The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Apr 20, 2009 at 11:35 AM Post #3,271 of 5,895
I wonder what Nikon will bring with the (hopefully soon) upcoming D400. My guess is the usual live view, sensor cleaning, not sure about tilt LCD though, what else... You can only add so much in a new camera, really.

Apr 20, 2009 at 12:10 PM Post #3,272 of 5,895
What a few people are wanting (so I've read on photo.net) and I too would like to see is a FX dSLR based on the FM3a.

There are just to many features and gadgets in cameras today that get in the way of (which takes the enjoyment out of) the photo taking process.

I still enjoy shooting B/W film on my Rollei 6x6 TLRs. My favourite Rollei is the Rolleicord Vb.

Apr 20, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #3,273 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder what Nikon will bring with the (hopefully soon) upcoming D400. My guess is the usual live view, sensor cleaning, not sure about tilt LCD though, what else... You can only add so much in a new camera, really.

A new DX sensor (more mega pixels, better S/N, wider ISO range), new "EXPEED" allowing higher fps for 14-bit NEFs, video/audio (at least 1080p/24fps), auto AD-L, better implementation of Live View, more accurate auto WB, cross-AF sensors distributed more evenly across the frame, even brighter viewfinder, factory provided alternative focusing screens, built in Wi-Fi/Bluetooth sync, etc...

Apr 20, 2009 at 1:37 PM Post #3,274 of 5,895
Funny enough, I figured that I don't really need all those new fancy bell and whistles to be honest. What I really want from a camera is (providing everything is at least as good as current gen one), a viewfinder as large as film SLR camera and a big, bright, high-res LCD - that's all I ask.

Apr 20, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #3,275 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by triode12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are just to many features and gadgets in cameras today that get in the way of (which takes the enjoyment out of) the photo taking process.

I still enjoy shooting B/W film on my Rollei 6x6 TLRs. My favourite Rollei is the Rolleicord Vb.

I like having all those features but just ignore them when not needed. When I shoot all manual they do become mostly irrelevant.

I do lust after the Medium format viewfinders though. I don't like manual focusing on 35mm without split prism.

Apr 20, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #3,276 of 5,895
If you're doing sports, action or nature photography, all the bells and whistles do help. After all, Nikon has to cater for every need.

Apr 23, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #3,277 of 5,895
The 12-24mm came today, and it's really quite impressive. I've never handled or shot with a true wide angle lens before, but composition seems incredibly interesting given the easily distorted perspective of the image.

Here's a quick and dirty snap of the kitchen; shot laying down on the floor:

Apr 23, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #3,278 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny enough, I figured that I don't really need all those new fancy bell and whistles to be honest. What I really want from a camera is (providing everything is at least as good as current gen one), a viewfinder as large as film SLR camera and a big, bright, high-res LCD - that's all I ask.

i totally agree with you. i really don't need live view or video capabilities. my dream camera would basically be a D300 in a size somewhere between the D50 and D60 with the 3" LCD and a large and bright viewfinder. again, no need for live view or video in this camera but i would also want it to have a screw drive. i can wish but i get the feeling that this is a camera that nikon wouldn't make. this dream cameras seems like it'd be a good backup for a professional or enthusiast when he/she doesn't want to carry the main camera.

Apr 23, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #3,279 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's a quick and dirty snap of the kitchen; shot laying down on the floor:

Nice work, I recently bought a Tamron 12-24 and it's taken me a while to get used to shooting with it. I have it permanently on my D70. I also have a D50 which is a great camera as well, but there's an offer of a mint D300 for £300 less than store price and I'm sorely tempted to sell the D50 kit and get the D300. Which seems sorta wrong in a forum dedicated to (spending money on) headphones and amps.
icon10.gif

Apr 23, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #3,280 of 5,895
So after using the 50mm 1.8 exclusively for a while, I needed to focus closer than 45cm, so I replaced the 50mm with the kit 18-55 (D50 days, not the new VR), and the lens' autofocus motor is dead! It managed one last focus and then died, now all I get is a grinding sound. SWM ain't silent anymore
wink.gif
Thankfully it meters fine and I can focus manually.

However, after using the 50mm so much, the focus ring on the kit lens just feels cheap! What irks me is that it hasn't had any bashes, or seen any situations where I had to run with it or something, and after sitting in the camera bag for a month or two it just conks out. Lame, and apparently I'm not the only one this has happened to.

Apr 24, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #3,281 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i totally agree with you. i really don't need live view or video capabilities. my dream camera would basically be a D300 in a size somewhere between the D50 and D60 with the 3" LCD and a large and bright viewfinder. again, no need for live view or video in this camera but i would also want it to have a screw drive. i can wish but i get the feeling that this is a camera that nikon wouldn't make. this dream cameras seems like it'd be a good backup for a professional or enthusiast when he/she doesn't want to carry the main camera.

If Nikon continues the trend of making AFD DX lenses I don't think there will be any screw-drive entry level DSLR anytime soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vagarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif

However, after using the 50mm so much, the focus ring on the kit lens just feels cheap! What irks me is that it hasn't had any bashes, or seen any situations where I had to run with it or something, and after sitting in the camera bag for a month or two it just conks out. Lame, and apparently I'm not the only one this has happened to.

Could be worse - if you are used to Ai (MF) lenses, everything else even pro ones from Nikon won't feel good enough.

Apr 25, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #3,285 of 5,895
Nice pic and lens M0T0! I'm really wanting a wide angle lens now. I've got my eye on the tokina 11-16 but have the same problem as Teraflame.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back