The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Sep 1, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #1,981 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First off I shoot with a canon xt, sigma 18-50ex 2.8 and 430ex speedlite.

I primarily shoot people indoors in low light situations. Right now its mainly just friends and family at parties. Occasionally I do get asked to shoot at nightclubs.

I'm not sure why you can't take photos with what you already have. Go into full manual and you won't have any problems.

Sep 1, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #1,982 of 5,895
Man - now i have the $$$ to buy a new gear to replace my old beat up D70 , its so hard to decide.

So far i have the following lenses; nikon 17-55 2.8 , nikon 80-200 2.8 , tamrom 90 macro , nikon 50 1.8.

i can buy a D300 body and this is the max i can spend OR buy a D90 ( or a D200) and another lens like a tokina 11-16.

im leaning more into the D90 and tokna as it gives me another lens to use.

Sep 1, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #1,983 of 5,895
If I were you, I'd rather get D90 as well.
But D200, D300, or D90, they all will give you huge improvement over your D70.

The only thing you might not like about D90 is it might be a tad small if you are so used to D70 already (I personally think D70's size suits me better than D80/D90).

But anyway, say if you bought the D90 and that Tokina 11-16mm (or equivalent), I think you are pretty much set in terms of lenses - anymore than that it's probably the 'gear-head' factor.

Actually if you wanna save even more money, get the D80 (or D200) now, it's so cheap it's ridiculous. But I guess if the new D90 is only $200-$300 bucks more, it's better to get the D90 then.

If you read a few posts back, I also just got myself the Tokina lens. Before I bought the lens, it came to my mind that I could also just sell my D80 and get a D300 instead of buying a Tokina lens. But I chose lens over body, and I never regretted it. Now I can take pictures in many more different ways than before. Had I chosen to go D300, I wouldn't be able to do what I can with the Tokina, and to be honest, I'm not even sure if my photo results would improve that much by getting the D300.

In your case, getting a new body + new lens - you're in for a big treat!

Sep 1, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #1,984 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What makes you think 'consumer' DSLR is a snapshot generator? I've seen my fair share of crap pictures coming from high-end cameras and lenses as well, and vice versa.
The only reason why you think you are seeing more snapshots is because most beginners tend to go with lower level DSLR to test the water (and the portability) but it doesn't mean that the likes of D40 can't produce jaw-dropping pictures.

what i said was probably poorly worded. but what i meant was that consumer cameras don't have nearly the ease of use or level of customization that, say, the D200 has. for example, there are often situations when i want a half-press of the shutter to only turn on the meter and not focus the camera. or maybe i'm shooting in low lighting and i want to quickly alternate between high ISO's and bursts from the flash - i can assign a button to do that.

it's all about control, and consumer cameras just don't have quite the same level of control.

Sep 1, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #1,985 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by screwdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man - now i have the $$$ to buy a new gear to replace my old beat up D70 , its so hard to decide.

So far i have the following lenses; nikon 17-55 2.8 , nikon 80-200 2.8 , tamrom 90 macro , nikon 50 1.8.

i can buy a D300 body and this is the max i can spend OR buy a D90 ( or a D200) and another lens like a tokina 11-16.

if i were you i would go for the D200 and the tokina. i'm saying this not because i have a D200, but because i just don't see what the D90 has to offer that the D200 doesn't, and the D200 is more solidly built to boot.

Sep 1, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #1,986 of 5,895
Okay, I've made up my decision (I think).
I decided to forget about full frame Nikon since the price is just too much and looks like I don't have the heart to part with my lens that suits DX format better.
By the time D400 arrives (or whatever it's called), that's when I will upgrade my D80.

I hope it will come around the 3rd or 4th quarter next year. So it's time to start saving the money now.

Sep 1, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #1,987 of 5,895
hey guys im new to head-fi and i just found this thread. anyways is there a thread that is more focused on pictures and not gear?

I also agree with mocok, if you're gonna get a d200 you might as well get a d80, which i'd rather get over a d90. in my opinion the pictures taken are relatively the same. d90 just has a bigger screen, and some small things that i don't think matter.

Sep 1, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #1,988 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by screwglue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey guys im new to head-fi and i just found this thread. anyways is there a thread that is more focused on pictures and not gear?

I also agree with mocok, if you're gonna get a d200 you might as well get a d80, which i'd rather get over a d90. in my opinion the pictures taken are relatively the same. d90 just has a bigger screen, and some small things that i don't think matter.

Pictures? Who needs pictures? We here buy expensive gears so that we can brag about them, not to take pictures with them. Well occasionally we do take pictures of bricks, but again, that's just to brag later on about how much details we can capture from the bricks.
biggrin.gif

Anyway, there is one "post your picture" thread on the member's lounge, I don't think you can miss that one because it's usually updated all the time.

But if you want more pictures and the talk about pictures or photography (which sometimes can lead to rather heavy conversation), you can visit photo.net. I like that site best over the others.

Sep 1, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #1,989 of 5,895
Sep 1, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #1,990 of 5,895
and yet, there still isn't anything quite like 14mm on full frame.

Quote:

if you want to discuss images, feel free to head on over to an art site or someplace like photo.net
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #1,991 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure why you can't take photos with what you already have. Go into full manual and you won't have any problems.

I shoot full manual already. I take decent shots with what I have right now. My main complaints right now are ISO performance and handling. I'm really enjoying my beyer DT770 but it doesn't mean I don't want an AT L3000.

Sep 1, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #1,993 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by screwdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think the decision is pretty easy, if you like 11-16 range, then get the lens of course. I know I will never use that range much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I shoot full manual already. I take decent shots with what I have right now. My main complaints right now are ISO performance and handling. I'm really enjoying my beyer DT770 but it doesn't mean I don't want an AT L3000.

For that situation of shots you describe, your photos won't be any better with a D80. D80's high ISO isn't any better than the XT. You want D90, D300, D700, or D3. And if you wanted better handling in the form of autofocus, D300 and up will have it. But you should still use the AF assist lamp because using a slow lens makes AF performance weaker and viewfinder dimmer. All of which I wouldn't want indoors. So I still argue for having f/2.8 zoom.

Honestly, if you just take decent shots with what you have, having a "better" gear won't make you any better.

Sep 1, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #1,994 of 5,895
Quote:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f11/po...iendly-256063/

Sep 1, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #1,995 of 5,895
lan, it's funny that you mention the AF assist lamp.

I have turned that thing off on my D50 and never looked back. It didn't help me at all with my lenses, some of which are not the fastest in the world (18-200VR, 70-300G).

All it did was tick off the people/animals I was taking a picture of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back