The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Apr 13, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #4,846 of 5,895
Lookin' for nikon coolpix s3100 lens correction photoshop cs5 profile, any help appreciated, thanks.

May 2, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #4,851 of 5,895
No one seems to show them as "discontinued" so I'm hoping there will be some stragglers.  I guess even when they were in production they were hard to get ahold of though. 

I already got one used, I just don't like the idea of a used sensor.  God knows what they rubbed on it in the middle of the night...
eek.gif
  It only had 5k shutter actuations though, and it was 1k less than a new one. 

May 2, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #4,852 of 5,895
Quote:
No one seems to show them as "discontinued" so I'm hoping there will be some stragglers.  I guess even when they were in production they were hard to get ahold of though. 

I already got one used, I just don't like the idea of a used sensor.  God knows what they rubbed on it in the middle of the night...
eek.gif
  It only had 5k shutter actuations though, and it was 1k less than a new one. 

It did show discontinued on BH Photo.  Nikon does seem like they got it right on the D800/E and D4, never see a new release with that long of waiting list.  The BH rep kinda told me that my D800E will be delivered by end of summer I'm lucky, and I placed the order not long after it is official released.

May 2, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #4,854 of 5,895
Quote:
They seem to have gotten it right since the D3.  I had a lot of stores tell me they've never been able to keep D3s' in stock.

I did see a few at Hunt's photo before but never upgraded since I really don't need the professional version and don't like the D700 fro some reason (maybe holding out for D800).  

May 5, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #4,858 of 5,895
D800s are such a pain to get right now. Retail it supposedly goes for 3k on Amazon but if you try to get one off eBay bids are going as high as 5k!

The E version been sold for almost $6K. I should have ordered when it first became available preorder.

May 12, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #4,859 of 5,895
Well I'm back. Thanks for the previous advice BTW. I now find myself with a new dilemma and I feel a bit out of my depth discussing such low end gear here!

I eventually bought a 50-300mm VR and I'm not really happy with it. I freely admit that some of the issues will be down to me but ultimately I feel as though I should be getting more detail and sharpness from the lens. I also seem to struggle with accurate autofocus (even in good light). I can't rule out a bad copy of the lens.

I'm seriously considering exchanging it for the Tamron 70-300mm SP VC, which has faster AF and full time MF override. I feel that these will lead to fewer missed shots. However, I also expect better image quality in general. Is this the case?

I can exchange for approx. £100. My concern is whether I will see an improvement on a D50 or whether I'm just wasting my money (I'd try another 55-300mm in that case)? Am I expecting too much from the 55-300mm/D50 combination, am I making a mistake looking at images at 100% (surely that's how you check the focus?)?

I'm sure there will be suggestions to just get the Nikon 70-300mm VR. Well, it's simply down to budget, however, I have asked the store to contact Nikon to see if they can get a refurbished unit.

I do have some examples but I didn't think it would be appreciated if I posted several full size images (even if they are only 6MP :) )

Finally, I'm on a bit of a tight time scale here. Ideally, I would like to purchase the Tamron tomorrow but I could probably stall until next weekend.

May 12, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #4,860 of 5,895
There are a lot of reasons shots with a 300mm lens are not sharp. You really should try to pin down why before you buy another lens. You might just end up with the same problem.

First, try to eliminate camera shake. This is the most likely reason shots are soft with long lenses. Shoot a bunch at 300 on a tripod and see what you get.

Second, eliminate softness wide open. Shoot a bunch wide open on a tripod, and then a batch at f/8. See if that makes a difference.

Next see if te zoom has bad range. On a tripod shoot a batch wide open and at f/8 in various regions of the zoom from wide to long.

Lastly, pay attention to how you click the shutter release. Do you squeeze it slowly or punch it with a jab? Some longer lenses require a fraction of a second longer to lock on focus. The way you press the button can have a big impact on your ratio of junk to keepers.

If you know exactly what the problem is, you can improve your technique and shoot around the lens's limitations and get ood shots. No lens is perfect. You need to know how each one behaves to get good shots.

Used properly, the 50-300 is a very sharp lens. I doubt the problem is your copy. I'd bet five bucks you discover it's your technique. Long slow lenses take a bit of finesse to coax into giving their best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back