The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Jun 1, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #3,391 of 5,895
Zodduska, are you the one who bought the S5 Pro? I can't remember.
Reason why I'm asking is because those pictures got very similar colour tones like my S5, especially the indoor shots.

Jun 1, 2009 at 8:59 AM Post #3,392 of 5,895
I love how no one has taken up Dj Mocock on his offer for "The Fame" haha.

I can't laugh too much though. Lady GaGa is my guilty pleasure. If you like Poker Face, you should listen to the version with Kid Cudi, Kanye, and Common. Soooo much better than the original, and the original is already not so bad.

But yeah, I feel so wrong for enjoying that album and having it on my iPhone lol.

Jun 1, 2009 at 10:49 AM Post #3,393 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heavy, massive, expensive 24-70/2.8 or 50/1.4 and feet?

It's not as black and white as you make it out. Both serve a purpose.

Still, 8 times out of 10 I would pick the heavy, massive, expensive 24-70mm F/2.8. I'm no wimp, so the weight doesn't bother me. All that means is I take more pictures that make use of a zoom rather than a fast midrange prime. Doesn't mean one is better than the other.

Jun 1, 2009 at 12:24 PM Post #3,394 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by nineohtoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love how no one has taken up Dj Mocock on his offer for "The Fame" haha.

I can't laugh too much though. Lady GaGa is my guilty pleasure. If you like Poker Face, you should listen to the version with Kid Cudi, Kanye, and Common. Soooo much better than the original, and the original is already not so bad.

But yeah, I feel so wrong for enjoying that album and having it on my iPhone lol.

I must admit that it's my guilty pleasure listening to Just Dance and Poker Face.

I am not sure if Gordy (the strap maker) should feel offended or not that no one took the offer of his strap for a Lady Gaga CD.

Saying that, I also don't mind trading the strap with 2 Lady Gaga singles - Just Dance and Poker Face.

Offer still valid guys.

Jun 1, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #3,395 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not as black and white as you make it out. Both serve a purpose.

Still, 8 times out of 10 I would pick the heavy, massive, expensive 24-70mm F/2.8. I'm no wimp, so the weight doesn't bother me. All that means is I take more pictures that make use of a zoom rather than a fast midrange prime. Doesn't mean one is better than the other.

Why? It makes you more conspicuous. And it doesn't make me lazy or a wimp to not want 2lbs. of lens adding to the weight I have to carry. Aside from that, it is simply a massive lens.

To be honest, I don't see any need for such a lens when it covers so little. 24-70? Really not all that much. One body with a wide-angle zoom or prime, another with a 50/1.4 and I've got all of my up close and personal ranges covered. If I think I'll be on something farther away I'll slap on a 200mm prime or 70-200 zoom or whatever else I can get my hands on.

Weight matters when you're on your feet all day with multiple cameras strapped to you.

Jun 1, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #3,396 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Zodduska, are you the one who bought the S5 Pro? I can't remember.
Reason why I'm asking is because those pictures got very similar colour tones like my S5, especially the indoor shots.

Its a D80, the indoor shots were mostly all long exposures at dusk and I tweaked the curves.. the one down the hallway I had to keep a bit dark because a tripod leg was in the shot.
wink.gif

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #3,397 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodduska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its a D80, the indoor shots were mostly all long exposures at dusk and I tweaked the curves.. the one down the hallway I had to keep a bit dark because a tripod leg was in the shot.
wink.gif

I see. You should get the S5 then, saves you from tweaking the curve because it will look like that straight away
smile.gif

But nice work though, I like the colour tone like that.

Jun 1, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #3,398 of 5,895
thanks, I'd like an S5 but I'm holding out for the D300 to become affordable.. maybe next year.

Jun 1, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #3,400 of 5,895
Quote:

Why? It makes you more conspicuous. And it doesn't make me lazy or a wimp to not want 2lbs. of lens adding to the weight I have to carry. Aside from that, it is simply a massive lens.

