The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Nov 5, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #2,671 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry but we don't have kangaroos here in Australia. It's an urban myth. Too many travel agencies are fooling poor tourists by hiring midgets in kangaroo suits so that they think kangaroos exist and they can take pictures of em. It's a conspiracy I tell you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would rather see a photo of a midget in a kangaroo suit than a real kangaroo.

That's what I was gonna ask for
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Taking picture of offguard midgets in kangaro suits is a difficult and dangerous task, because if they know I am about to foil the big kangaroo conspiracy in Australia, the midgets will contact their HQ and send an assassin-midget squad to track me down - and you don't want to mess with ninja-midgets.

It's safer to take pictures of cactus. I hope you like my cactus pictures below.
See Hayduke, I can take pictures of cactus even not in Arizona. Shame on you!
icon10.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...k/cactus-1.jpg

I live at 7000 ft. Yes, I'm still in Arizona, but there aren't as many cacti here as there are 50-100 miles in any direction :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll take the photo of a midget in a kangaroo's pouch, thanks!
tongue_smile.gif

x2!

Nov 5, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #2,674 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, I forgot that I took the same pics with same lens and settings, but two different bodies.

Shot with a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 at f/1.4, no flash, 400ISO. Sunlight from windows as the source of light.

D200
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...MoMoBed_01.jpg

D80
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...oBed_01D80.jpg

That's odd. You're D80 seems to have underexposed the image. The D80 has somewhat of a reputation for over exposing images.

The poor metering of my D80 sometimes makes me wish I had a different body, but I take mine backpacking, so size and weight are real concerns for me. A D200 or D300 would be too large and heavy

Edit: I just realized that's a Touch Pro in your picture. I'm jealous :p

Nov 8, 2008 at 10:25 AM Post #2,675 of 5,895
Not really Nikon talk but still camera nonetheless, I was thinking to get either Canon G10 or Panasonic LX3 for my 'compact' camera. But I am not sure why I want one. Or maybe should I just save the money for future D400?
Actually I think I am leaning more towards LX3, it's really one unique point&Shoot. Damn I shouldn't have read about it...

Nov 8, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #2,676 of 5,895
I was looking at the LX3 myself. DPreview showed it to have more detail in higher ISO. I think I'm going to hold off for micro 4/3 cams. Do you have a P&S already? I'm most interested in upgrade as these cameras have RAW and hotshoe.

Nov 8, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #2,677 of 5,895
I do, but my P&S is closer to Piece of s**t than point&shoot.
But I don't really need point&shoot anyway. It's really just the gear head talking. Actually thinking whether to get an LX3 or a new lens or to save up for a new DSLR body.

What I like the most about the LX3 is the f/2-2.8 speed. That's awesome. I took a look at G10 this afternoon with my partner. She hated it - I think it's beautiful. But she may be right, it's a bit too big, although it might produce better picture, I mean with that size I might as well just carry my DSLR.

Are you waiting for Panasonic G1 or you mean you're waiting for something in the future?

I hope someone would take one for the team and report back on how well the LX3 performs...

Nov 8, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #2,678 of 5,895
sigmadp1_3q-001.jpg

There has been a bunch of stuff in the photo mags I get about the Sigma DP1 as a serious photog's P&S. 3x4.7MP 3 layer sensor, 2.5" LCD, 28mm equivalent f/4, ISO to 800, 9 zone AF array with cross-type sensors. I seem to remember Popular Photography had a feature on an established photog using the DP1 as his primary and a gallery of his work that was rather nice; you can probably find it on PopPhoto's website. I think it also shoots RAW. I was not impressed with the zoom range of its lense and I've got a perfectly good Casio Exlim EX-Z600 to fit in between the camera in my Treo 650 and my D70 knockabout.

Nov 8, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #2,679 of 5,895
I wouldn't use a P&S unless it has a fast lens. The LX3 is pretty nice. I'm going to wait for Olympus micro 4/3rd as it's smaller than that panasonic G1. I don't need a large camera.

The Sigma DP1 is a prime lens and f4 at that. It's too slow IMO.

Nov 8, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #2,681 of 5,895
The zoom range on the LX3 is too short for me. If I can't change the lens, I want all the necessary focal lengths to be built in.

Nov 8, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #2,682 of 5,895
My D200 has a lot of dust on the sensor. Can't get them all off with my Giotto ROcket Blower even.

Anyone try Sensor Brush. I've been eyeing Visible Dust sensor brush, the motorized spinning kind. Anyone have experience with that one?

I'd like to avoid wet cleaning method, but if it's the safest and best method, so be it.

Any recommendations?

Nov 8, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #2,683 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The zoom range on the LX3 is too short for me. If I can't change the lens, I want all the necessary focal lengths to be built in.

24-60 is a great range for a PnS. You're not gonna be shooting wildlife in the first place if you're considering an LX3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back