The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Oct 20, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #3,841 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you guys use lens hoods? I always have, but shot without one last weekend, and it was kind of nice. My 24-70 is really intense with the lens hood, and it was just one less thing to worry about. I happened to wind up shooting into teh sun a lot though, so it was a bad day to leave it behind. But I wonder if the hood really makes a difference. Seems like they wouldn't include them if they didn't. Any thoughts?

I never, ever use lens hoods. And I have them. I doubt that they have any real effect, and to me they make already cumbersome kit (SLRs and their massive lenses) even more conspicuous.

If the sun is really harsh and direct or anything, I'll just use my hand to block it.

Oct 20, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #3,843 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always use a lens hood. I've yet to have one inconvenience me to the point where I felt it necessary to disabuse myself of it.

X2, lens hood will also help out a little if you drop the lens.

Oct 20, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #3,844 of 5,895
If I'm outside on a sunny day, and if possible, I attach the lens hood. I hate having to hold the camera with one hand while blocking out the sun with the other hand.

Oct 22, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #3,845 of 5,895
I don't hang my camera around my neck. I keep it in a side bag so it is inconspicuous. I skip the hood and use a HMC filter and lens cap instead.

Oct 22, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #3,846 of 5,895
H.rav:

If you are free, would you mind posting some point of lights bokeh of your Zeiss 100 please? I wanna see how it renders things wide open.
Aussie dollar is recently strong, I think this is the perfect time to purchase one if I want to. But I still have slight hesitation mainly because I already have 90mm Tamron (excellent bokeh by the way), and 85mm Nikon. That, and convincing your other half is the hardest part.

Oct 23, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #3,847 of 5,895
just buy it you know it's going to be amazing
biggrin.gif

I'd like to see pics too though.

Oct 23, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #3,848 of 5,895
I have to somewhat convince my partner though.
Also say if she approved it, I would need to sell my Tamron 90mm which I really really don't want to do because this lens is amazingly nice - can't fault this lens at all.
If I were to get it though, I just hope that this Zeiss is worth all the sacrifice I'd make.

Oct 23, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #3,849 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
H.rav:

If you are free, would you mind posting some point of lights bokeh of your Zeiss 100 please? I wanna see how it renders things wide open.
Aussie dollar is recently strong, I think this is the perfect time to purchase one if I want to. But I still have slight hesitation mainly because I already have 90mm Tamron (excellent bokeh by the way), and 85mm Nikon. That, and convincing your other half is the hardest part.

Sure, I'll post a few pics tomorrow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to somewhat convince my partner though.
Also say if she approved it, I would need to sell my Tamron 90mm which I really really don't want to do because this lens is amazingly nice - can't fault this lens at all.
If I were to get it though, I just hope that this Zeiss is worth all the sacrifice I'd make.

Lol...

The Tamron 90mm is a very nice lens. The only cons that I don't like is the built quality.

Oct 23, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #3,851 of 5,895
I don't care about brand names
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #3,852 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by h.rav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure, I'll post a few pics tomorrow.

Lol...

The Tamron 90mm is a very nice lens. The only cons that I don't like is the built quality.

I can tell you are obviously spoiled by the build quality of your Zeiss. After using that for awhile I don't think you will find lenses even those in the range of Nikon pro lenses will be that solid anymore.
Regular Joes will usually think the build quality of that Tamron 90mm is actually pretty good unlike some of the cheaper version of Tamron/Sigma/Nikon zoom kits.
Actually I also think the build quality of the 90mm is quite decent, and better than 17-50mm version.

What other lenses do you use by the way?

I'm gonna get 100mm Zeiss, but really with that kind of money I can probably source at least a used Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 that is still in immaculate condition.
The thing is although that Nikon 24-70mm is very convenient and offers very good image quality, I think it won't be as good as the Zeiss 100mm, don't you think?

I know it's not a fair comparison because one is a zoom lens (although top of the range) and the other one is dedicated macro prime, but I always put image quality on the top of the list and I am not very fussy with focal length and can work with what I have.
Plus from what I see, the Zeiss colour rendering is nicer than Nikon's.

I've read a lot of information and arguments about this Zeiss 100mm. I've never come across one single person who is unhappy with this lens. But it also creates a bit of controversy because some people say that the superiority this Zeiss has is just the imagination of the owners and they reckon it's not that much different compared to Nikon's ones (placebo effect?).
But then again, I also see this difference, and I am not an owner. I don't know what is, but pictures just look nicer with the Zeiss. Colour is nice, contrast is nice. Not that non-Zeiss lenses can't have good colour and contrast, but the pictures taken properly with Zeiss has this special feel to it.

I really wish that this lens won't disappoint me considering I am still getting it although I already have 85mm and 90mm range.

Oct 24, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #3,853 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by h.rav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't care about brand names
wink.gif
tongue.gif

yeah I don't either really. But I have a lot of good memories shooting with zeiss and Hasselblad, and I just love the idea of feeling like I'm merging my Nikon with that old camera in some way. Silly I know. But some of my favorite images were taken with that zeiss (not because of the zeiss though
wink.gif
) and shooting with a digital camera just doesn't feel the same, as good a camera as the D3 is.

I'm curious if I would enjoy shooting with the manual focus/aperature. I like the precision of auto focus, but it's almost too easy. Like automatic clutch. You like the m focus h. rav?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back