The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Mar 15, 2008 at 10:56 AM Post #916 of 5,895
Just brought a 18-55 D40 kit and still waiting for the SD card. Any tips for a total camera newbie with an appreciation for pretty scenes? I live in the country, so i'd like to take loads of landscape pics of hills and the sky, etc.. and also some nice pics of hi-fi stuff, and some really up close, detailed shots of electronics. The country side is the main reason i wanted a camera, i live in Scotland and the views can be spectacular.

Mar 15, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #917 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by SenjStevo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just brought a 18-55 D40 kit and still waiting for the SD card. Any tips for a total camera newbie with an appreciation for pretty scenes? I live in the country, so i'd like to take loads of landscape pics of hills and the sky, etc.. and also some nice pics of hi-fi stuff, and some really up close, detailed shots of electronics. The country side is the main reason i wanted a camera, i live in Scotland and the views can be spectacular.

Use appeture priority, f/8 to f/11, it should take care your landscape scenes.
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #919 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by SenjStevo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As always, a tripod will help (or monopod). You just need to decide if you want to carry one when you go out to take pictures.

A polarizer filter *can* be a nice addition to some scenic pictures thanks to it's ability to intensify colors and change the brightness of the sky.

And, aside from learning the basics of general photography, the next biggest thing is just timing!!! Time the pictures so they look nice in person, and you will be more likely to get a very wonderful picture.

Once you get good at these, then you can start experimenting with different lenses if you have money to spare.

Mar 15, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #922 of 5,895
Optically, it's the same as the two-ring, so it'll take nice pictures. The problem is the lack of the tripod mount; you try to attach your camera body to a tripod with that lens on and it could damage or even rip out the lens mount. That's why most heavier lenses (including the 80-200 2 ring, 80-200 AF-S, and 70-200VR) have tripod mounts built in. If you're comfortably always hand-holding the lens, it won't be an issue.

Mar 15, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #923 of 5,895
Yeah, I think I found a good price on ebay and jumped for it. I'm a bit paranoid about somethings though. Dust because it's push-pull, the weigh! and how good the copy will be. Ah well... we'll see soon enough
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #924 of 5,895
Don't worry about dust in the lens, it won't affect you in real life situation unless you got serious dust/fungus problems. My dad's old lens is so full of dust but the pictures coming from it are still beautiful.

Mar 16, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #926 of 5,895
You're correct. That mbriant mod has an 80 - 200 2.8 af-s version. It's possibly the sharpest lens of the 10 or so Nikon lenses I own......no small feat since most of them are fixed focal length. Here's some samples ... sorry about the bandwidth.

DRM_5475wc.jpg

_DRM0780.jpg

_DRM0783.jpg

_DRM0809.jpg

_DRM0779.jpg

_DRM1025.jpg

_DRM2065webmax.jpg

DRM_5686wvh.jpg

DSC_1921L.jpg

DSC_1933L.jpg

DRM_4173S.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread