The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Feb 15, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #91 of 5,895
Damn... aren't you glad you didn't spend a fortune on Sandisk Extreme III?

I hope the SD didn't have any unsaved images in it.

But looks like the dog got it rough. Chewing SD card = desexed.
eek.gif

The next time he chews another one, what you gonna do with him? cut if off ?
biggrin.gif

Feb 15, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #92 of 5,895
yes, literally cut it off.
evil_smiley.gif

You know what sux...I had my kingston 2 gb ($25) beside it...but he decided that the 50 bucks transcend taste better and took that instead. IIRC the sandisk is fastest, but practically, the transcend is not alot slower.

Feb 16, 2007 at 6:41 AM Post #94 of 5,895
any thoughts if nikon is going to relase an inbetween d40 and d80? like a d60?

I'm going to buy a dslr, but can possibly wait till march 8th for the pma
Ahy speculation on if nikon will relsease somehting?

Feb 16, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #97 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys, anyone of you wanna buy Nikon F3?

DJ - you are the king of all great eBay deals...you do have to be very careful with F3s and make sure they have been refurbished or are like new. You'll typically have to put in $200 into a used non-refurb one. However, you are on the right track - this is the "last of the best" rugged type F Cameras, especially the F3/T. I am "jonesing" for the F3/T champagne edition like this one, but just ridiculously expensive, so if you can help me like you did with the 35 f/1.4, I will repay you with some special download or something
biggrin.gif

FYI, the 35's on its way; I am keeping my fingers crossed!

Date Time Location Service Area Check Point Details
Feb 16, 2007 18:5450 AUSTRALIA - PERTH Processed for despatch.
Feb 16, 2007 18:5135 AUSTRALIA - PERTH Received and ready for processing.

Feb 17, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #98 of 5,895
Don't worry, if there's a nice deal I'll let you informed.

So the lens is on its way huh? That's great. It should be there sometime next week I reckon. Don't forget lots of pictures! (both lens and sample pictures)

Feb 17, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #99 of 5,895
Ok just as always with something im too uncertain on, im unable to make a decision even with the great advice given to me. Its seriously as though im TRYING to convince myself something is worth getting or NOT worth getting. D40 vs D50.

Basically my only real issue whether to get the D40 vs D50 is the long term costs of lenses if i decide to take my photography further. Im guessing since i plan not to take photography to the level where i have a full set of lenses, but rather just the basic stuff that will cover most types of shots.

I read somewhere that to get a D40, and get set up with lenses that would cover most of your shots would be rather expensive, as opposed to getting a D50 with lenses that cover most shots. And even comparable to a D80 with lenses... (i cant remember what site i read this, but they were listing lenses which didnt mean much to me
frown.gif
)

DAMIT WHY DIDNT THE D40 GET THE AF MOTORRRRRR T_T

Mocok, mind if i get ur msn? I wouldnt mind having a chat bout this lol ill pm my msn over if u like

Feb 17, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #101 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Long lens with no VR....likely to get stuck at <100mm without a tripod, or missing alot of shots. I'd probably rather get the 18-55mm instead
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. I've been using a 210mm telephoto (~315mm digital equivalent) for long shots and even at f/3.5, I can only shoot in full sunlight. Thanks for the tip!

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, like the 18-55, it has a plastic lens mount and really is produced as an "introductory" lens. That said, I like the 18-55 better than this lens. Slower focus at the long end, combined with the lens having to be wide open most of the time (maximum aperture) create some inconsistent focusing and lower performance. I definitely has its place, though, and performs pretty well stopped down.

Thanks for the info, sounds like I might want to purchase something else. Any suggestions for something comparable that's reasonably priced?

Feb 17, 2007 at 4:53 AM Post #102 of 5,895
Ok, i went into a few stores today, and spoke with some of the guys there. And ive deceded to stay away from the D40. So thats one thing off my mind :p

D50 it'll be :p Now since im getting my camera overseas, so its a bit cheaper, are there any lenses that you guys recommend to start a basic setup? I suppose if my gf is gona buy in HK i may as well get the cheaper lenses while i can.

