The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Feb 21, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #166 of 5,895
Why don't you ask your girlfriend to give you the phone numbers of a few shops in HK there and try to call them yourself? I think it's easier that way since she probably knows nothing about camera.

$999 for D50 body is too expensive. European camera has D70s body for $980-ish or something.

Can you get D80 body for $1,000 in HK? If you can, why don't you get that one instead, and then get the cheap 50mm 1.8 ($138 you said?). That will make you happy for awhile, trust me.

By the way, D80 body here is $1,300

Feb 21, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #167 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any reason? I don't feel that I lost a whole lot by downgrading from my D70 (not D70s though) to the D50. Though I do sometimes miss the extra extension of the 18-70 I sold with it, the 18-55 is still the sharper lens imo.

I got a few reasons, but I gotta go back to work, but then, these are some that I can think of, but maybe some people don't care about it, so it's subjective:

- Bigger, feels more solid on your hand. If you use your camera a lot, you want something that is comfortable. I personally have to "put up" with D80's size, but it grew on me now, and I feel comfortable using it. But if I could choose, I'd rather have the D70s size.
- As far as I remember, there is no backlight on D50 top LCD? It's annoying when you're shooting outside in the dark (I do it often).
- Front wheel, this maybe a small thing, but again, if you use your camera a lot, pressing a button and rotate a dial is different to just rotating a dial. But then again, P mode shooter probably don't care about this. (I change aperture often).
- I think shutter speed is higher on D70s, but I don't shoot that fast anyway, so it doesn't matter for me.

I'm sure there are other differences, and some people have been saying D50 noise performance is better. If the difference is that noticeable, this is probably the only major drive for someone to get a D50 over D70s.

Again, this is personal, but in my situation, after shooting with D80 and then when I go to my brother's place and hold the D200, it's like you've been sleeping on a queen size bed and then you moved to king size. (actually maybe double bed to king size, queen size is D70s, hehe...)

PS: And yes, D40 is a freakin single bed.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #168 of 5,895
I tried looking up some shops on the net, but i couldnt really find much in terms of honkie stores. The thing is she'll be shopping around anyway before she comes back, and shes just popping into Camera/Electronic stores as she sees them (so its not too much of a hassle).

Dam, this thing just gets more and more expensive hahaha

Feb 21, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #169 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Old? I'd take D70s over D50 anytime of the day.
tongue.gif

av98m2: No money to buy dry cabinet. Here in Sydney, the cheapest/smallest one I can get is around AUS$250. I already promised no more camera-related equipments for awhile. Although yesterday I bought a 72mm Nikon lens cap for $30, and I can't even fit the cap with the bloody lens hood attached to it. Now I feel so stupid wasting so much money on a lens cap.

Hmm....but you've already spend thousands on your camera and lenses right? A dry cabinet is a worthwhile investment(the electronic dehumidifiers are usually good for about 5 years). Much cheaper in the longer run than having to send your fungus infected lenses for cleaning(and they'll never be quite the same again after that). I'd start saving for one right now.
wink.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 3:13 AM Post #170 of 5,895
Quote:

Congrats on the lens, so it finally arrived huh? From the picture the glass element looks very clean. Are those a little bit of dust specks on the lens?

Yes, just a little dust. This lens is so amazingly clean for 20 years old.
Quote:

Originally Posted by perplex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone used the Nikkor 12-24 and/or compared it to Tokina 12-24?

Yes, the Nikkor DX 12-24 is a great lens with the exception of an unusual type of complex wide angle distortion that is too difficult to correct in CS2. The Tokina's wide angle distortion is less complex and easier to correct. The lens is perfect at 24mm.

That said, I would still get the Nikkor 12-24 lens!

Feb 21, 2007 at 4:18 AM Post #171 of 5,895
Yeah maybe a proper cabinet is the way to go, but I really can't get it at the moment. It will be on the to buy list though.

Hey by the way, has anyone got some sample pictures or link to sample pictures that show the difference of taking pictures with and without lens hood? I don't mean the difference like the obvious flares, but more like colour/contrast difference.

EDIT: I just found this thread. Does anyone know what kind of microwaveable beef stew was he talking about? I don't think we have this in Sydney, is this an American product?

Feb 21, 2007 at 7:31 AM Post #172 of 5,895
Got nothing to do and was browsing dpreview. Came accross this portrait.

And really, holy crap, this is probably one of the best portraits I've seen produced with 50mm 1.8. I know the cute little girl really helps, and the image is for sure had been post-processed, but look at the portrait as an overall, that's excellent work.

50mm.jpg

*Image belongs to Markus Arike. This is his flickr page.

PS: Dimitri: When using your 85mm for portrait, what aperture do you use most often? I've noticed mine has been pretty much wide open most of the time, and rarely 2 or 2.8. I much prefer the "feel" that the wide open shot brings. I wonder if this is just me or it's happening to other 85mm users as well.

