The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Aug 27, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #1,908 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
looks like my trusty d70 have found a successor :) And not that bad a hit to the wallet neither

I agree. This is a worthwhile upgrade for me.

The video feature is probably useless for all intents but it doesn't hurt either. Great for short clips in a pinch.

Aug 27, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #1,909 of 5,895
Im wondering about the durability of the D90 as it adds the video capability - with this - does it make it more prone to problems?

Aug 28, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #1,910 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by screwdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im wondering about the durability of the D90 as it adds the video capability - with this - does it make it more prone to problems?

Anything with added features makes it more prone to problems. If you want something with the least chance of problems, you'll buy a pin hole camera.

Aug 28, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #1,911 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anything with added features makes it more prone to problems. If you want something with the least chance of problems, you'll buy a pine hole camera.

whats a pine hole camera? :)

Aug 28, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #1,912 of 5,895
Quote:

whats a pine hole camera? :)

You know! You take a pine cone and make a hole in it. ^_^

Thanks for the correction. I totally missed it.

Aug 28, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #1,913 of 5,895
In all honesty though, that's one of the big benefits from buying a Nikon or Canon. You can take some comfort in the fact that you're getting a professional product that *should* last the course.

Aug 28, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #1,914 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoppergrass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just bought a d80. now i'm in the market for a flash unit. nikon promotes their sb-600 and sb-800. why should a buy one over the other? or is their a better option?

as far as i can tell, the onyl reason to get a brand new, expensive flash is to have those meaningless i-ttl features. if i were you, i would read strobist.blogspot.com and buy a used flash such as an sb-26. IMHO on-camera flash is usually overrated. i've seen it used well, but not very often.

Aug 28, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #1,915 of 5,895
Quote:

Added complexity means there's a higher chance but modern p&s and camcorders have dual still and video functionality and you don't hear anybody complaining. The only issues I see are prolonged sensor exposure. That 5 minute limit was probably there for this. It's like the warning they give for using Live View too long also.

Aug 28, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #1,916 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Poohblah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as far as i can tell, the onyl reason to get a brand new, expensive flash is to have those meaningless i-ttl features. if i were you, i would read strobist.blogspot.com and buy a used flash such as an sb-26. IMHO on-camera flash is usually overrated. i've seen it used well, but not very often.

Doing the strobist thing requires full manual use of the flash if you're going to use those old flashes. While that is another skill to learn, sometimes it's just too slow to be practical. That's where the automatic flash comes in so I wouldn't call I-TTL meaningless. You just have to learn how to use it also. Results from on camera flash can be okay with bounce technique and some light modifiers. Nikon's CLS can do good stuff off camera also.

Aug 28, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #1,917 of 5,895
Get 800 for better commander flash, and 600 if you plan on keeping them on camera.

Manual flash is fun, but like Ian said, its too slow to be practical. Personally, I've hated the idea of flash at shows and feel its usually disrespectful to the performer and fellow fans in the crowd. But I've been really impressed with the results I've seen with CLS(I think the D3/D700 helps :p ) on the ishootshows blog.

After more reading, I'm not too impressed by what the D90 offers. Yes some of the ISO 3200 shots Nikon has dont look so bad after some PP and resizing for web, but by the looks of it, that's about to be the new standard. Until reviews are out, It might still have poor metering as well as autofocus like the D80. As limited as it is, I do welcome the HD video, and higher ISO capabilities(D80 was horrid at ISO 1600).

As for me switching to Canon and back. I usually buy used, and usually only buy when there are steals to be had. If I sell my stuff to back to Nikon, I'm still gonna pocket about $150. In the time I've had the stuff, they did get heavy use, and gave me enough time to appreciate both systems for what they're worth. Only thing lost is the time spent selling, and rebuying stuff.

However I'm back to the reasoning I had when I decided to stick with Canon. IMO I get way more bang for my buck with Canon than I do Nikon. The 40D at its used price of about $800, imo can throw down with Nikon's last gen of Pro bodies, D2X and D2H, which still sell for more. I feel the same MIGHT be the same about the 50D when it comes out(compared to D300), but only time will tell. On top of that, Canon has more primes, and cheaper pro zoom options. I know I shoot with 3rd party glass now(with great results), but its reassuring to know I can get high quality OEM glass at good prices later on.

Aug 28, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #1,918 of 5,895
Here's some D90 test images if you haven't seen them already,

Nikon D90 Digital Camera Samples - Hands-On Preview - The Imaging Resource!

High ISOs looks ok.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 28, 2008 at 7:30 AM Post #1,920 of 5,895
If I'm filming some event, obviously this won't fly.

If I'm making some movies, I don't need more than 5 minutes per scene anyway and I'll be external micing. To some this will be pretty awesome if you can leverage it creatively.

Here's a quick 720 vimeo clip, http://www.vimeo.com/1612204

Users who are viewing this thread

Back