The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Jul 15, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #3,511 of 5,895
Hi guys, I'm pretty new for DSLRs, and I'm thinking if getting a d90 in next month. I noticed that it has been a while since the d90 first came out, so my question is that should I get d90 next month, or wait for the new model. However, many of you guys would say that camera is a piece of technology, and the next model will come out anyway. So what I'm trying to say here is that I am not in a rush to get d90. Sorry if my English is confusing.

Jul 15, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #3,513 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
D40.

Not necessarily; I think your post could use some further explanation...

@l1f35ux: I seriously wouldn't worry about a new model Nikon replacing the D90. The faster you purchase a camera, the faster you can start taking pictures and improving your composition skills. Regardless, you don't need the latest technology or the fanciest lens to capture great images.

Jul 15, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #3,514 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the extra price just wasn't in the cards for me at this point, and realistically, the benefits of the D3 wouldn't have made much a difference to me. The only one I'd really want is the 100% viewfinder.

Plus the D700/MB-D10 has the flexibility of being two parts, so I can have a smaller or larger setup, depending on where I'm going. I don't know that I'd want a fixed pro-size body as my only DSLR.

Just more of the same, hopefully better, though. I already know that this camera is a boon to handheld and windy macro shooting, the high ISO and FPS let me get shots I'd never get with the D200.

Want to feel worse about your photographic skills? Just cruise the photo fora at Fred Miranda. That always sets me back a level or two. No matter how skilled you might be, there is always someone more clever.

So I just have fun with it. I get as much enjoyment out of just being out shooting the pictures, as I do viewing/editing them. I think it is the application of creative energy that does it for me. And to think, most of my life, I had thought myself to be a completely non-creative person
confused_face_2.gif

Grats on the new body! I'm jealous
tongue.gif

Have you noticed any falloff towards the edges with the full frame?

I forget where, but I was reading someone's page that said full size sensors have a problem related to the angle the light hits the sensor. Basically, the film chemicals are right at the surface of the "sensor", but with a digital sensor, the actual sites where the photons are collected are at the bottom of tiny little buckets. Due to the sharp angle the light hits the sensor, the buckets at the edges of the sensor will not collect as much light as those in the center of the sensor. They had me convinced until I saw your shot with the D700. I had been planning to upgrade to a full size sensor at some point, but that article made me consider sticking to the DX sensor. Have you noticed any fallout?

Even if you have noticed the falloff towards the edges, I'm jealous
tongue.gif
I've started to adjust to the focal lengths of my DSLR vs those of my old 35mm film camera, but it's kinda weird, the old length seem "normal" to me. These new focal length seem convoluted :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by l1f35ux /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys, I'm pretty new for DSLRs, and I'm thinking if getting a d90 in next month. I noticed that it has been a while since the d90 first came out, so my question is that should I get d90 next month, or wait for the new model. However, many of you guys would say that camera is a piece of technology, and the next model will come out anyway. So what I'm trying to say here is that I am not in a rush to get d90. Sorry if my English is confusing.

Get the D90 if you think it is what you "need:. I bought my D80 about 2 months before the D90 was released. I might have been able to save a little $$ after the D90 was released, but I wouldn't have bought a D90 at the time. For a little while I regretted buying when I did, but it didn't last long. I'm completely happy with my purchase. Especially if you're new to DSLRs, you will learn soooo much with your first body, that it really won't matter.

It gets said often, but it could be said more and still be true...
The photographer matters more then the gear.

Jul 15, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #3,516 of 5,895
I think when you focus too much on researching DSLRs, you start looking at them like any other consumer electronic device. Suddenly you start thinking "oh, that has a brighter viewfinder, and oh! this one is lighter, and it does HD! VIDEO!" and wonder if spending an extra $500 is worth it for x more features.

Regardless of the trick program modes and other such magic, these cameras still just take pictures, and the F mount will be around for quite a while longer
biggrin.gif

Jul 15, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #3,517 of 5,895
Quote:

I would rather have a nicer lens for a FF. At the very least, constant-aperture.

Sure, I'd love to have the 14-24/24-70/70-200 setup. Along with plenty of other stuff....you wanna help
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you noticed any falloff towards the edges with the full frame?

Not any more than I expected. I think using FX lenses on DX bodies have spoiled people a bit as it regards falloff/vignetting. But as my DX lenses go, they all have some noticeable falloff wide-open on the D200, as is true for FX lenses on the D700. And of course wides are worse than telephotos. But when using f/8-f/11 on DX, and f/11-f/16 on FX, as I do for a lot of photos, falloff just doesn't come into play much.

I don't find it to be an enormous issue. Falloff is more noticeable on my Sigma 24-60 f/2.8 at 24mm f/2.8, but for the size of the lens, I can live with it. At smaller apertures, and longer focal lengths, it's a non-issue.

Quote:

Color me skeptical that the next DX camera will be THAT much better than the D90. Canon has already shown the IQ issues of cramming 15mp into a DX body with the 50D. Maybe Nikon can pull it off, but who knows.

The D5000/D90/D300 all look to have very similar IQ, so it comes down mostly to features/size. The D5000 is at a very nice price/performance point, if you don't mind losing AF on non-motor-driven lenses.

The D40 is also a great camera, if you can live with its' limitations (mostly AF related). It has the best IQ of all the Nikon 6MP cams, and is very small/portable, and goes for some crazy prices lightly used these days.

Jul 15, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #3,519 of 5,895
I would never suggest a d40/d60 because of the annoying cost and limitations associated with lenses. Get a d80/xti/xsi.

@irondreamer get a 50 1.8 or 1.4 cheap fast glass.

Jul 15, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #3,520 of 5,895
I started on a D40 and loved it. There's something to be said about an autofocus body, but between the 18-55, the 55-200, and the 35 f/1.8 there are plenty of excellent, affordable VR lenses that make the d40 plenty worthwhile. Non-VR lenses continue to become obsolete, looking at Nikon's product line, so buying a camera just to accomodate their increasing obsolescence seems like a bad value to me. That's just me, though, saying you can take some really great pictures with the d40, and really hone your skills. In 4 years both bodies will be worthless.

Jul 15, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #3,521 of 5,895
Quote:

If you're just starting with photography, it is asinine to get something amazing. I think you should learn with something like the D40 first, until you can actually appreciate and use the extra capabilities of something like the D90.

From a technical perspective, the capabilities of both models are roughly equal. The only area in which the D90 really succeeds the D40 is in auto-focus, as the D90 offers both an in-built focus motor and a rather complex AF system to back it up.

Considering that the higher level Nikon has an LCD of unbelievable quality, improved high-ISO performance, and the ability to use cheaper, decades old AF lenses that rival the performance of AF-S ones today, I'd hardly consider the D90 an "asinine" purchase.

Jul 15, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #3,522 of 5,895
Quote:

If you're just starting with photography, it is asinine to get something amazing. I think you should learn with something like the D40 first, until you can actually appreciate and use the extra capabilities of something like the D90.

Oh, how wrong you are.

You need to reword that statement to say that it was asinine for you to get something amazing.

Other people are more than capable of handling a D90 as their first DSLR. Myself included.

Jul 15, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #3,523 of 5,895
Quote:

The D90 is the cat's ass as far as cameras go. Who cares what comes out later.
Get it, love it, and enjoy the pictures you take. Plus, think of how much extra fun you'll have with that nice D90 compared to waiting for it's successor to come out some day. After all, that's why you're thinking of getting a DSLR, right? To enjoy photography.

Jul 16, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #3,525 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That sounds simply awful

LOL. I've never heard that expression myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back