but I really like it.
smile.gif

...and thanks for the NIN/JA 2009 link.

Mar 21, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #10 of 49
Nope, nobody on head-fi likes NIN.

Not one. Everybody above and below is lying to you because they also dislike people who like NIN.

I've heard about a guy who listened to Downward Spiral then went out and killed his whole family. Something about Hurt.

Move along now and listen to some obscure death metal band.
wink_face.gif

Mar 21, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #11 of 49
Hurt is a Johnny Cash song, noob.

Hehehe.

Anyway, I'm a massive NIN fan. I think Demon Seed is one of the best things Reznor has done since The Fragile.

Oh yeah, you have to listen to Broken.

Mar 22, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #12 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by rederanged /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Love 'em! I've had the drum machine beat from Head Like A Hole stuck in my head since 1990.

Same here. Has it really been 20 years since Pretty Hate Machine was released? Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky, but it still sounds fresher than a lot of new music.

I'm not hugely into hard rock/industrial (having been on a roots/jazz/classical bent for a few years), but sometimes I still just have to put on Pretty Hate Machine and The Downward Spiral and just enjoy the hell out of them.

By the way, The Downward Spiral is out on SACD. I picked it up a couple years back and the sonics are good. If any of you fans has a SACD player, I highly recommend tracking down a copy. I think it might be OOP.

Mar 22, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #13 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dublo7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hurt is a Johnny Cash song, noob.

Hehehe.

Anyway, I'm a massive NIN fan. I think Demon Seed is one of the best things Reznor has done since The Fragile.

Oh yeah, you have to listen to Broken.

Did you mean that incident was because of Johnny Cash's song instead of NIN's? Cuz NIN does a song called Hurt in the Downward Spiral.

Mar 22, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #14 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you mean that incident was because of Johnny Cash's song instead of NIN's? Cuz NIN does a song called Hurt in the Downward Spiral.

I was being sarcastic, dude
k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back