The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Feb 20, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #151 of 5,895
How come, I think we have different hood. Mine is HN 20, and I just found out (the expensive way) that it's not possible to have cap and hood both on at the same time, since this hood doesn't have similar front diameter like the lens ring.

Feb 20, 2007 at 2:17 PM Post #152 of 5,895
Really? I will check mine when I am back home. I havent used it for ages.
icon10.gif

Feb 20, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #153 of 5,895
Ok just a couple random quotes my gf got:

18-70mm $2000 HKD = about $330 AUS
18-135mm $2500 HKD = about $420 AUS
50mm f/1.8 $830 HKD = about $138 AUS

how do these prices sound?

Bad news, shes having trouble finding a D50 OMG...she says all the stores she is going to tell her the D50 is discontinued -_-'' damit...hopefully she'll be able to find a store with it, and get more of a discount off the lenses.

Feb 20, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #155 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok;2732752[B
Steve[/B]: Wow that's fast. So you still need to pick it up from your friend?

Got it!

It arrives on my desk at work.
116.JPG

A funky Peter Max Box inside!
28.JPG

Open the box - what's this?
3.JPG

OMG I hope the lens does not look like this; on closer inspection, it's a lens case for an even older lens!
4.JPG

57.JPG

A thing of beauty; the original 35 f/1.4, quite solid, heavy, smooth focus feel
67.JPG

Very clean; must mount on camera...
74.JPG

My first picture, downsized for the web, the only subject that would pose for me, Godzilla. I love this lens!
83.JPG

Thank you DJ for this find - I owe you one man!

Feb 20, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #156 of 5,895
Congrats on the lens, so it finally arrived huh? From the picture the glass element looks very clean. Are those a little bit of dust specks on the lens?
I'm quite surprised with the lack of packaging, luckily it arrived safely eh?

Machi: That 50mm 1.8 is so cheap, you just got to buy it. If you can't find D50, why don't you look for D70s? It's probably very cheap too there.

Feb 21, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #158 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Machi[/B
By the way I got a new problem. Some of you probably know that I live in a small studio apartment, and since it's summer, I've been turning the air conditioner on and off several times every day.

All this time I've been "storing" my lenses out in the open, basically just put them sitting outside. I'm not storing them in a box, bag, or cupboard since I'm afraid it might develop moisture and fungus.

And today I just noticed that there was a tiny bit of condensation on the body (underneath focusing ring to be exact) of my 85mm. I already wiped it out, but this really scares me.
I'm no good at physics, but can condensation happen within the inside of the lens body as well? or it will always outside?
I tried to look for condensation on the glass inside but there was none. Only a little bit outside of body.
I'm afraid that this condensation will introduce moisture inside the lens and lead to fungus. You think it's possible?

By the way, any recommendation of how to store lens in a small room? I know lens should be stored in a constant temp. and all that, but it's difficult to find a good place to store lens when you live in a small apartment.

It's a studio, so no bedroom, I got kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom without any walls. So everywhere is a potential danger zone for lenses. Should I just put them in shoebox or something and just store them in my wardrobe? Plus if they are in shoe box, will it actually prevent condensation?

But wardrobe is very prone to fungus. I really have no idea where should I put my camera gears since my room is so small. I know the surefire way to prevent condensation is not using air conditioner altogether, but it's not possible. Any ideas?

Buy a good dry cabinet (the kind with electronic dehumidifier that needs to be plugged into a mains outlet). You'll be glad you did!

Feb 21, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #159 of 5,895
Woo hoo, UPS finally delivered my 100mm f/2.8 macro after eight days (even though I paid for 3-5 day). I sold my Sigma 150mm macro, which was a great lens, for something a little shorter and smaller for practicality.

Feb 21, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #160 of 5,895
Bah, i hope they have some stock of D50 somewhere in HK. Im quite reluctant to get a D70s, mainly because its so old, i mean maybe im just paranoin, but i'd just feel a bit strange starting out something new with a model which is a few years old already.
frown.gif

I hate the fact you have there is such an age gap between the D40 and D70, then a big price gap to the D80...DAM YOU NIKON GIB ME A D50!

Feb 21, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #161 of 5,895
Old? I'd take D70s over D50 anytime of the day.
tongue.gif

av98m2: No money to buy dry cabinet. Here in Sydney, the cheapest/smallest one I can get is around AUS$250. I already promised no more camera-related equipments for awhile. Although yesterday I bought a 72mm Nikon lens cap for $30, and I can't even fit the cap with the bloody lens hood attached to it. Now I feel so stupid wasting so much money on a lens cap.

Feb 21, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #162 of 5,895
hmmm i think ill read up a bit more on the D70s :p All i know so far about it is its BIG, its old and its big
biggrin.gif
And it uses Compact Flash
frown.gif
atm my house has 7+ SD Cards around, i'd hate to let that go to waste (but then i geuss the compact flash isnt the priciest of things)

Feb 21, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #164 of 5,895
Any reason? I don't feel that I lost a whole lot by downgrading from my D70 (not D70s though) to the D50. Though I do sometimes miss the extra extension of the 18-70 I sold with it, the 18-55 is still the sharper lens imo.

Feb 21, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #165 of 5,895
Ill probably try wake my girlfriend up early today, and get her to go hunting again hahaha. But it seems as though if the D50 is removed from my options, i'd have to move up to cameras which would seem a bit too much for me at the moment??

There are still some D50's over at Digital City in Chatswood when i had a look there, but they are going for $999 body only
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back