To be honest, I don't see any need for such a lens when it covers so little. 24-70? Really not all that much. One body with a wide-angle zoom or prime, another with a 50/1.4 and I've got all of my up close and personal ranges covered. If I think I'll be on something farther away I'll slap on a 200mm prime or 70-200 zoom or whatever else I can get my hands on.

Weight matters when you're on your feet all day with multiple cameras strapped to you.

Who said anything about the 24-70? Tamron's 17-50 covers the same range for DX cameras and weighs little more than a 50mm lens.

Plus, composition with a single lens is a little more complicated than feet shuffling. Often times the impact of a scene, especially in the case of landscapes, can be diminished by the slightly tight viewpoint of a normal lens.

Jun 1, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #3,401 of 5,895
Quote:

Ah, but that's what I was trying to say. Weight doesn't bother me (well it does, but I'm strong enough to tough it out).
I can do a full day with a mid range zoom on one body, and a tele zoom on another body.

It gets me the best pictures.

Jun 1, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #3,402 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Share your thoughts, questions, etc, about Nikon (or other related SLR products, but no brand war please) here.
Or if you wanna share your pictures from your brand new camera or lens, or if you wanna see any particular kind of sample pictures from any lenses.

Okay, ready, start talking !
icon10.gif

Oh yeah, I wanna ask a question. Some people have recommended me to take off the Nikon L37c filter from the lens (got it along with the lens). To be honest the only reason why I keep it there is probably because I don't want any dust/finger prints on the lens, and the filter itself is quite expensive, sort of a waste for not using it.
According to them it will affect image quality (plus my filter has some tiny scratches which I think came from wiping the lens when there were still some dust particles). But then again, I haven't seen the real comparison, side by side pictures of a shot taken with and without lens that is showing the difference. Also I assume this L37c is a pretty good filter, won't degrade image quality?

So should I take it off?

DJ,
Keep the Nikon filter on, it's less expensive to replace than the front element. They are made to the same optical standards as the Nikon front element. Slight scratches are bad if you are picking up highlights or bright spots in the viewfinder, then those scratches will create flare and halos. If you had to replace, go with the HOYA Super Multi Coat in the Black Box. It's the BEST they make in terms of coatings, optics are the same. HOYA makes the glass stock for Leica....so you know it's great glass. I have a few years in the Photo Industry so I know a few things.

Jun 2, 2009 at 11:06 AM Post #3,403 of 5,895
On the mid range zoom vs. normal prime debate, I'd do both. I can definitely see the argument for both sides. I personally love shooting with primes myself, but understand where someone would rather have a slightly slower zoom that can cover a wider range. IMO people tend to use zooms to fit subjects and objects into a frame and snap away, whereas people use primes more creatively and select their shots given their restrictions. Of course there are exceptions, but this is what I tend to see.

I used to swear by a 50mm equiv. FOV, but I found it a little restricting indoors and for street shooting, which is what I enjoyed outside of shows. I think I loved that it got me close enough to artists on stage, and the prime lens gave me some nice bokeh. Now that I only use compacts, I keep my camera at 24mm all day(though I'm contemplating an adapter to get 19mm). When with friends and family, it gets me plenty close and intimate, and if I take photos of things farther away I can frame photos to be more epic and larger than life.

Jun 2, 2009 at 12:10 PM Post #3,404 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by glennjamin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DJ,
Keep the Nikon filter on, it's less expensive to replace than the front element. They are made to the same optical standards as the Nikon front element. Slight scratches are bad if you are picking up highlights or bright spots in the viewfinder, then those scratches will create flare and halos. If you had to replace, go with the HOYA Super Multi Coat in the Black Box. It's the BEST they make in terms of coatings, optics are the same. HOYA makes the glass stock for Leica....so you know it's great glass. I have a few years in the Photo Industry so I know a few things.

Thanks for the tip (although I asked that like ages ago, haha...)
But since I am very careful person, I decided to just go bare without filter instead. I don't go to beaches or extreme places, so I think as long as I am careful, everything should be okay.

So far the glass has accumulated only dust particles which I occasionally blow away using blower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back