The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Apr 17, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #1,096 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well there is some overlap between the 2 zooms in question. You could compare them in the same ranges.

People compare 70-200 f/2.8 vs 200 f/2 and 200 f/2 + 1.4x TC vs. 300 2.8 and 200 f2 + 2x TC vs. 200-400 f/4. It's always relevant for comparision if the range is useful to you because it's an option.

Sure but you have to specifically state you're talking about those ranges, and not just make a general statement that a certain lens is better than the other.

Apr 17, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #1,097 of 5,895
Quote:

Why pay more for a brand name lens that isn't as good?

Resale value might be considered a reason for some. Nikon lenses usually hold their value better ( sometimes considerably better ) than any third party manufacturer's lenses.

I agree with you however....most of my lenses are Nikon, but I do own and use the Tokina 12-24 and a Sigma EX 180 macro because I couldn't justify the additional expense of the equivalent Nikons vs. quality differences, and if this new ultra-wide Tokina is as sharp as it appears, IMO it would be a no-brainer over the slower and more expensive Nikon.

IIRC, the founders of Tokina are all ex-Nikon people, by the way.

Apr 17, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #1,098 of 5,895
Tell me about the Sigma EX 150. I'm lens shopping right now and that may be something I could use.

Thanks!
Steve

Apr 17, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #1,099 of 5,895
So - assuming budget isn't an issue - I should go for the Nikon? Of course, I just now realized that the lens is of DX variety; which poses a potential problem as I plan to upgrade to a full frame DSLR sometime in the future. Still, I could settle for a cropped field of view (assuming future D3 like cameras have this feature) - but are there any full frame alternatives with a similar focal lenght?

P.S. I like the feel and image quality of the 24-70, but it's a little too expensive at its current price - and I don't think 28-70 is a particularly useful range on the D200.

Apr 17, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #1,100 of 5,895
Quote:

Tell me about the Sigma EX 150. I'm lens shopping right now and that may be something I could use.

Sorry, I meant 180mm. I don't do much macro shooting but what attracted me to this lens was it's 1:1 capability and the fact that unlike most macro lenses, you don't have to get as close to isolate your subject from it's surroundings. It's very solid and well built ( I like "heavy", although I know many people don't.). Also, it's an HSM model (internal motor) which provides quick and quiet focussing....although most macro shots would usually demand some manual tweaking.

Shutterbug: Sigma AF APO Macro 180mm f3.5 EX IF

FM Reviews - 180mm f3.5 EX APO Macro IF HSM

Here's the very first shot I ever took with it. My recycle box on the back porch.

PepsiMacroWeb2.jpg

Apr 17, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #1,101 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So - assuming budget isn't an issue - I should go for the Nikon? Of course, I just now realized that the lens is of DX variety; which poses a potential problem as I plan to upgrade to a full frame DSLR sometime in the future. Still, I could settle for a cropped field of view (assuming future D3 like cameras have this feature) - but are there any full frame alternatives with a similar focal lenght?

P.S. I like the feel and image quality of the 24-70, but it's a little too expensive at its current price - and I don't think 28-70 is a particularly useful range on the D200.

I don't think we will be seeing full frame sensors from Nikon in pro-sumer bodies under two grand for a while but I suppose only time will tell. If you have the money, I guess go with the Nikkor, but I don't think the 17-55mm is a particularly good buy as I know many who get results nearly as good with the Tamron 17-50. The 17-55 is built substantially better than the 17-50 however, you pay for that in bulk. It's not really a heavy lens but it is pretty big. One thing to keep in mind though, the Tamron does suffer from some pretty bad CA though, at least the one I tested did; so you'd have to use PS to edit that out. If it were me though, I'd skip the mid-range all together and go for a wide-angle.
tongue.gif

Apr 17, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #1,102 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with you that "more times than not" the Nikkor is the best choice. And the Nikkor 12-24 is a very good lens. If the Tokina wasn't a better lens in this case, I'd be buying the Nikkor and I'd be satisfied with it. But at the same settings (f stop and fielding) the Tokina is sharper. On top of that it's a full stop faster. It's a better quality lens than Nikkor's equivalent wide zoom, regardless of cost. Why pay more for a brand name lens that isn't as good? It pays to consider third party lenses.

See ya
Steve

Aside from your use of the word equivalent, I agree with this.
Always consider all the options, for sure!

Apr 17, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #1,103 of 5,895
Darn Mbriant, why did you have to go and post that picture!
I've been wanting a lens that can do 1:1 macro.

800$ for that Sigma... ouch. Boy I wish I had more money.
I was looking at either the Nikon 60mm or Tokina 100mm. Both are 400$.

But as much as I want a macro lens, I would like a slightly better telephoto lens. my 70-300G just isn't cutting it.

Expensive hobbies are rough when you're dirt poor.

Apr 18, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #1,105 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think we will be seeing full frame sensors from Nikon in pro-sumer bodies under two grand for a while but I suppose only time will tell...

Less than 1 month away. It will be a little over 2G, but I doubt there will be many complaints once it is announced.

Apr 18, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #1,106 of 5,895
I got me a cheap Nikon extension tube.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm going to have a go at some flower macro shots. I don't feel like paying for a full time macro lens just yet. It looks like my 50 1.8 has a new function.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #1,107 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Less than 1 month away. It will be a little over 2G, but I doubt there will be many complaints once it is announced.

Thanks for the info. If this turns out to be true, I wonder how long until we see the 5D upgrade.

Apr 18, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #1,108 of 5,895
Quote:

Where did you find this info? The Nikon D400 is fiction at best and there are no solid facts or remote release dates. Even if Nikon did come out with a pro-sumer/pro FF body to compete with the 5D, I can't imagine they'd release it at just over $2k this close after the D3 release. From a marketing perspective, I'd think they'd want to milk more out of their baby before they go mainstream.

Apr 18, 2008 at 6:42 AM Post #1,109 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where did you find this info? The Nikon D400 is fiction at best and there are no solid facts or remote release dates. Even if Nikon did come out with a pro-sumer/pro FF body to compete with the 5D, I can't imagine they'd release it at just over $2k this close after the D3 release. From a marketing perspective, I'd think they'd want to milk more out of their baby before they go mainstream.

D400 won't happen this year, but the Nikon version of the 5D will. Checked my info and it will in fact be in two months (the announcement) - sorry for the misleading 1 month I mentioned before.

D3 is not all about full frame - the new model will strengthen their range and provide an aspirational model to prosumers for whom the D3 is out of reach.

You can take this as the ignorant ramblings of another nobody with an internet connection if you choose, just thought I'd pass on what I know. Last I'll be saying on the matter.

Apr 18, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #1,110 of 5,895
Quote:

D400 won't happen this year, but the Nikon version of the 5D will. Checked my info and it will in fact be in two months (the announcement) - sorry for the misleading 1 month I mentioned before.

D3 is not all about full frame - the new model will strengthen their range and provide an aspirational model to prosumers for whom the D3 is out of reach.

You can take this as the ignorant ramblings of another nobody with an internet connection if you choose, just thought I'd pass on what I know. Last I'll be saying on the matter.

Nooo... please tell us more
tongue.gif
. With the new D3 firmware update there have been intense rumours regarding a new body announcement near the D3 market segment, possibly higher.

Most people had the impression that there will definately not be another full-frame body this year due to lack of manufacturing capacity.

Personally what I want is a D90 using a tweaked D300 sensor but at 10MP so we can get D3 ISO performance
smily_headphones1.gif
. But the D90 will definately be around 12MP considering the 450D, so we can atleast hope for D300 ISO performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back