Feb 21, 2007 at 11:54 AM Post #173 of 5,895
Yeah, I'm wondering if Nikon 12-24 is worth the extra over the Tokina
rolleyes.gif
, but equal number of people saying one of them is better than the other. Then there's that distortion issue at 12mm. Also I was thinking about it for group photos while being close. Like maybe 2m away for a group of 5 for example. Because of the f4 I would need flash indoors?
eek.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 1:12 PM Post #174 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by perplex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I'm wondering if Nikon 12-24 is worth the extra over the Tokina
rolleyes.gif
, but equal number of people saying one of them is better than the other. Then there's that distortion issue at 12mm. Also I was thinking about it for group photos while being close. Like maybe 2m away for a group of 5 for example. Because of the f4 I would need flash indoors?
eek.gif

Do you Photoshop? If so, and since you're working primarily at the wide (12mm end), I would get the Tokina. If you're not going to be correcting either the complex Nikkor "mustache distortion" at 12mm or the less complex barrel type on the Tokina and you can afford it, take advantage of the better Nikkor Sharpness at 24 and 35mm.

Yup, a flash will many times be necessary, but will experience light fall-off at the wide ends.

Not to confuse the decision, but I would also consider the Sigma 10-20. This is a very unique lens that has a great following, and is not as expensive as the Nikkor 12-24.

Keep in mind that you can use the Nikkor 12-24 on 35mm or FF bodies (w/o filter), but not with the Sigma 10-20 or Tokina 12-24.

Befor you say, "oh I'll never use film again," take a moment and realize that there are many applications, including infrared photography where you may just! Good luck with your decision...

Feb 22, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #175 of 5,895
So anyone knows what beff soup cup was that guy talking about (from my previous post)?

I'll be grateful if someone can buy it and post it for me. I'll pay you for that of course. And you can eat the beef.
icon10.gif

Feb 22, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #176 of 5,895
Quote:

So anyone knows what beff soup cup was that guy talking about (from my previous post)?

I'll be grateful if someone can buy it and post it for me. I'll pay you for that of course. And you can eat the beef.
icon10.gif

DJ, you want to put this on the end of that beautiful lens?
dintymoore_family.jpg
That thread was archived and really didn't give any more details; although I can send you some DInty Moore if that's what you want!

I still think you should do these!
Nikon-AF-Nikkor-85mm-f-1.4-D-IF-Petal-Hood-A4.pdf.png

Feb 22, 2007 at 7:34 AM Post #177 of 5,895
lol I'm not even sure if those are the ones he was talking about. Can't he even mention the brand...

Anyway, about that paper one, the problem is, I'm not sure if I can fit in my lens cap without removing the hood first, and it looks like it's designed for AFR version, which is 77mm.
I'm very happy with my HN-20 (the original lens hood for the lens), but the problem is I can't fit my lens cap with the hood on.

I called some shops, and none of them actually have a screw-in 72mm rubber lens hood that I can actually put a cap on the hood as well. I can't it's so hard to find a lens hood. Is it also that hard to find in US?

I'll look for some more shops this weekend, if I can't find any, I'll probably have to either not use the lens hood or create my own ghetto lens cap to fit on the hood.

And I still can't believe I'm actually paying 30 bucks for a lens cap that I might not use at all... Anyone wanna buy 72mm original Nikon lens cap?

EDIT:

Found this on ebay. 50mm 1.2. Looks like it's in very good condition (although I haven't asked the seller and he didn't mention much). AUS$500 buy it now. Not noct, but I think AUS$500 is reasonable if it's in near mint. And I'm sure this is one of the lenses that he will regret selling.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 22, 2007 at 11:17 AM Post #178 of 5,895
Quote:

Anyway, about that paper one, the problem is, I'm not sure if I can fit in my lens cap without removing the hood first, and it looks like it's designed for AFR version, which is 77mm.
I'm very happy with my HN-20 (the original lens hood for the lens), but the problem is I can't fit my lens cap with the hood on.

Have you tried just getting a plastic lid for the lens hood itself?

Quote:

Found this on ebay. 50mm 1.2. Looks like it's in very good condition (although I haven't asked the seller and he didn't mention much). AUS$500 buy it now. Not noct, but I think AUS$500 is reasonable if it's in near mint. And I'm sure this is one of the lenses that he will regret selling.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nice find, as usual, very clean! The problem is that I want it for surveillance photography (shoot wide open), but this may be the closest I'll come...thanks

Feb 22, 2007 at 1:15 PM Post #180 of 5,895
Steve,

Check this one out. This is serious stuff man, and yes, the noct is among them.
But seller got 0 feedback and only joined a couple of days ago, so I would be very careful if I wanted to get this.

Maybe escrow or something. But if it was me, I'd probably fly there to pick it up.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back