The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Oct 12, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #2,536 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are going to actually use your lens, resale value is totally moot.

Speak for yourself.
I on the other hand want to know that if the need ever arises where I want to sell my lens, I will be getting as much as possibly. I want my lens to retain as much value as possible.

After all, who wants to buy a used sigma? :shudder:
I know I don't want to. Much rather have the nikon or canon.

Oct 12, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #2,537 of 5,895
IMO, the value of anything is what you get back out of it. It could be resale value, it could be taking great photos and getting great enjoyment. Or even better, getting paid but if you value the former more then there might be better things to invest in. Something that actually goes up in value? Comic books, stamps, etc..?
tongue.gif

Nothing wrong with third party lenses and the future value is never guaranteed. Once people know that first party lenses aren't always the best choice you may not get back as much money as you thought.

I'm partly talking out my ass as I don't know how the value goes up/down but I wonder what real pros use. Strictly Nikon or Canon? Anything that's given to them by said companies. Do they even have any weight in what amateurs buy? I digress..

Brand recognition will always play a factor but if you know your tools and its limitations, why buy into that? If Nikon works for you, then great. If it comes at the cost of overlooking great alternatives, then it's your loss.
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, I don't baby my stuff so resale value always plummets. If I'm going to use it, I'll use it without worries. When I hear "resale value", I always think about collectors not getting full enjoyment on what it is intended to do. Not saying it's the case here.. Just saying.

I guess I'm saying that I agree with bigshot.

Oct 12, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #2,538 of 5,895
It comes down to what type of a person you are, and how you live.
I'll take the BMW over the Ford Taurus, just as I take the Nikkors over the sigmas.
If you think about if for a while, it's the same thing. Yes, it really is the same thing bigshot (that's a preemptive shhhh) .

^_^

Oct 12, 2008 at 11:56 PM Post #2,539 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What ever helps you sleep at night.

This pretty much sums up the thread lately. Everybody has their own priorities and as long as you don't lose sleep, it's ok. The justification for your purchases are your own. As long as you're happy whether taking blurry photos or using 3rd party lenses, so be it.

I avoid these kinds of conflicts just by owning all of them.
biggrin.gif
1st party, 3rd party, expensive, cheap, Canon, Nikon.
popcorn.gif
Fun stuff. It's all good.
beerchug.gif

Oct 13, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #2,540 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This pretty much sums up the thread lately. Everybody has their own priorities and as long as you don't lose sleep, it's ok. The justification for your purchases are your own. As long as you're happy whether taking blurry photos or using 3rd party lenses, so be it.

biggrin.gif
popcorn.gif
beerchug.gif

LOL, kind of like owning different headphones.
biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #2,541 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL, kind of like owning different headphones.
biggrin.gif

Exactly.
biggrin.gif
And equally as budget devastating.
ph34r.gif
Hide the wallets.

Sometimes there's a gem item in a "cheaper" brand as well as duds in a more "expensive" brand.

Oct 13, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #2,542 of 5,895
Quote:

biggrin.gif
popcorn.gif
beerchug.gif

No kidding, if it does what I want, I don't really care.

Oct 13, 2008 at 7:09 AM Post #2,544 of 5,895
What's wrong with that lens? Too slow to be general purpose?

Oct 13, 2008 at 7:34 AM Post #2,545 of 5,895
Quote:

What's wrong with that lens? Too slow to be general purpose?

Only thing wrong with it is that it costs an average of $1500 used on eBay and I just wouldn't use it enough to justify the price. Now if I were a Pro, I'd buy it in a second.

Heck, I spent over $3K on my Wacom Cintiq without even flinching, because I knew it would pay for itself quickly. And it did.

Oct 13, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #2,547 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only thing wrong with it is that it costs an average of $1500 used on eBay and I just wouldn't use it enough to justify the price. Now if I were a Pro, I'd buy it in a second.

Heck, I spent over $3K on my Wacom Cintiq without even flinching, because I knew it would pay for itself quickly. And it did.

Wow that is a good chunk of change. I just use a zoom lens plus extension tube.

It's always different when you're a pro. You can even go medium format just fine.
biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #2,548 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speak for yourself.

I always do. By the way, Sigma makes some excellent lenses that sell used for quite close to the same price as new. The difference is mostly the value of the four year warranty.

See ya
Steve

Oct 13, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #2,549 of 5,895
Quote:

I avoid these kinds of conflicts just by owning all of them. 1st party, 3rd party, expensive, cheap, Canon, Nikon

Me too. I get the tool that does the job and then I use it. I'd rather spend more time wearing my equipment out using it than sitting on the couch polishing the gold lettering on it with a microfiber cloth or checking ebay to see how much the current resale value is. I certainly don't judge the quality of a photographer by the cost of the equipment in his bag. That's level zero on Ken Rockwell's chart.

See ya
Steve

Oct 14, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #2,550 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Me too. Ken Rockwell.[/URL]

Oh no, you commited the 0'th crime! You mentioned Ken Rockwell in the nikon forum! SHAME!
Let me know when the flame gets over.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
By the way, Sigma makes some excellent lenses

I have yet to see one 'excellent' lens from sigma. They all feel cheap, which they are.
I shudder every time I hear the word sigma.
^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back