The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Feb 19, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #857 of 5,895
hah i have the ever popular 18-200VR, but have also switched back to my 50mm 1.4 due to its clearly superior sharpness from f/2.2 and up

Feb 19, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #858 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by jterp7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hah i have the ever popular 18-200VR, but have also switched back to my 50mm 1.4 due to its clearly superior sharpness from f/2.2 and up

The superiority starts from f/1.4, because the 18-200 doesn't even go there!
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #859 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2 Years is a very long time (2-3 generations).......
but like the old proverb says: "Only time will tell".

I think it will be easier to tell once Canon announce their 5d successor. Canon are usually the first to either new tech or lower price points.

Feb 21, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #860 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by agentsim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it will be easier to tell once Canon announce their 5d successor. Canon are usually the first to either new tech or lower price points.

For sure. I was so sad when they didn't release their new 5D last month. I sometimes wonder if they are waiting for nikon to announce a D300 type Full Frame, only to release their new one to steal some of the spot light.
Either way though, it's just bound to happen... and I'm betting sooner than latter.

Feb 21, 2008 at 8:11 AM Post #861 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I agree that Nikon will eventually switch budget DSLRs to FF, I don't think it'll happen in 2 years. The APS sized sensors are doing fine and from what I understand, they haven't hit their limit. I think Thom Hogan said that the theoretical limit for APS sensors is about 16mp. Besides, the DX sensors are doing a good job and cheaper for the beginner and enthusiast photographer and there is a great line of lenses to support those cameras. Look at the D300. I'm still drooling over that camera and it has a 12mp APS sensor that has amazingly low noise in high ISO. I don't think the DX market is one that Nikon or Canon will not give up all that quickly especially when it's a cost advantage to the consumer.

Yeah, Nikon has put a lot of money into the DX format and it has already been adopted by a large following so I can't see it becoming mainstream for a while. I think it'll probably be more like Canon right now, where FF is more of a niche market. Also, for Nikon's higher end DSLRs, they usually are replaced every two years so even if they move their prosumer DX00 line to FF in two years, it'll take at least another year for their consumer line to get updated as well.

For me, full frame would be great but I shoot a lot of long distance shots so the narrower field of view with the DX crop sensors benefits me a lot more. I definitely wouldn't say no to a consumer FF with DX compatibility like the D3 but I think that's still a long way off.
frown.gif
A FF version of the D300 would be interesting and I think it would take a lot of market away from Canon's 5D but I can't see Nikon releasing FF to the D300 as it would also cannibalize sales of their new flagship so Nikon will probably want to milk it a bit more. A FF D300 wouldn't really help me out much though. I got to test out the new D300 with an 18-200VR the other day and while it was indeed amazing, the blazing speed in particular is just crazy, it's way more camera than I'll ever need.
tongue.gif
What would be nice though would be for them to update the D80 to make it more like the D200 (And give us AI metering.
mad.gif
).

Feb 23, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #862 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For sure. I was so sad when they didn't release their new 5D last month. I sometimes wonder if they are waiting for nikon to announce a D300 type Full Frame, only to release their new one to steal some of the spot light.

I honestly think Canon were surprised by how good the Nikon D3/D300 are. I'm betting they thought the 40D would hold up nicely (like the 30D vs. D200), but the D300 blows it away. I guess Canon were getting complacent at the top of the market.

Having said that, I expect Canon know they need to bring their A game at Photokina. Most people seem to think Nikon will introduce a 24mp D3x at Photokina, which will steal the show... unless Canon have something like a 7D at 14-16mp costing the same (or less!) than a D300...

Feb 26, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #864 of 5,895
Don't wanna sound like a Canon fan (I'm a Leica person!), but they do have a history of making what seemed like impossible price points reality.

For instance, the 300D was the first $1000 DSLR. Even the 5D at the original price was considered impressive when it came out. Now, the 40D at $1300 for a somewhat sealed, 10mp, 6fps body... pretty impressive.

I doubt they'll get the 7D down to D300 levels, but pretty close, within $200 would be my guess.

Feb 26, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #865 of 5,895
Quote:

Don't wanna sound like a Canon fan (I'm a Leica person!), but they do have a history of making what seemed like impossible price points reality.

For instance, the 300D was the first $1000 DSLR. Even the 5D at the original price was considered impressive when it came out. Now, the 40D at $1300 for a somewhat sealed, 10mp, 6fps body... pretty impressive.

I doubt they'll get the 7D down to D300 levels, but pretty close, within $200 would be my guess.

Haha, compared to leica, everything else seems close in price. ^_^

Feb 26, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #866 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got to test out the new D300 with an 18-200VR the other day and while it was indeed amazing, the blazing speed in particular is just crazy, it's way more camera than I'll ever need.
tongue.gif

I guess speed is all relative to what you've tried. In 14bit RAW it only does 2.5 or so fps and the AF of some other cameras are faster in good light. In that regard I don't think it's that fast.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nah, 7D will never cost the same as D300. This is where Nikon is stealing the show - managed to put so much of a camera in D300 with that low price.

There is an incredible amount of features in the D300. I doubt many people would be able to use most of it. In it's entirety it's an impressive camera and would be my choice if I only had one camera.

I actually chose the D300 over the 5D because of it's compactness and it has pro AF. I don't find 5D much of an action cam and it would be far too slow for my uses. I don't care for more resolution in the 5D successor but I do care if it had same AF as 1 series and lens tuning oh yeah and auto ISO. Then I might switch back to Canon
tongue.gif

Feb 26, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #867 of 5,895
Quote:

If that happens I'm switching straight away.

Mar 3, 2008 at 6:46 AM Post #869 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i would happy if the speculated D90 had the D300 12mp sensor in the D80/D50 sized body. the D300 is probably too much camera for me also, not to mention too expensive for my current budget.

i've been thinking the same thing...but all the rave reviews of the d300 has peaked my interest (and scared my wallet). my d70 is feeling its age. but that might mean i would have to sell some audio gear to finance the d300 (my wife doesn't let me buy anything without selling something else)...

Mar 3, 2008 at 7:32 AM Post #870 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've been thinking the same thing...but all the rave reviews of the d300 has peaked my interest (and scared my wallet). my d70 is feeling its age. but that might mean i would have to sell some audio gear to finance the d300 (my wife doesn't let me buy anything without selling something else)...

i can't say the same thing about my D50. it's just that upgraditis is so hard to fight. also having some of the controls at your fingertips instead of having to go digging through a menu would be nice also. otherwise, my D50 is still in great condition with only something like 15k shutter activations on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back