The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Oct 8, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #2,491 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand that, but what it comes down to is what is pro gear? For Canon, only L's are considered pro gear? I don't know what it is for Nikon. Or the right lense for the right situation is considered pro gear?

Because the 85 1.8 is nowhere near the build quality of the 85 1.2, but I consider the 1.8 up there and should be considered pro gear, even though it doesn't sport that red L.

Your typical wedding photographer is not going to be using primes, they are going to be using zooms. Again, you CAN'T miss a shoot by changing lenses, and it is only practical to carry two cameras at the same time.
Usually you'll find the pro wedding photographers using the 70-200 F/2.8, and the 24-70mm F/2.8, whether 1.5x crop or not. They will have the best camera with the best high ISO performance, because sometimes you're not allowed to use a flash. ETC

Some wedding photographers try and specialize in a certain 'type' of photography, whether it be film B&W, or other such thing in which case they may only use primes. However, that is not the norm. Some wedding photographers work as a team. One captures the typical shoots, while another tries for more artsy shots.

You'll also find the pros will be using pro flashes with quick recharge packs, etc etc.
Some even bring their own assistant to hold the reflector or whatnot........... but that's talking very professional.

Oct 8, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #2,492 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some even bring their own assistant to hold the reflector or whatnot........... but that's talking very professional.

Reflectors, monopods, soft boxes, light meters, white-balance 'jobbies', step-ladders... the full monty
redface.gif
It's fun watching them hobble around with a few kilograms of gear
biggrin.gif

Oct 8, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #2,493 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A couple of comments... A few posts back, I linked to a thread that mentioned a point and shoot that outperforms a Canon DSLR. There are several reasons for this, principle among them the fact that optics in better quality point and shoots are matched to the sensor. It's a lot easier to create a tack sharp lens with a huge focal length range for a small image sensor than it is for a large one. All that glass makes it harder, not easier to get good optical quality. Also, focus is more critical with DSLRs with large aperture lenses than it is with P&S cameras that are designed to shoot one stop down (usually around 5.6) rather than the f8-11 that most DSLR lenses are optimized for.

The main difference, aside from accessories and lenses, between P&S and DSLR is the low light performance. They both shoot great images.

Neither DSLRs nor point and shoots are any better for creating artistic images. Artistry is 100% in the eye of the photographer, not in the equipment they use. I've seen beautiful photos taken with cameras in cell phones and Goodwill bin cameras.

See ya
Steve

I'll agree with everything you said, and I'll add that there are some things that I find a SLR makes easier. I find it easier to have a quick auto focus. I like the lack of shutter lag. I find it better to hold the camera against my face. I find I can change settings MUCH quicker on the D50. I don't have to go through menu after menu to change a setting. I simply hold a button and flick the dial a few clicks. I can adjust to the lighting conditions within about 10 seconds, whereas digging through menu after menu to change these settings would take me a long time with a P&S. It becomes a pain.
My DSLR feels better in my hand. Feels like less of a toy, and I get a better grip on it. It helps me hold it. I like, as you said, the superior iso performance. I like the infinity superior battery life. Charging batteries is a nightmare, and is one of the great things about DSLR's that I'm so happy about. I like how easy it is to go into manual focus and focus using my fingers instead of pushing buttons. I also like how I can manually zoom without needing to push buttons. (granted, some do have this now)

Now, because of these things, I don't care if a P&S outperforms a DSLR, I'll still take the DSLR. It will make taking pictures much more of a pleasure for me. The camera will get in my way a lot less than the P&S. The DSLR will also give me a much greater flexibility for possible upgrades.

Because of this, I claim the DSLR outperforms the P&S as a camera in general.
Like I said, there is no P&S I would rather have over my D50.

Oct 9, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #2,494 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks again for the advice. Unless I flop back to considering a full blown DSLR, I think it is between that one and the Fujifilm Finepix S100FS. Also considering the Leica V-Lux 1 since it is nearly identical to the Panasonic with Leica styling and I can get it locally for $680CDN after rebate. I can't seem to find anywhere local that sells the Panasonic, but it is listed for $540CDN on ebay.

Hm, Leica V-Lux 1 for 680$cdn,
or Nikon D40 with 18-135mm for 700$cdn
( NIKON D40 DSLR W/ NIKON 18-135 LENS )
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Anyone who chooses the Leica over the Nikon deserves what they get. I'll leave it at that.

Oct 9, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #2,496 of 5,895
Nothing much. Its been tweaked a bit and looks better. Not really worth the premium, but I was considering it since there is currently a $250 rebate on them and I can't seem to find anywhere that carries the Panasonic.

Towert7 - There are benefits to either choice. The D40 isn't a universally superior camera... though obviously you have a strong preference.
wink.gif

Oct 9, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #2,498 of 5,895
Well... there's that too.
biggrin.gif
redface.gif

It is still $100 more expensive than it would be to ebay a new Panasonic though.

Oct 9, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #2,501 of 5,895
The Digilux is a different camera, but that is definately something to investigate.

Oct 9, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #2,502 of 5,895
I've done a little reading on the Panasonic DMC-FZ50k. It is VERY fast at startup, focusing and between shots. The Lumix has a TTL hot shoe for external flash, image stabilization, great color, ergonomic menus, fast startup and focus, it shoots movies and RAW, and has good battery life. Comparing it to an entry level DSLR like the D40, you would need to spend a LOT more to get the equivalent focal length range that the lens built into the Lumix provides. (35-420mm equivalent with f2.8-3.7!) For an all in one compact alternative to a DSLR, the Lumix can't be beat.

It has one drawback compared to a DSLR... high ISO performance. The small sensor that makes it easier to create a 12x zoom with terrific optical quality, makes for more noise in low light. But the lens is relatively fast, and along with the image stabilization, it makes up for the lack of low light performance with an extra couple of f stops over most kit lenses. It will shoot MUCH better handheld in relatively low light than any 35mm camera.

For an advanced amateur, the Lumix is more than enough camera to take great pictures. In full daylight and with a flash, it can shoot just as good images as a DSLR. From what I've seen about this camera, it's a drop dead bargain for the price. I wouldn't pay a penny more for the Leica version.

If you're tired of shopping around, philodox, I think you've found a great camera there.

See ya
Steve

Oct 9, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #2,503 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're tired of shopping around, philodox, I think you've found a great camera there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by towert7
Anyone who chooses the Leica/panasonic over the Nikon deserves what they get. I'll leave it at that.

I post this again.
Inside, I both laugh and cry.

Oct 9, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #2,504 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I post this again.
Inside, I both laugh and cry.

Haha. Good to know that you're like me - a die-hard Nikon fanatic. I would take my camera over any point and shoot even if I was just limited to one lens, my favourite - the Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D
evil_smiley.gif
Speed, accuracy, responsiveness, high ISO performance, pixel quality, ease of use, customisability, ergonomics, durability, reliability, etc... It's an absolute dream to use! Boy am I happy whenever I shoot with it. It's even gotten to the point that I sometimes have it next to me when I sleep
redface.gif
Haha
very_evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back