The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Jul 19, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #1,666 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anything else to report?

We couldn't get the cam to shoot at high speed. Not sure why. That's my main grip again D300 but I hope this isn't the case with D700 and it's more like the D3. I'll need to checkout other units to tell.

Jul 19, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #1,667 of 5,895
I would love to get my paws on a D700, even if just to play around with for an hour or two.

I recently got my saliva going having a rough and tumble with these lenses:
2666028472_b87bafd13c.jpg

eek.gif

The 24-70 has lightning-quick autofocus!

I can dream, can't I?

Jul 19, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #1,670 of 5,895
Yeah I was messing with the D700 with the 24-70. Of course it depends where you're coming from but I don't find the lens that big or heavy. I still like to use hood for protection somewhat as I don't use filters.

I can't believe the D700 kit lens is the 24-120VR.

Jul 19, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #1,671 of 5,895
I am normally a hood over filter guy too, but the Nikon hoods are just so huge! So instead, I just got a B+W MRC uv filter and said the hell with it. They are very flare resistant and tend to repel dust and fingerprints well. One thing I like about the Leica lenses is that most of them have the hoods built in -- you just slide them out. They are probably not as effective, but they are so much more convenient.

Jul 19, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #1,672 of 5,895
Those lenses are huge!

Jul 20, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #1,673 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've never seen it in person yet but i'm surprised at the 24-70mm's size. by the way, what's the wrist strap that you're using on the d300 milkpowder?

The lens itself isn't so big. The hood is about half the length of the lens and quite a bit wider. The 70-200VR hood is even longer and wider though
redface.gif
I don't use a wrist strap on my own camera but probably will do so. That d300 is my friend's and the strap is great, much better than using the Nikon strap. I also don't really like the fact that the Nikon strap advertises the model of the camera...

Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I was messing with the D700 with the 24-70. Of course it depends where you're coming from but I don't find the lens that big or heavy. I still like to use hood for protection somewhat as I don't use filters.

I can't believe the D700 kit lens is the 24-120VR.

I imagine you're not happy with the 24-120. Reviewers don't like it much either...
Quote:

Originally Posted by stuartr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am normally a hood over filter guy too, but the Nikon hoods are just so huge! So instead, I just got a B+W MRC uv filter and said the hell with it. They are very flare resistant and tend to repel dust and fingerprints well. One thing I like about the Leica lenses is that most of them have the hoods built in -- you just slide them out. They are probably not as effective, but they are so much more convenient.

At least Nikon used to make collapsible rubber and (built-in) metal hoods
tongue.gif
My next door neighbour has a 135mm/2.8 AI and it has a collapsable metal hood.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those lenses are huge!

The 70-200VR was so darn heavy my arm hurt after 15 minutes of holding it up. Imagine that, plus a SB900 and a MB-D10. How ridiculously heavy would the rig be?
eek.gif

Look at what I found today! It turns out my next door neighbour used to be an avid photography during her student days. She's got a Nikon F2, motor drive and a bunch of AI lenses and 500mm Sigma mirror too. But this is a thing of beauty! Apart from the brassing, the optics are in perfect condition. Absolutely no dust, scratches, mold or fungus!

Photos taken with a AF-D 35mm f/2. A superb lens indeed!
jon5346aln6.jpg

jon5348cyx9.jpg

jon5349caa0.jpg

jon5351cwl9.jpg

jon5355can9.jpg

It turns out there are many of my parent's friends who used to be avid photographers when they were young. I'm hoping I can stumble on some nice AI(-S) lenses
biggrin.gif
(looking for 35/1.4 and 28/2!)

Jul 21, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #1,676 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by stuartr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, those gold Leicas are ghastly! The late 70s/early 80s were not a great time for design, were they...it will take great pictures though.

It looks tailor-made to be a part of "pimp my ride." A more pompous and all-out silly camera, I could hardly imagine. If I saw someone actually out taking pictures with that, I'd probably laugh 'til my pants fell off!

Jul 21, 2008 at 9:17 AM Post #1,678 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It looks tailor-made to be a part of "pimp my ride." A more pompous and all-out silly camera, I could hardly imagine. If I saw someone actually out taking pictures with that, I'd probably laugh 'til my pants fell off!

You'll be surprised to know that this camera was actually used. Rather that than stuck in its wooden box 100% of the time, right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your white balance is way off on those Leica shots Milk.
biggrin.gif

Cut me some slack, will ya?
tongue.gif

Jul 24, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #1,679 of 5,895
question here :
when the nikon D200 was first introduced it was about $1699 (body)and now they are sellng like $979.

i have a nikon D70 and i can snap up a nikon D200 body right now but im not at that point where i need the upgrade yet

im wondering how long before we see the nikon D300 go lower as to price of a body sat $1000-$1200

Jul 24, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #1,680 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by screwdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
question here :
when the nikon D200 was first introduced it was about $1699 (body)and now they are sellng like $979.

i have a nikon D70 and i can snap up a nikon D200 body right now but im not at that point where i need the upgrade yet

im wondering how long before we see the nikon D300 go lower as to price of a body sat $1000-$1200

Gotta wait for the next D300 style with an FX sensor.
6-12 months?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back