The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Apr 14, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #4,321 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for sharing!

I particularly like the low-angle wide shots - very dramatic with a sense of motion.

Thank you.
atsmile.gif

I think it is most appropriate for head-fi because there is no music experience like going to a real concert.

May 2, 2010 at 5:55 AM Post #4,326 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by trevorlane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
front element protection, effects, it would be like going around with my 300 without having the hood attached.

I never use a filter to protect my lens. In the case of dropping your gears on the floor (knock on wood), the thin piece of glass shatters too easily and the broken shards can scratch the front element pretty deeply since both the filter and front element have a similar hardness index.

I trust my lens hoods more than the filters when it comes to protection.

May 2, 2010 at 7:13 AM Post #4,327 of 5,895
I use hoya clear hmc filters to protect against dirt and stray fingerprints. I'll put my camera in a side bag without a lens cap so I can quickly whip it out and grab a shot before the subject sees the camera and dons a "say cheese" expression. If it gets dirty I just wipe it with a shirtsleeve and move on. I hate to stop and clean equipment in the field. Filters have their place with street shooting.

May 7, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #4,328 of 5,895
yeah I like using filters just so i don't have to worry about mucking up the lens.  None of my lenses has ever had cleaning solution used on them, and most of them have never been touched by anything.  I know that's overkill, but it's peace of mind when owning thousands of dollars worth of glass

May 12, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #4,329 of 5,895
I really love the vintage Nikkor 70-300G lens.
At 300mm, even at F/5.6, it gives such a tight DOF

An example:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3345/4600997461_38e6a0ffbf_b.jpg

I love this lens!

May 12, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #4,330 of 5,895
Anyone know any tricks for shooting into the sun?  I love the look esspecially with a fill flash it can be really nice, but it kills my eyes!  The other day I thought I would go blind because when I'm working, I get obsessed about getting the shot and I'm not very careful about my eyes.  but I got paranoid afterwards when I felt my eyes had been strained

May 14, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #4,331 of 5,895
You just need to work fast. That's what lots of shooting does for you... you don't necessarily know more, you can just make decisions faster. Set your camera so you can quickly adjust the exposure plus and minus. Put it on a tripod so you have it ready to shoot. Tell your subject how you want them to pose before you put them in the shot. Then get in position and start shooting as fast as you can.

That's acually how I shoot a lot of the time. I like to do all the fiddling and diddling before I start shooting, so when I have the camera up to my eye, all I need to do is create images. I may be an exception among photographers, but I hate the OCD detail part of shooting. Whatever I can hand off to automation, I do.

May 14, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #4,332 of 5,895
I'm not talking about shooting towards the sun, I'm talking about shooting into the sun, where the sun is actually in the picture.  A tripod would slow me down immensely.  It's not really a matter of speed, there were only split seconds when the sun broke through the couple and I took the picture but I had to look for a second.

I would post pictures, but the new forum won't accept imageshack code

May 14, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #4,334 of 5,895

Quote:
Anyone know any tricks for shooting into the sun?  I love the look esspecially with a fill flash it can be really nice, but it kills my eyes!  The other day I thought I would go blind because when I'm working, I get obsessed about getting the shot and I'm not very careful about my eyes.  but I got paranoid afterwards when I felt my eyes had been strained

Use live view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back