The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Aug 25, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #3,661 of 5,895
The TC-200 is quite cool. I hooked it up to my micro 60mm and was surprised that it effectively doubled my magnification.

This image above was with just the micro 60mm, focused as close as I could, so 1:1 magnification.

This image above is with the micro 60mm and TC-200, focused as close as I could. I assume it's roughly 1:0.5.

Very cool!
I'm still waiting to see someone take a macro telephoto lens, use extension tubes, a teleconverter, and just to top it off, add a closeup lens on the end. Picture quality might not be that great, but I bet you could get some FANTASTIC results!!!

By the way, don't compare image quality among the two above pictures. I shot both hand held in dim light.

Aug 25, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #3,662 of 5,895
Here I used the TC-200 with my very old Nikon 80-200 F/4.5n.

Using this lens, I noticed there was a slight to modest blurring of the image depending on what I was taking a picture of. This was shot at 200mm, so with a 2x teleconverter, and a 1.5x crop sensor, that's giving me an effective focal length of about 600mm. Not too shabby for a 70$ lens and a 50$ teleconverter. I noticed that wide open the results were more blurry than if I stopped down to F/8 (becoming F/16). That picture was taken hand held, and manual focus, so some softness is due to me of course.

I was able to get some cool closeup pictures of a great blue heron in the campus pond.

Again, hand held and manual focus at 200mm F/8.

Fun stuff!

Aug 28, 2009 at 8:59 AM Post #3,664 of 5,895
SONY just announced a new full frame A850 with US$2,000 RRP. Yes, that's RRP, so it can actually go cheaper than that in real life.
I am actually very glad they did this. You can tell that they are aggressively trying to squeeeze in between Canon and Nikon. You can tell because usually products associated with SONY are higher priced than competition but not so with their DSLRs.

With pricing like that for a full frame (and US$800 RRP for their 28-75mm f/2.8), I am quite sure this will shake things up a bit in DSLR market.

Canon and Nikon would have to offer much more to the table now. Good news for all DSLR users regardless of brands I guess. (bad news for Canon and Nikon)

If Sony can regularly release high quality glasses with attractive pricing, I think Nikon and Canon will sh|t their pants. And this is coming from a Nikon guy.

So thank you SONY, and Nikon, now gimme my D800 or D700s.

Too bad Panasonic doesn't have the knowledge (or maybe they don't want to invest that much) to compete with the big boys in DSLR world or else it would be very interesting. And Leica is living in their own world...

Additional info: And this is the review for the Sony.

Aug 28, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #3,665 of 5,895
Competition is always good.

As long as Canon and Nikon make better lenses, they can charge for them. Nikon's 24-70 2.8 is the best. This new Sony lens won't focus as well and image quality is to be seen.

A850 should make a nice studio cam. I'd prefer to use D700 as it's more versatile if I only had one cam.

Aug 29, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #3,666 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Canon and Nikon would have to offer much more to the table now.

Not so. I prefer a camera that has been made with the photographer in mind. The Sony cameras do not have this air about them which the Nikon and Canon's do. Too often I have read things about the sony's that makes me think "who could have designed it that way.......". I think to myself, if only they had had more photographers working on their team instead of software/electrical engineers....

I'll leave sony to making their low priced stuff, and when I want a serious camera Nikon and Canon are what I look to.

I guess, if you can think in terms of cars, it's the classic example of the Honda NSX. Who cares if the car performs just as good as the ferrari, it's missing the little things that make the ferrari a ferrari.

Aug 29, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #3,668 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not so. I prefer a camera that has been made with the photographer in mind. The Sony cameras do not have this air about them which the Nikon and Canon's do. Too often I have read things about the sony's that makes me think "who could have designed it that way.......". I think to myself, if only they had had more photographers working on their team instead of software/electrical engineers....

Funny that you should mention this. That's how I generally feel about Canon. The old Minolta cameras were great. When Sony bought them out, they weren't too far off. Oddly it's my Nikon where I have to read the manual and others not really. Regardless, I can shoot with anything. I don't care about things like ergonomics or menus or buttons.

Aug 29, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #3,669 of 5,895
Regardless of camera brand I am pretty sure with any brands even though you find it difficult in terms of menu/user interface/etc, after a month or two you will know it like the back of your hand.

I am more interested in the system as a whole.

Aug 29, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #3,670 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'll leave sony to making their low priced stuff, and when I want a serious camera Nikon and Canon are what I look to.

I guess, if you can think in terms of cars, it's the classic example of the Honda NSX. Who cares if the car performs just as good as the ferrari, it's missing the little things that make the ferrari a ferrari.

What things, besides video capture and live-view, are Sony's new full-frame A850 missing? Sure, the company's lens selection isn't as robust as Canon's or Nikon's, but otherwise the A850 seems just as capable a camera as anything sold today by the major brands.

Aug 29, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #3,671 of 5,895
I have no clue.

What I'm trying to get at is that, it might not even be missing features, it's just they might not have been as well thought out as you get with nikon and canon.
I get the impression that the sony's are not designed with the photographer in mind as well as the nikon or canon's. My hunch is I'm not the only one who thinks this way (whether wrong or right).

Aug 30, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #3,673 of 5,895

Users who are viewing this thread

Back