The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Aug 18, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #5,746 of 5,895
Oh sure, the HD800 will be dead in less than 10 years because earpods will surpass it by then. 

The D800 is awesome! The D810 is even better! These cams are the current pinnacle of Nikon DSLRs. But what if you could get an equivalent or better image quality in a smaller, lighter, less expensive camera? Todays 1" sensors are outperforming the DSLRs from just a few years ago. Namely D300, D200, D90. It's coming.

Aug 18, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #5,748 of 5,895
too bad they dont have a good mirroless camera yet that can compete wth some of the other brands. I am looking at two sony now the a6000 and the rx100 111 which has a 24-70 lens and a viewfinder but is not interchangeable.
Both sonys are good cams. The A7 is even better. I just got to play with the newest A7S and I was running around shooting images at over 400,000 ISO. While not perfect they were at least usable. Nikons mirrorless One system can't compete with the larger sensor Sonys on a pixel level they can outperform them with speed in AF, FPS, slow motion video, all in a smaller package.

Aug 19, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #5,749 of 5,895
Both sonys are good cams. The A7 is even better. I just got to play with the newest A7S and I was running around shooting images at over 400,000 ISO. While not perfect they were at least usable. Nikons mirrorless One system can't compete with the larger sensor Sonys on a pixel level they can outperform them with speed in AF, FPS, slow motion video, all in a smaller package.

The A7 is nice for sure but I wanted smaller than my two NoIkons to carry and in weight. The rx100 Mk111 is too small for me to handle so I went with the A6000 which is smaller than my d610 and d7100 and much lighter for show shots and meet coverage- Since I only shoot portable stuff it made more sense

Aug 19, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #5,750 of 5,895
The A7 is nice for sure but I wanted smaller than my two NoIkons to carry and in weight. The rx100 Mk111 is too small for me to handle so I went with the A6000 which is smaller than my d610 and d7100 and much lighter for show shots and meet coverage- Since I only shoot portable stuff it made more sense
Nice. Sony is coming up strong. The A6000 is a good example of Sony improving their line. The NEX 6 was technically a great cam but the menu system made it a nightmare if you wanted to change settings.
Edit: the A6000 fixed all that and then some.

Aug 25, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #5,752 of 5,895
Just shared a bunch of pics in the Canon forum.  Just as I had made up my mind to switch to Canon due to skin tones, I feel like I've shot some of my best pictures yet.  What an absolute bargain the D600 is... 

Aug 28, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #5,753 of 5,895
I only use one filter on my Nikon. A Moose Peterson CPF. Usually CPFs renders the image color temperature a lot cooler.  The Moose Peterson has a built in 81A warming filter
and the pics come out a lot warmer

Sep 2, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #5,755 of 5,895
I'm starting to get less inclined to jump ship to Canon now that the D810 is out.  I still feel like Canon requires less pp.  I've played around with the RAW files.  They simply seem to render skin tones better in most situations..   Here are a few from this past weekend that I'm happy with out of the D600.  I'll at very least wait to get a new replacement from Nikon to sell and switch cameras if it comes to that.  

Sep 4, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #5,757 of 5,895

Quote:
Nice. Sony is coming up strong. The A6000 is a good example of Sony improving their line. The NEX 6 was technically a great cam but the menu system made it a nightmare if you wanted to change settings.
Edit: the A6000 fixed all that and then some.

I am going with the Fuji XT-1. The A6000 has some drawback. High noise mostly and poor with the flash or external flash. It also has no lenses as good as the fuji selections for show reports. The 18-55 Fuji is a 2.8 lens and is very sharp and fast. Little heavier but the quality and selection was worth it for me in the long run

Sep 5, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #5,758 of 5,895
I am going with the Fuji XT-1. The A6000 has some drawback. High noise mostly and poor with the flash or external flash. It also has no lenses as good as the fuji selections for show reports. The 18-55 Fuji is a 2.8 lens and is very sharp and fast. Little heavier but the quality and selection was worth it for me in the long run
Yeah the Fuji XT1 is one of my favorite cameras. The APS-C X-Trans sensor will compete with the D800 on a noise level.
You're right about the limited lens selection for sony. The fuji lenses are very very good. People don't know about fuji lenses but they've been making pro lenses for video cams forever. Oh yeah and I'm sure you know the awesome 18-55 is a variable apeture 2.8-4. In the years to come the sony system will evolve.

Sep 5, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #5,759 of 5,895
Yeah the Fuji XT1 is one of my favorite cameras. The APS-C X-Trans sensor will compete with the D800 on a noise level.
You're right about the limited lens selection for sony. The fuji lenses are very very good. People don't know about fuji lenses but they've been making pro lenses for video cams forever. Oh yeah and I'm sure you know the awesome 18-55 is a variable apeture 2.8-4. In the years to come the sony system will evolve.

The lens  is variable but still super sharp and noise extremely low so I want this to for show  
reports for headphpne.guru. I love this camera so far and works when well I want to go smaller.

Sep 7, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #5,760 of 5,895
looks like I'm sticking with Nikon a while longer.  Looking forward to checking out the new D750 and D810.  Also, probably going to add Sigma's new 24mm 1.4 lens when it comes out.  My favorite lens right now is the Nikon 28mm 1.8......I can't believe I sold it a few months ago thinking I didn't like it and it's distortion.  I have bought it back and now I have come to realize I was using it wrong.  Apparently, Sigma is coming out with a new 135mm lens also.  At one point months ago the Canon 135 f2 lens could have almost single-handedly drawn me to Canon, but now I realize it's too long for me--even for wedding photography.  I guess I'll have to shoot in some very large wedding venues and see if I change my mind.  I highly doubt I'll ever buy a 70-200mm lens since it's so big and bulky.  Watching Tony Northrup's video on Canon vs. Nikon recently made me realize Nikon's 70-200mm actually is only 135 or so mm on the long end......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back