The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Sep 12, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #2,116 of 5,895
I just ordered the Sigma 50mm f/1.4. The review at dpreview.com makes it look like the perfect thing to round out my kit. 18-200VR, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 100 macro and 50 1.4. I should have it by the end of next week.

The reason I was hesitating on the 30 was because although the framing is close to a normal 35mm film lens, the way it looks through the camera isn't. Crop applies to the viewfinder too. If you hold the 30 up to your eye and keep the other eye open, they don't match. They do with the 50.

See ya
Steve

Sep 12, 2008 at 7:45 AM Post #2,117 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yay! I'm going to have to play around with that one. I've always been interested, but the min. focus distance always seemed pretty limiting.

Heheh, yeah, you'll get to use it all you want at the upcoming October SoCal Meet.
wink.gif
Or sooner, if you're in LA anytime beforehand.

Yeah, it's no macro lens, but it's not that bad. Definitely not a small object lens.

I plan on getting a Nikon 105mm VR Macro eventually. It's an awesome macro lens (full frame future proof) and can be used as a decent telephoto lens in a pinch. For a DX setup, I'd probably carry the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and 205mm Macro to cover the bases.

I like the wider angle at 30-35mm focal range offers me in the DX format. It's a great walk around lens for me. I don't shoot a lot with both my eyes open, so the 1:1 that a 50mm lens offers is not really a concern for me. It's too much of a telephoto lens for it to be useful for everyday use for me with the DX format. Now with Full Frame, that's another story.

The Sigma 30mm is fast. Autofocus is very fast as well, very quiet (doesn't have that really high pitched sound that my 18-200mm makes. Oh and the autofocus works very well in very low light, even without the assist lamp.

I like that you can immediately grab the focus ring and manually focus without changing the selector, which I guess is how it is with nearly all AF-S ultrasonic motor type lenses. The focus ring is well damped, although a little on the stiff side, but very usable.

The Sigma 30mm is pretty beefy too, but not all that long. The body is nearly all metal, but the coating is pretty thin, so looks like it will wear away a lot faster than the old school Nikon metal lenses.

Sep 12, 2008 at 8:43 AM Post #2,118 of 5,895
How does the new Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G compare to the 105mm one?

60mm will be far more useful on DX, not so much for FX. Also, the 60mm is significantly cheaper and smaller in size.

But it doesn't have VR, which the 105mm does.

Hmmmmm.....

-Ed

Sep 12, 2008 at 8:47 AM Post #2,119 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the new Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G compare to the 105mm one?

60mm will be far more useful on DX, not so much for FX. Also, the 60mm is significantly cheaper and smaller in size.

But it doesn't have VR, which the 105mm does.

Hmmmmm.....

-Ed

Sadly, you are comparing apples and oranges. Both are macro, but one is 60mm and the other is 105.

If you are going to be taking pictures of tiny spiders, you want the 105 (or longer).
If your macro work includes larger things, such as audio gear, product shots, etc, you'll want the 60mm.

The Nikkor 60mm Micro AF-D on my D50 gives me sharpness/detail approaching the 5D, which is saying A LOT!
It is by far the sharpest of my lens kit.

You won't go wrong either way, you just need to think about what focal length will be best for you.

Sep 12, 2008 at 8:50 AM Post #2,120 of 5,895
Oh, and also, VR helps when you are out in the wild taking pictures. If you will be using the macro lens on a tripod...... vr is pointless.

Sep 12, 2008 at 9:11 AM Post #2,121 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you are going to be taking pictures of tiny spiders, you want the 105 (or longer).
If your macro work includes larger things, such as audio gear, product shots, etc, you'll want the 60mm.

The Nikkor 60mm Micro AF-D on my D50 gives me sharpness/detail approaching the 5D, which is saying A LOT!
It is by far the sharpest of my lens kit.

You won't go wrong either way, you just need to think about what focal length will be best for you.

Yeah, I'd like keep my take around lenses down to two. Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and one of the Micro-Nikkors. I would probably be shooting mostly product type shots, but occassionally I'd like to be able to shoot really tiny things. Most of the times when I do that, I have access to controlled lighting.

I'm wondering, which one is better for portraits when it comes to just image quality? 60mm one or the 105mm one? (not considering focal length practicality)

Quote:

Oh, and also, VR helps when you are out in the wild taking pictures. If you will be using the macro lens on a tripod...... vr is pointless.

Product type shots, I'll almost always be hand holding. Tiny things, usually I use a tripod.

-Ed

Sep 12, 2008 at 12:32 PM Post #2,122 of 5,895
Most people would probably choose the 105mm for portraits provided that you have unlimited space to shoot from. The 60mm will require you to stand relatively close to your subject and thus make them feel intimidated by your presence.

Sep 12, 2008 at 1:05 PM Post #2,123 of 5,895
On a DX crop, I was getting pretty good 1/2 body shots from ~10-15ft away with a 60mm. A 105 would have required me to be farther away for the same shot. Since there were a lot of people there, being farther away won't have been a good thing in terms of framing.

So again, when you say portraits, it depends on whether you want to be somewhat close to the subject or farther away.

Shooting indoors, I would probably find the 105 to be too long. Actually, my 85mm is a bit on the long side for DX unless they are across the room.

As for the product shots, just be aware that 105mm is very telephoto relatively. If I were to take a picture of headphones with a 105, I would probably have to move back 10ft to get a good framing.

Should be interesting to see what you choose.

Sep 12, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #2,124 of 5,895
But he's using a D700 right? For portraits, I would get the 85mm f/1.4 and shoot at F/1.8-2.0 instead of a 105mm f/2.8.

Sep 12, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #2,125 of 5,895
Quote:

On a DX crop, I was getting pretty good 1/2 body shots from ~10-15ft away with a 60mm. A 105 would have required me to be farther away for the same shot. Since there were a lot of people there, being farther away won't have been a good thing in terms of framing.

So again, when you say portraits, it depends on whether you want to be somewhat close to the subject or farther away.

Shooting indoors, I would probably find the 105 to be too long. Actually, my 85mm is a bit on the long side for DX unless they are across the room.

As for the product shots, just be aware that 105mm is very telephoto relatively. If I were to take a picture of headphones with a 105, I would probably have to move back 10ft to get a good framing.

Should be interesting to see what you choose.

Hmmm. That is true. Especially if I were shooting stuff with a crowd of people around, I'd have to ask people to stand aside every time I took a picture. That would be a problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But he's using a D700 right? For portraits, I would get the 85mm f/1.4 and shoot at F/1.8-2.0 instead of a 105mm f/2.8.

Nope, I'll be using a D200. The D700 I'm playing with right now is not mine. Yes, it's a horrible horrible tease.
tongue.gif

-Ed

Sep 12, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #2,126 of 5,895
That Sigma 50 on a D200 is probably the closest to a full frame 85 1.4 that you are going to find. (75mm equivalent) It'll give you a nice creamy bokeh too. I use a Tokina 100mm 2.8 macro for portraits myself. Gotta keep far enough back to not be under the lights.

See ya
Steve

Sep 13, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #2,128 of 5,895
Moved to another forum. Wrong section.

Sep 13, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #2,129 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But 500 bucks for a 50 mil 1.4 is a bit too much to pay for me personally. Especially coming from a third party brand.

that's why you pay $300 for the smaller, lighter nikon 50/1.4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back