The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Jul 20, 2009 at 10:42 AM Post #3,542 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No camera will meter that properly because the difference between the direct sunlight to the eagle compared to the dark unlit area is too much.

Your joking, right?

My D50 does.................
It's called spot metering, used with AE-L.

Jul 20, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #3,543 of 5,895
Obviously you don't know what you're talking about. Spot metering only meters like what it says - the spot (and around it) area, it won't perfectly meter both extremes. There is a reason why wedding photographer loves Fuji S5. No cameras will perfectly meter BOTH dark and bright sides, you need to expose twice for that. If your D50 can do that, all pros will be carrying D50 not S5. Heck even S5 can't do that - they rely on the high detail of DR to recover the highlight.

Jul 20, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #3,545 of 5,895
Quote:

Obviously you don't know what you're talking about.

I'll assume if you said that in person, it would not have been meant to be mean, though that's how it reads....

I didn't know that's what you were trying to get across in your last post.
It's true, you must work with what you have. If your camera can not capture the whole scene within it's dynamic range, then you have to choose. What I was commenting on is that for the bird picture, if I had taken it, I would have made sure the bird was properly exposed, even if that means the leaves and trees are under exposed. The bird is the main subject, so it gets priority.

Jul 21, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #3,546 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I was commenting on is that for the bird picture, if I had taken it, I would have made sure the bird was properly exposed, even if that means the leaves and trees are under exposed. The bird is the main subject, so it gets priority.

Agreed completely!

Jul 21, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #3,547 of 5,895
i think there has been miscommunication here. my original intention was to let Oldpa know that he should take it easy because no camera will meter and perfectly expose the whole extremes in his image anyway.
back to the topic, yeah, i hate you Irondreamer. you and your d700.
biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #3,548 of 5,895
Ooo! I am happy tonight! The mailman brought me a refurb Canon SD880is today. That gives me a great camera in every camp: pocket- Canon SD880, DSLR- Nikon D200, SLR- Nikon F3, Medium Format- Mamiya RB67. I'm set now.

Jul 21, 2009 at 9:21 AM Post #3,549 of 5,895
You forgot Polaroid. Although it's sort of extinct now.
By the way my dream target is by next year is I want to have in my hands a 1.2 lens and a very high ISO performing new DLSR, and have fun shooting in the dark.

Jul 21, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #3,550 of 5,895
Quote:

i think there has been miscommunication here. my original intention was to let Oldpa know that he should take it easy because no camera will meter and perfectly expose the whole extremes in his image anyway.

Thank you and thanks to Iron Dreamer for his rational and positive attempt at solution. My objection was just to the tactlessly insulting negativism of Tower7's initial comment and note he never saw fit to answer my question to him; consider the source.

As things would have it, the answer is far simpler. I had adjusted the D300's exposure control to overexpose by a full stop for a fill-flash situation that I was working on the day before and forgot to return the setting. Problem solved. And, other than Tower7, I have been receiving nothing but compliments on the image.

Tower7, you want to know how to avoid these situations? Try asking helpful questions instead of making insulting comments. It's a start.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 21, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #3,551 of 5,895
Quote:

back to the topic, yeah, i hate you Irondreamer. you and your d700.
biggrin.gif

Well...I hate you...you and your...great hair?
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ooo! I am happy tonight! The mailman brought me a refurb Canon SD880is today. That gives me a great camera in every camp: pocket- Canon SD880, DSLR- Nikon D200, SLR- Nikon F3, Medium Format- Mamiya RB67. I'm set now.

Nice deal! But what about an 8x10?
biggrin.gif

I'd definitely like to try MF someday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Towert7, you want to know how to avoid these situations? Try asking helpful questions instead of making insulting comments. It's a start.
smily_headphones1.gif

He has an issue with being overly abrasive. I've just taken to ignoring it. Have you ever seen a picture of him? He's just a big softie at heart!
wink.gif

Jul 21, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #3,553 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't he somewhat resemble the younger brother on "Pete & Pete"? That's what he looks like in my head, at least.

Ok, I need to see a picture of that!

Jul 21, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #3,554 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tower7, you want to know how to avoid these situations? Try asking helpful questions instead of making insulting comments. It's a start.
smily_headphones1.gif

I treat others like I like being treated, which is being offered the blatant truth.
I know some people don't appreciate this, and would rather I beat around the bush. If that's the case, I'm sorry. After all, I only offer my comments to try and help, never to put someone down.

Jul 21, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #3,555 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you ever seen a picture of him? He's just a big softie at heart!
wink.gif

This is sooo true!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back