The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Mar 24, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #301 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've commented on this "computer era" phenomena in the past. Like many, I have film camera bodies that are decades old and still work like new. It seems an incredible waste to have to dispose of your entire camera, especially an expensive pro body, in order to keep up to date with the rapidly changing pixel count increases and other incremental sensor improvements. With the size of the Nikon pro bodies, surely they could come up with a flexible and workable modular portion that could be replaced with future upgrades. I think if either Canon or Nikon ( the two leading recognized pro manufacturers) would do this, and keep to their word by making future modular upgrades ( for at least 10 years or so) available at less cost than purchasing a completely new camera, it would be embraced by a lot of people.

Actually, I think DSLRs are progressing enough that they can stay current the way 35mm SLRs could be used for decades. I've been doing a lot of research into DSLRs to replace my very old SLR (Canon AE-1: as old as me!!!). The hardest thing about upgrading is that the really old MF Canon lenses don't work with the newer AF lens bodies. So I'm building up a new system. Got my first starter lens (Tamron 28mm-75mm) and flash (love how it's a wireless: Canon 580EX). I'm just hoping that since Canon made their really old FL lens mount compatible with their FD lens mount, I hope the same will stay true if they ever replace the EF mount.

Anyways, I'm writing in the Nikon thread as I was looking at both the D200 and the Canon 5D. I read that while the D200 still uses an APS sized sensor, it's viewfinder was very extrodinary considering. However, the 5D just seemed to have so many features that I decided on it. The main advantage it has is a full sized sensor. It also has a larger mirror and prism, so that it's just going to be what I'm used to with a 35mm SLR. One review I read said that it was pretty revolutionary...that Canon has shrunk a lot of the features of the 1D into a body slightly larger then the 20D. And that Canon was making a statement that full frame is going to start coming down to consumer level prices.

Considering that I'm having to spend a bit extra on the 5D means that it's not quite consumer prices yet.....but I'm sure Nikon is going to start introducing more full framed DSLRs too. Who knows...both companies will probably be competing with one another that way. IMO, sensor size is more important then pixel depth: with a larger sensor, that means more light and better ISOs. At least I'm thinking that and the usability of the 5D will make it last quite awhile (who needs something beyond 12MP too??). The real test will be to see if it lasts 30 years like the Canon AE-1 is doing (alas, the only way the AE-1 can be retired is because film is so obsolete now
frown.gif
).

Hope I can write about Canon stuff in a Nikon thread....if I'm talking about advancements that both companies are going to embrace
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #302 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking of Nikon equipment, I have a lot of old MF Nikon bodies and a couple of lenses laying around (most of which collected by my brother):

Nikon FTN
Nikon F2S
Nikon F2AS
Nikkormat (Nikomat) FT3
Nikon FE2
Nikon FA
DP-1 Photomic finder for Nikon F2
MD-15 motor drive for Nikon FA
PC-Nikkor 35/2.8 (post-1977 revision, compatible with pre-AI and AI bodies)
Nikkor-S 50/1.4 (pre-AI)
Nikkor 50/1.4 (AI-S)

As you can see, because of this collection, I am hesitant to buy a DSLR, especially since none of the lenses in this collection will be fully compatible with any of the new (current-production) DSLR bodies; the D100 and lower will not meter at all through any of these lenses, while the D200 and higher will work with the AI-S lens only in aperture-priority or manual modes with centerweighted or spot metering (the PC-Nikkor will also work on the D200 up in manual exposure mode with stop-down metering measurement).

You can get matrix metering with AI lenses if you enter then lens data through the menu(focal length of lens, max aperture of lens)

Extract from Nikon USA:

Exposure Metering System: Three-mode through-the-lens (TTL) exposure metering. 1) 3D Color Matrix Metering II (type G and D lenses); color matrix metering II (other CPU lenses); color matrix metering available with non-CPU lenses if user provides lens data; metering performed by 1,005-segment RGB sensor. 2) Center-weighted: Weight of 75% given to 6, 8, 10, or 13mm dia. circle in center of frame. 3) Spot: Meters 3mm dia. circle (about 2.0% of frame) centered on active focus area (on center focus area when non-CPU lens is used).

Even the pre-AI lenses can be used if you get them modified.(like my nippon kogaku 50mm f1.4, after modification I get matrix metering with my D200!)

Mar 25, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #303 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kino,

Do you have sample pictures of the distortion at 17mm?

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to use that wide angle yet....but 50mm...yeah:
433018854_611c9f357e.jpg

Will try to take some pictures of my apartment building @ 17mm in the next 2 days.

Mar 25, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #304 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by av98m2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can get matrix metering with AI lenses if you enter then lens data through the menu(focal length of lens, max aperture of lens)

True. What I meant to say in my post is the fact that Matrix metering is disabled by default with non-CPU lenses.

Mar 26, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #307 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anybody encountered squeaky focus ring problem? I was testing a sigma 70-200mm today at a local store and the focus ring squeaks

I've read that it's a bad sign when the focus rings start to squeak. It might be a sign that it's about to stop working. I've have an old Nikon AF lens from the nineties that squeaks with no malfuction as of yet so who knows.

Mar 27, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #308 of 5,895
When does it usually happen....as in after how many years usually? I suppose it has something to do with the lubricant in the focusing ring. I've also read some cases where it happens to the zoom ring as well.

Mar 27, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #309 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When does it usually happen....as in after how many years usually? I suppose it has something to do with the lubricant in the focusing ring. I've also read some cases where it happens to the zoom ring as well.

I really can't say, perhaps you'd find more information in a digital camera forum.

Mar 29, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #313 of 5,895
Damn, that is unacceptable. A scuff mark is okay (although still not that okay really), but that, you have to return it.

I hope you didn't buy it off eBay.
I always wanna buy monopod but I got two reasons not to:

1. I feel a bit embarassed setting up monopod around public places because I know some passer-bys will look at me and get curious (I get embarassed quickly, lol).
2. My partner thinks it's ridiculous to pay for a hundred something bucks for a "stick".

Mar 29, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #314 of 5,895
I contacted the ebay seller but bought it directly off the store. They shipped quick, and regarding this issue, they will ship me a new one, with a return shipping label so I dont have to pay anything. The leg not only has a dent, it also has some very minor scuff mark...probably 1-2. The item was sealed though...I wonder if manfrotto was slacking or was this a demo unit. I requested them to check the item before sending it out. This stick only cost 60usd
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back