The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Apr 19, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #1,126 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got me a cheap Nikon extension tube.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm going to have a go at some flower macro shots. I don't feel like paying for a full time macro lens just yet. It looks like my 50 1.8 has a new function.
smily_headphones1.gif

Have you tried reverse mounting ring for 52mm filter thread, works also nicely with 50 1.8 as macro. If I remember right its supposed to give 0.7x lifesize, only drawback is missing focus. But for 10$ I think it is just fine.
But to my actual question, which tube you got, how close to lifesize it goes?
And yes, MD-D10 is must have for D300.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #1,127 of 5,895
I've been doing some googling today, and I'm finding that Tokina makes a great line of lenses. Apparently, they're ex-Nikon lens designers who split off because Nikon was headed towards focusing on primes rather than zooms after the poor performance of the Nikkor 43-86 (which I have and it does indeed perform poorly).

Tokina has two more lenses that I am considering... a 100mm f2.8 1:1 macro that apparently has slightly sharper optics than the Nikon equivalent, and the 300mm f2.8 tele that is $2,000 less than the Nikon with no less image quality (just 10% slower autofocus). I can live with that for 2 grand!

I just ordered the 100mm. It should be here after Passover.

See ya
Steve

Apr 19, 2008 at 11:38 AM Post #1,128 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been doing some googling today, and I'm finding that Tokina makes a great line of lenses. Apparently, they're ex-Nikon lens designers who split off because Nikon was headed towards focusing on primes rather than zooms after the poor performance of the Nikkor 43-86 (which I have and it does indeed perform poorly).

Tokina has two more lenses that I am considering... a 100mm f2.8 1:1 macro that apparently has slightly sharper optics than the Nikon equivalent, and the 300mm f2.8 tele that is $2,000 less than the Nikon with no less image quality (just 10% slower autofocus). I can live with that for 2 grand!

I just ordered the 100mm. It should be here after Passover.

See ya
Steve

Tokina seems to be one of the more respected 3rd party lens makes (compared to sigma and tamron).
That 100mm Macro sure does look interesting. If I had a bit more money I would be considering it or the nikon 105VR right now.

Apr 19, 2008 at 12:21 PM Post #1,129 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there any macro lenses that could double as a good portrait lens?

Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
100mm macro (especially on a non full frame camera) will give you a pretty impressive portrait result.

My Tamron SP Di AF 90mm/f2.8 Macro 1:1 (135mm 35mm equivalent) works well in these capacities for me. The "stand off" distance you get helps with both macro and portrait. And it's bright.

Apr 19, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #1,130 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by uppis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried reverse mounting ring for 52mm filter thread, works also nicely with 50 1.8 as macro. If I remember right its supposed to give 0.7x lifesize, only drawback is missing focus. But for 10$ I think it is just fine.
But to my actual question, which tube you got, how close to lifesize it goes?
And yes, MD-D10 is must have for D300.
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually never thought about reversing the zoom ring.

I got an old E2 tube which is about 14mm. It's pre AI or anything really (ancient
tongue.gif
) so I'm going full manual. There's a pin plunger to open up the aperture. I'll be using my 55-200VR. With auto ISO and live view it should be easy to work with.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #1,131 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually never thought about reversing the zoom ring.

I got an old E2 tube which is about 14mm. It's pre AI or anything really (ancient
tongue.gif
) so I'm going full manual. There's a pin plunger to open up the aperture. I'll be using my 55-200VR. With auto ISO and live view it should be easy to work with.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ok, I'm also interested in macro, but I decided to start with the cheapest possible way.
smily_headphones1.gif
And full manual is actually not that bad at all, little more challenging but for me, its fun. Now I'm thinking about Kenkos tube set, Tokina 100m 2.8 macro, or Nikon 105mm non-VR..

Apr 20, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #1,132 of 5,895
I don't do much macro work so don't really want to invest much. I'm rather particular about my prime lenses also and the common macro lenses are not focal lengths I would normally use.

So today with my "zoom macro", I had a lot of fun. Here are some select photos below. I'm not sure I really used it as a macro lense since I didn't use 1:1 or 1:2 even but the extension tube reduced my working distance. The combo of the zoom and focus to control focus was an interesting experience.

bbg1kk3.jpg

Apr 20, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #1,133 of 5,895
Here is few quick macro shots with reversed 50 1.8. Both shot handheld without additional light in greenhouse, uploaded straight from camera.

