The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Jan 4, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #4,021 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My new D300s camera body arrived the other day.
smily_headphones1.gif

(click for larger)

I also want to get a new lens to go with the D300s and am split between the Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 and Nikon 16-85 f/3.5-5.6. Anyone have any advice to offer or should I just buy both?

Thx for the answers about my software question btw, will look into either Capture NX2 or Lightroom...

No point buying both, too close to each other. Just get whichever you think suits you.

Jan 4, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #4,022 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would consider just getting Lightroom instead of either one. If you're just making simple exposure adjustments, which seems to be the case, then it will work great with the RAW files, and you get an incredible image organization and workflow software as well. If you are currently using file structures to organize your images, lightroom will change your life. seriously.

Lightroom 3 Beta is currently available now for download. It wouldn't hurt to give it a try before you pull the trigger. Considering that the Beta is free, you won't lose anything. I currently use Lightroom since I mostly make simple adjustments (cropping, straightening, color correction) but its main draw for me has been the organization.

Jan 4, 2010 at 9:43 AM Post #4,023 of 5,895
Quote:

I also want to get a new lens to go with the D300s and am split between the Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 and Nikon 16-85 f/3.5-5.6. Anyone have any advice to offer or should I just buy both?

Get the Tamron 17-50 2.8. Optically, it is just as good as the Nikon. The new one has a focus motor and image stabilization. That should leave you enough money to get the Nikon 35mm 1.8 prime or Sigma 30 1.4.

Jan 4, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #4,024 of 5,895
Quote:

A D300s, wow. That's a nice camera. If you want good image quality, consider the non DX lenses also.

Jan 4, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #4,025 of 5,895
Think I need a new camera. Maybe not. Could use advice.

I'm using a D40 to take pictures through a microscope. The viewfinder is way too small to focus or judge the lighting. As you can imagine, lighting can take a very long time to get right, so it's a real pain to only judge after taking a picture and transferring it to a computer. I need something that can be previewed on a computer or a large LCD screen. A minor issue is the mirror movement shakes the camera. Ideally, it would also do video. As I understand it, having video with a picture grab feature would automatically solve the shaking.

Since this is for a microscope, I think lenses are irrelevant--or perhaps I need a camera without lenses. I have an adapter with focus and a 0.7X lens, which I guess is meant to focus the image onto a sensor with a crop factor around 1.4. Close enough for the DX line. I can get threads for a coolpix or most other cameras cheap, but the body of the attachment is $400, so I'd like to stick with that part. The coolpix seems to be the camera most recommended for microscopes, but I'm not sure how that's supposed to work along with the adapter.

Last I checked, the D90 was the cheapest option in the DX line with these features: computer preview and separate mirror movement. Not that I want to spend $900 on this.

I'm thinking a camera is too expensive an option for this use. All that's really needed is the sensor and good software for the computer. I want to get at least as good quality pictures as with the D40. Because of these two problems I often just use a cheap usb video camera and capture images from that, but it's really pretty awful. I need something better. Maybe that's a camera, or maybe a specialized usb camera with decent software. Or is there another option?

Jan 4, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #4,026 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by SiBurning /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Think I need a new camera. Maybe not. Could use advice.

I'm using a D40 to take pictures through a microscope. The viewfinder is way too small to focus or judge the lighting. As you can imagine, lighting can take a very long time to get right, so it's a real pain to only judge after taking a picture and transferring it to a computer. I need something that can be previewed on a computer or a large LCD screen. A minor issue is the mirror movement shakes the camera. Ideally, it would also do video. As I understand it, having video with a picture grab feature would automatically solve the shaking.

Since this is for a microscope, I think lenses are irrelevant--or perhaps I need a camera without lenses. I have an adapter with focus and a 0.7X lens, which I guess is meant to focus the image onto a sensor with a crop factor around 1.4. Close enough for the DX line. I can get threads for a coolpix or most other cameras cheap, but the body of the attachment is $400, so I'd like to stick with that part. The coolpix seems to be the camera most recommended for microscopes, but I'm not sure how that's supposed to work along with the adapter.

Last I checked, the D90 was the cheapest option in the DX line with these features: computer preview and separate mirror movement. Not that I want to spend $900 on this.

I'm thinking a camera is too expensive an option for this use. All that's really needed is the sensor and good software for the computer. I want to get at least as good quality pictures as with the D40. Because of these two problems I often just use a cheap usb video camera and capture images from that, but it's really pretty awful. I need something better. Maybe that's a camera, or maybe a specialized usb camera with decent software. Or is there another option?

They make special camera kits designed specifically to take photos through microscopes. It sounds like adapting a DSLR for a microscope is less than ideal.

If it were me, I would check with the microscope maker for any camera kits they sell, or see if there are any 3'rd party camera kits designed for that microscope.

Jan 5, 2010 at 7:53 AM Post #4,027 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A D300s, wow. That's a nice camera. If you want good image quality, consider the non DX lenses also.

