The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Nov 26, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #3,932 of 5,895
Nah I think it's fine for full half and full body shots which is like "60mm". I prefer using more telephoto like 300mm for headshots.

Nov 30, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #3,934 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it for the 85 f/1.4? If so, the effect will be far less, than say on the 35 I am getting. You may as well keep it until you can find a better on on ebay; it may actually improve the pleasing softness of the portraiture! You really do not need Nikon filters except for the wider angle lenses, where Nikon is able to list the recommended narrow ring style for elimination of vignetting.

Yep, this is good to have a Nikon thread here; sometimes Nikonians is just too active and people just seem to want the highlights. A few random things:

I've been reducing the load I carry around, and I came across Power Cords, AC Power Cords, Extension Cords, and Plug Adapters - Signal and Power Delivery Systems who carry a useful right angle plug adapter so you can leave the extension cord at home and plug the Nikon battery charger directly into the wall:
YL-1113L.jpg
YL-3613L.jpg

I got a SB-400 as a really nice Christmas gift from my brother-in-law. Now, I'm using it all the time and plan on getting a SC-29 which will still allow my SB-800's AF assist to work off camera

SB-400
4806_180.jpg

SC-29
4766_180.jpg

With the re-introduction of Fuji Velvia 50, I am planning on dusting off the F3 and doing both film and digital when I take my long trip to NZ in June. I've kept only one DX lens, the 10.5 mm and am pretty much done with the lens purchases, except for maybe another copy of the 35 f/1.4 if the one coming is not good, and except for maybe one of the older 55 f/2.8 Micro-Nikkors if I can find an affordable one in like new condition.

I really like the Kirk right angle bracket for the D200, that I got from Nikonians awhile back, it really helps with the product photography, since I am using a carbon fiber tripod and this seems to get off-balance easily.

I now pretty much use the 10.5DX for all of the trade show photography work; I find it amazing that the other photographers there have not caught onto this. It makes for great shots, especially when there are a great deal of people in the booth and it is just so compact.

After trying Capture NX, I am taking it off my PC; it is sooooo much slower that Photoshop CS and really takes so much getting used to. I'll just stick to the RAW plug-in.

Is film dead? Nope! I am thinking that processing locations will reduce their costs to keep it still fairly attractive for those with legacy cameras. So keep that brick of Velvia in the fridge and don't sell the F3. If you don't have one of these "flagship" Nikons, I recommend scooping one of the mint ones available on ebay:
here
and
here

Nowing that they have approached the limit of affordable lens/DX Imager capabililty, the new "pro" standard will most likely be the D3. I feel really bad for all the D2x and D2xs users that shelled out $4K plus; I hope they got their use out of it. I can't even bring myself to sell the D2h; the loss (price drop) was just incredible. The D3 will essentially relieve the user from having to have such an exacting, tiny, dense DX imager that could be quite susceptible to motion, lens issues, etc. I have found the D200 to be more forgiving in that way, but then again, I was fortunate to get a couple of really great lenses.

GREAT to see a fellow photographer keeping the faith on film. I LOVE the Velvia, although I miss Kodachrome every now and then.

Dec 2, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #3,936 of 5,895
I recently went on a trip to Mexico, and simply brought my little D50, all purpose 18-200, and polarizer. Won't be world class photos (sadly), but it gave me the freedom to take a variety of nice pictures without being too heavy.

Funny thing was, while I was taking a picture of a wedding, a fellow photographer buff started talking with me and showing me his film leica. It was a very cool looking little thing. I am always amazed at the small size of the lenses on the leica's.......... they are TINY! I also loved the little finger focuser.

Dec 2, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #3,937 of 5,895
I just picked up a Sigma (maybe 1994) 18mm prime 35mm camera SLR lens and want to modify it to fit my Nikon F2. What parts do I need? Photos to follow.THX for the help.

DSCF0176-2.jpg

DSCF0175-2.jpg

DSCF0173-2.jpg

Dec 3, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #3,939 of 5,895
I guess if it was cheap, and fills FX, it might very well be worth it. I wouldn't mind one
wink.gif
If you know what kind of mount it is you could probably get an adapter on ebay. A quick look around google says m42 but I'm not sure.

Dec 3, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #3,940 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Braver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess if it was cheap, and fills FX, it might very well be worth it. I wouldn't mind one
wink.gif
If you know what kind of mount it is you could probably get an adapter on ebay. A quick look around google says m42 but I'm not sure.

You say fills DX, so you want one if it fills frame on say like a D40 -D80? And no dark edges? I will try it with an adaptor on the F2 then D40. THX I will let you know. I found it in a thrift store like new for $26.00 usd. So if it does not work, to Ebay it goes. I will take a $ 9.00 usd adaptor risk.

Dec 3, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #3,941 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redcarmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You say fills DX, so you want one if it fills frame on say like a D40 -D80? And no dark edges? I will try it with an adaptor on the F2 then D40. THX I will let you know. I found it in a thrift store like new for $26.00 usd. So if it does not work, to Ebay it goes. I will take a $ 9.00 usd adaptor risk.

I find it funny that you asked how to use it with a nikon when you knew it takes a 9$ adapter to mount it on a nikon..........
^_~

Should be interesting to see what results you get from it. If I had it, I would be curious myself.

Dec 3, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #3,942 of 5,895
To tell you the truth I have a degree in photography. I worked as a profesional photographer. I have been away from it at this level for 19 years. I think an adaptor would work from E-Bay. No, I am not asking a question I have the answer to. I will post the results. I never have used an adaptor and only used original manufacturer equipment.

Dec 3, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #3,943 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redcarmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No, I said FX and meant FX. My kitlens goes to 18mm at f3.5, on DX that's nothing special. It's FX where 18mm gets interesting and if it works it might be cool to pick one up for my FE.
I'm looking forward to see some shots with it!

Dec 3, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #3,944 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently went on a trip to Mexico, and simply brought my little D50, all purpose 18-200, and polarizer. Won't be world class photos (sadly), but it gave me the freedom to take a variety of nice pictures without being too heavy.

Funny thing was, while I was taking a picture of a wedding, a fellow photographer buff started talking with me and showing me his film leica. It was a very cool looking little thing. I am always amazed at the small size of the lenses on the leica's.......... they are TINY! I also loved the little finger focuser.

Leicas really are something. I'm currently in the market for an M7 and 35mm lens, though I may very well need to sell my D200 to raise enough cash before I take the plunge.

Dec 4, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #3,945 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Braver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I said FX and meant FX. My kitlens goes to 18mm at f3.5, on DX that's nothing special. It's FX where 18mm gets interesting and if it works it might be cool to pick one up for my FE.
I'm looking forward to see some shots with it!

There's a Zeiss 18mm that works with FX if you want to.. but of course you can't pick that up for US$ 26....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back