LP3_3033.JPG

1/200 sec f5.6 ISO 200

LP3_3088.JPG

1/125sec f8 ISO 400

Oh well, lets put one without reversing too.

LP3_3110.JPG

50mm 1/2000sec f2.8 ISO 560

A little ad, I have SR325i's waiting for trade to Nikon gear.
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #1,134 of 5,895
Quote:

Apr 19--Current rumors out of Japan have Nikon introducing the D90, D3x, plus lenses, in the second week of June. I'm tightening my D90 (or whatever they decide to call it) prediction date to between May 12th and June 16th. - Tom Hogan

Hmm. I'm really hoping for a D90 with better AF and ISO levels on par with a D300. I'm wondering, what the lenses are, and hoping their updates of some primes, so I can get the older ones on the cheap.

Here's to an 85mm 1.4 AF-S Nano
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #1,135 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by nineohtoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm. I'm really hoping for a D90 with better AF and ISO levels on par with a D300. I'm wondering, what the lenses are, and hoping their updates of some primes, so I can get the older ones on the cheap.

biggrin.gif

Was that quote taken from a website?

If the rumors are true about a Pro-sumer Full Frame, I am very excited and hope Nikon puts out some revised Full Frame lenses. Should be interesting to see if they are Fixed or Zoom lenses.

Apr 21, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #1,136 of 5,895
If Nikon kept D90 at 10MP they could have D3 ISO performance with a crop sensor? However it will definately be atleast 12MP. It should have D300 ISO performance I would say.

The news about lens is just as exciting. Everyone's crying for some fresh new wide primes like a 24mm & 35mm f1.4 AF-S.

By the way, I think this is all beyond rumours now. Thom Hogan almost always knows what he's talking about and there have been almost the same rumour from multiple sources now.

The D90 is a given, however it looks like there'll either be a 5D competitor or high resolution full-frame body too. This is weird because even Thom Hogan said that another full frame body wouldn't be feasable with Nikon's manufacturing capacity due to D3 being in such demand.

Apr 21, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #1,137 of 5,895
Quote:

LP3_3110.JPG

50mm 1/2000sec f2.8 ISO 560

I like this picture! Very colouful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nineohtoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

biggrin.gif

I'm excited
biggrin.gif
Kinda difficult to choose between D90 and a couple lens or a HeadAmp KGSS though...
confused.gif

Apr 21, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #1,138 of 5,895
It's Tom Hogan, so these should be a given. I personally don't see a FX pro-sumer yet. People are ponying up the cash for a D3, so I don't think Nikon would hurt their sales and give us something in between the D300 and D3 yet. The new lenses can be a huge thing for the used market. We finally start seeing some prices begin to drop(85mm 1.4
cool.gif
). But some wide fast primes, especially for the d40/d60 crowd would be nice.

To be honest, unless the D90 gives iso 3200 that looks like my D50's ISO 1600, I don't see to much advantage in upgrading. I'd like better and faster AF/AF tracking, and a bigger buffer, but it's rare that I tell myself, "if only my D50 could do this or that". Usually the problems are with my settings or my composition.

But then if we do get that tax check, I'd be hard pressed to choose between getting an 85mm 1.4, or boosting ISO's on a D90 to use my 85mm 1.8.

Quote:

I'm excited Kinda difficult to choose between D90 and a couple lens or a HeadAmp KGSS though...

Like some people have mentioned in this post, it hurts to have expensive hobbies and not much money lol. I've learned to just have good enough(and buy used) with all my hobbies(photo, music, surfing, gadgets), instead of digging myself into more debt by having the latest and greatest.

Apr 21, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #1,139 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like this picture! Very colouful.

Thank you! I would be buying new 85mm if Nikon decides to make one, though I may just get 85 1.8 now, I think it could work with 50 1.8 nicely..

Apr 21, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #1,140 of 5,895
Quote:

Thank you! I would be buying new 85mm if Nikon decides to make one, though I may just get 85 1.8 now, I think it could work with 50 1.8 nicely..

The 85mm F/1.8 is a great lens, ESPECIALLY for the price!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back