The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Nov 9, 2008 at 8:35 AM Post #2,688 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My D200 has a lot of dust on the sensor. Can't get them all off with my Giotto ROcket Blower even.

Anyone try Sensor Brush. I've been eyeing Visible Dust sensor brush, the motorized spinning kind. Anyone have experience with that one?

I'd like to avoid wet cleaning method, but if it's the safest and best method, so be it.

Any recommendations?

I ran across the same problem a couple months ago. Did the wet cleaning with sensor swabs and methanol, came out clean as a whistle, no problems. I think the difficulty of the process is highly overrated. Just use a headlamp and be in a room with as static air as possible. You might have to use a couple swabs if it is really dirty, and use each swab for no more than one swipe per side (i.e. two per swab).

Nov 9, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #2,689 of 5,895
Quote:

My D200 has a lot of dust on the sensor. Can't get them all off with my Giotto ROcket Blower even.

Anyone try Sensor Brush. I've been eyeing Visible Dust sensor brush, the motorized spinning kind. Anyone have experience with that one?

I'd like to avoid wet cleaning method, but if it's the safest and best method, so be it.

Any recommendations?

There are cheaper products out there. I have used the copperhill brush on my 1Ds and it worked great!

Sensor Cleaning

Nov 9, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #2,690 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by GTRacer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
24-60 is a great range for a PnS. You're not gonna be shooting wildlife in the first place if you're considering an LX3.

60mm isn't even long enough to be a decent portraiture lens. The whole advantage of smaller sensors is the ability to have better and more flexible lenses. On a camera that doesn't have interchangeable lenses, I would much rather have a wider zoom range than one stop of speed.

See ya
Steve

Nov 9, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #2,691 of 5,895
Quote:

Any recommendations?

There is no way around a wet clean. A rocket blower is only good for those big dust speckles that are not adhered to the filter.

Get a set of swabs from Photographic solutions that ought to leave a nice dust free sensor. Photographic Solutions, Inc. - Digital & Photographic Cleaning Solutions

It is not advisable to use a brush before you do a wet clean of the sensor especially not if you have some serious dirt on it. I think you should read the copper hill guides on cleaning.

Nov 10, 2008 at 7:59 AM Post #2,692 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
60mm isn't even long enough to be a decent portraiture lens. The whole advantage of smaller sensors is the ability to have better and more flexible lenses. On a camera that doesn't have interchangeable lenses, I would much rather have a wider zoom range than one stop of speed.

See ya
Steve

I think it all really depends on individual's needs and style. I personally don't need 12X or so, but at least 5 times I think is handy. But the thing is, the lens is so exciting (the f stop that is), it makes me forgive the short range.
Plus from someone who is perfectly fine walking around with a 11-16mm as street, I think I can live with LX3's limited zoom.

Nov 11, 2008 at 8:58 AM Post #2,694 of 5,895
I just ordered a d300 w/16-85 kit and a sb900. Looking around I see a limited selection on FX compatible glass for around 1k on the tele end. If I was still with canon, I'd be looking at the 70-200 F4IS,135L or even a 24-105F4IS. There so much dead space on 'budget' constant aperture glass for nikon.

Nov 11, 2008 at 11:22 AM Post #2,696 of 5,895
ultimately, I love the 24-70 and 14-24, the nikon counterparts are better. I just don't have the money right now for both of those, along with a d700. Hell, I think 17-55 would be great too. I just happen to pick up the 16-85 because it came with the body for only 1829 from B&H. So I have an awesome body but only decent glass for now. I mainly like to shoot people indoors and I feel that nikon has better wide/midrange telephoto and a better flash system. Add a great body like a d300 and there is your answer.

Nov 11, 2008 at 12:01 PM Post #2,697 of 5,895
The 16-85VR is a superb piece of kit. Build quality is up there with the upper-midrange Nikon glass. Apart from the small aperture, it shouldn't be a limiting factor at all.

Nov 11, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #2,698 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There so much dead space on 'budget' constant aperture glass for nikon.

Not if you investigate third party lenses like Tokina, Sigma and Tamron. They make some excellent lenses for DX.

Nov 11, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #2,699 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not if you investigate third party lenses like Tokina, Sigma and Tamron. They make some excellent lenses for DX.

Yeah, the 24-70 f/2.8 by Sigma in particular is an excellent deal for $485.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back