So far i would suppose:
D50 Body
50mm 1.8 AF

Feb 17, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #103 of 5,895
Get the 18-55 or 18-70 kit lens as well

The 50mm f1.8 is a fine lens but you'd find yourself wishing you had something wider a lot of the time. (moving backwards is not always an option!*remembers the time he nearly backed into oncoming traffic*
eek.gif
)

Feb 17, 2007 at 12:22 PM Post #104 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by WhatMACHI /img/forum/go_quote.gif
D50 Body
50mm 1.8 AF

I would recommend a "portrait" lens like the AF 85 f/1.8 and a wide angle DX zoom as stated below.
Quote:

Originally Posted by av98m2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get the 18-55 or 18-70 kit lens as well

The 50mm f1.8 is a fine lens but you'd find yourself wishing you had something wider a lot of the time. (moving backwards is not always an option!*remembers the time he nearly backed into oncoming traffic*
eek.gif
)

Feb 17, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #105 of 5,895
Quote:

Mocok, mind if i get ur msn? I wouldnt mind having a chat bout this lol ill pm my msn over if u like

Quote:

Ok, i went into a few stores today, and spoke with some of the guys there. And ive deceded to stay away from the D40. So thats one thing off my mind :p

D50 it'll be :p Now since im getting my camera overseas, so its a bit cheaper, are there any lenses that you guys recommend to start a basic setup? I suppose if my gf is gona buy in HK i may as well get the cheaper lenses while i can.

So far i would suppose:
D50 Body
50mm 1.8 AF

I don't have MSN. and I was going to tell you the short answer - "D50"
icon10.gif
;but since you yourself already figured out that D50 is better, so the next logical thing for me to do is by confusing you even further by asking you to also consider whether or not to get D70s or D80 instead, lol.

But seriously, D50 is good enough already. Where are you going to get it and how much it costs? (including postage) (or is your girlfriend gonna buy one for you from HK?)

You can get a new D70s body for AUS$ 935 here. How much cheaper can you get for D50 from that overseas seller?

One thing you really have to consider about buying cameras from overseas is, be prepared to have lots of hassle when you have problem with the camera. (eg. camera faulty after you received it, Nikon Australia won't repair it, etc). Sending it back to overseas dealer will cost you both money and time.

The first camera I got got a group (around 5-6) bright pixels forming a cross pattern right around in the middle of the screen. They were bright green. Apparently bright/dark pixels are quite common problems, but some are not so obvious, people don't really care or don't really notice it.
(My brother's D200 got a cross-patterned dark pixels, but since it's really not noticeable in "real life", I decided not to inform him and let him be at peace and enjoy his camera)

But mine was so bright and sat around the centre of the screen, so it was obvious on most of the pictures I took.
So I took it back the next working day to the shop, and got a replacement straight away, no problem. So say if you got this from overseas, this thing would annoy the hell out of you.

I think if the difference is no more than $150, I'd get a local one if I were you.

About lens, in most circumstances I'd prefer to buy used (even overseas since lenses in general possess less possible problems compared to bodies) and just be a little bit patient and careful to wait for the "right" used lens to come around. You just need to find a lens whose owner is selling it because he/she rarely use it or doesn't like it, not because there's something wrong with it.

About the lens, 18-70mm or 50mm, both are great lenses, and both can be your main and only lens for awhile depending on your shooting style and circumstances.
But even if you got 18-70mm first, the 50mm is really a must have lens for Nikon. It's so cheap and considering what you can create with it, it's a steal.

Did some math for you:

Option A:
D70s (new) + 50mm AFD 1.8 (new)
= 935 + 200 = $1,135 = very happy shooter

Option B:
D70s (new) + 18-70mm (new)
= $1,335 = very happy shooter

Option C:
D70s (new) + 18-70mm (used)
= 935 + 300 = $1,235 = very happy shooter

But then, if you can get a bargain for D50, by all means just get a D50, and then maybe with the spare money you can buy both lenses.

PS: But if you have the 18-70mm and going to get 85mm 1.8, you can skip the 50mm 1.8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back