Being DX or Full Frame has nothing to do with image quality. The 17-55 f/2.8 DX will kick the crap out of the 28-80 f/3.5-5.6 any day. A well-designed lens will work well, a poorly-designed lens won't.

Jan 5, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #4,028 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They make special camera kits designed specifically to take photos through microscopes. It sounds like adapting a DSLR for a microscope is less than ideal.

If it were me, I would check with the microscope maker for any camera kits they sell, or see if there are any 3'rd party camera kits designed for that microscope.

I already have the kit. It's basically a tube with a focusing lens and a c-mount fitting plus a fitting to convert c-mount to nikon. I also have a usb camera meant for microscopes, but it's not very good. It produces lousy pictures.

The pictures from the D40 are quite good, which is why I think it better to stick with a real camera maker. Think of it this way: a microscope is just a lens and a stage with some specialized lighting. I already have the lenses and lighting but still need a good camera to actually take the picture. Just getting a better specialized microscope camera is kind of like buying a crappy off brand camera just to stick a nikon lens on it. Only in this case, the lens is the microscope.

Jan 5, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #4,029 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by SiBurning /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Think I need a new camera. Maybe not. Could use advice. <snip> ...

Steve ... would tethered shooting help you? I am no expert - just know that it is possible to "tether" the camera to the computer via usb while shooting. Camera preview is via computer, and shots are immediately saved to computer rather than camera. If this solution will work for you, it just means some software and twiddling to get it going.

Here are some links to get you started ...

Free Tethered Shooting Script for Nikon — DiyPhotoBits.com — A few bits and pieces about photography

Choosing Tethered Shooting Software for Nikon DSLR Cameras | The Photo Geek

Using your Nikon D200 tethered to your computer explained here...

Jan 5, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #4,030 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Being DX or Full Frame has nothing to do with image quality. The 17-55 f/2.8 DX will kick the crap out of the 28-80 f/3.5-5.6 any day. A well-designed lens will work well, a poorly-designed lens won't.

What you say is true, and yet I Find the best lenses to be ones that are not DX (in terms of image quality).

Jan 5, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #4,031 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Steve ... would tethered shooting help you? I am no expert - just know that it is possible to "tether" the camera to the computer via usb while shooting. Camera preview is via computer, and shots are immediately saved to computer rather than camera. If this solution will work for you, it just means some software and twiddling to get it going.

Here are some links to get you started ...

Free Tethered Shooting Script for Nikon — DiyPhotoBits.com — A few bits and pieces about photography

Choosing Tethered Shooting Software for Nikon DSLR Cameras | The Photo Geek

Using your Nikon D200 tethered to your computer explained here...

That works, and on my vista laptop. It certainly makes things easier, and is great value for the money.
smily_headphones1.gif
I've only tested it here on my tabletop aiming around the room, but I can see some benefits immediately. It'll still be slow, but perfectly workable.

Still need to take a shot and wait a few seconds for the image to appear on the computer in order to focus. At least I don't have to remove the card or play around with turning usb mode on and off or touch the camera at all. Only need to turn the little dial on the adapter to focus the image onto the sensor. Once that's done, I can lock it in place and it'll stay (I hope) until... well, I'll see where that leads. Theoretically, it should be good forever. Then again, theoretically, all amplifiers should sound the same.

I'm sure I'll be looking for a better solution, but this looks to be a very nice workaround that should buy me a lot of time. Can't wait to put it to use.

Thanks.

Jan 5, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #4,033 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a question about the Nikon NEF file. I have found that there is a jpeg image file embedded in the NEF file. I also found a little program for extracting it. My question is the jpeg made with the same settings as the raw file or is it the same as you would get if you shot NEF+jpeg? Also is it Large Fine or something else. I cannot find any details on this.

I believe that JPG is only used for reviewing the image on the camera, and to provide thumbnails on your computer. From my experience with a D40, you will already see the limitations in resolution when viewing the shot on camera: at maximum zoom you'll clearly see lots of compression artifact that you don't see when you would've shot JPG/large-fine. In color rendition it would be like shooting NEF+JPG, so you could use it as a reference if you chose to do the raw-conversion in other software for some reason.

Jan 5, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #4,034 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumient /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone tried DXO Optics Pro -software with Nikon RAW-files?

The optics corrections modules interest quite a bit. And there seems to be 30 percent discount if bought today. Tempting...

Tested the trial version a bit. Ok:ish, but wasn't wowed.

Nice pricing they have (for software download and activation code -version):

USA 109 USD = 75 euros
UK 69 £ = 76 euros
Euro-countries = 99 euros

Perhaps I should look for my "London address" from web to get it cheaper

Jan 6, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #4,035 of 5,895
I'm looking for a new lens for my D40 having broken the kit 18-55mm that came with it. Nikon quoted me £100 to repair it but this seems really excessive. I could just buy the same lens again but I was wondering if any of you had any other suggestions. The 18-55 lens was acceptable for most of what I needed it for but I'm thinking it's an ideal situation to try something new maybe. What are the best lenses which will autofocus on the D40? Preferably under $200ish. Does such a lens exist or should I just pay to get my lens repaired?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back