The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Jul 8, 2008 at 8:06 AM Post #1,606 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuarreg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, so if I stick with the D300, my film lenses are just fine, but if I want to step up to D700 or D3, I might want to pickup some of the new FF lenses.

No, those film lenses will be fine on a D3 or D700 as well, more than fine even. It's the DX lenses that'll only work on the D300 as they create an image that's smaller than you'd need on film or the FX (FX=FF) sensors of the D3/700 as they have the same size as film. I get the feeling the marketing-speak is confusing you
smily_headphones1.gif
New or old really shouldn't matter that much. Just buy the lenses you think you need, but if you ever want to use them on film or FX (D3/700), don't buy DX lenses.

Jul 8, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #1,607 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah the D700 looks reeaallly nice. Of course, to get the most out of it, I'd want a 14-24 2.8.
eek.gif

Outside of the Smyth system, what could you possible be going after headphone wise these days?

That would pretty much be it. Well, along with a better front end for the home theater. And perhaps that vibration platform.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Jul 8, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #1,608 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Braver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, those film lenses will be fine on a D3 or D700 as well, more than fine even. It's the DX lenses that'll only work on the D300 as they create an image that's smaller than you'd need on film or the FX (FX=FF) sensors of the D3/700 as they have the same size as film. I get the feeling the marketing-speak is confusing you
smily_headphones1.gif
New or old really shouldn't matter that much. Just buy the lenses you think you need, but if you ever want to use them on film or FX (D3/700), don't buy DX lenses.

Couldn't you just crop the image you get from using a DX lens on a FX sensor? The pixel density will be lower than say the image from a DX sensor, but wouild it be noticeable for internet viewing purposes (eg 1920x1200 max)? The D3/700 do have better S/N ratio so maybe it wouldn't be totally silly to use DX lenses however unlikely this may be...

Jul 8, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #1,609 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Couldn't you just crop the image you get from using a DX lens on a FX sensor? The pixel density will be lower than say the image from a DX sensor, but wouild it be noticeable for internet viewing purposes (eg 1920x1200 max)? The D3/700 do have better S/N ratio so maybe it wouldn't be totally silly to use DX lenses however unlikely this may be...

This crop is actually done automatically on D3. For internet purposes, it doesn't matter much as it's still higher resolution if that's all you were considering.

It would take me a while to get FX lenses so I'd use the DX mode still.

Jul 8, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #1,610 of 5,895
Quote:

The D3 and D700 do that already. But, lets be honest, you got the D300 to take the best pictures you could. To crop off 50% of the image seems like a waste.

Jul 8, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #1,612 of 5,895
Quote:

I see. 5.1MP won't be that great for cropping either...

It is, however, more than you need for a lot of other applications.

Jul 8, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #1,613 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuarreg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, so if I stick with the D300, my film lenses are just fine, but if I want to step up to D700 or D3, I might want to pickup some of the new FF lenses.

DX lenses will be perfectly usable on a D700 or D3. The camera will automatically sense that it's a DX lens and apply the crop.

The amount of pixels required to print a good picture is vastly overstated by some folks. I had a shot that I took on a 3 mp camera blown up to 18x24 and it looked perfect. A DX lens on a FF body would still produce superb results.

See ya
Steve

Jul 8, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #1,614 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D3 and D700 do that already. But, lets be honest, you got the D300 to take the best pictures you could. To crop off 50% of the image seems like a waste.

These cameras are about handling and features also not just image quality. It makes a difference to me and some other people. Sometimes you have no choice but to crop if you don't have enough telephoto range.

Quote:

I see. 5.1MP won't be that great for cropping either...

There are some people who don't need to crop and frame correctly right from the start.

Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is, however, more than you need for a lot of other applications.

Exactly. I would love a high speed crop mode. It let's me take more high speed shots and not use a lot of memory. I don't need a lot of res in these types of shots.

Jul 8, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #1,615 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These cameras are about handling and features also not just image quality. It makes a difference to me and some other people. Sometimes you have no choice but to crop if you don't have enough telephoto range.

There are some people who don't need to crop and frame correctly right from the start.

Exactly. I would love a high speed crop mode. It let's me take more high speed shots and not use a lot of memory. I don't need a lot of res in these types of shots.

Keep in mind though that the D700 doesn't have a high speed crop mode. It's 5 / 8 FPS regardless of whether a DX or FF lens is attached; as far as I know only the D3 changes its frame rate in response to the lens.

Jul 8, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #1,616 of 5,895
Quote:

I know.
cool.gif

Jul 9, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #1,617 of 5,895
Quote:

Keep in mind though that the D700 doesn't have a high speed crop mode. It's 5 / 8 FPS regardless of whether a DX or FF lens is attached; as far as I know only the D3 changes its frame rate in response to the lens.

8FPS is good enough for me.
cool.gif

Jul 9, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #1,618 of 5,895
Quote:

8FPS is good enough for me.
cool.gif

True, true. Only thing is, just like the D300 you can only get to 8 FPS with a battery grip, and frankly, there's little sense in buying a D700 unless you're going to keep the grip off; else you might as well buy a D3 (cost is a factor though).

Jul 9, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #1,619 of 5,895
Quote:

True, true. Only thing is, just like the D300 you can only get to 8 FPS with a battery grip, and frankly, there's little sense in buying a D700 unless you're going to keep the grip off; else you might as well buy a D3 (cost is a factor though).

The grip is very light weight and I love it's feel. Plus I already own it. I use it regularly without any batteries.
tongue.gif
I also don't want a D3 for the permanent size and weight.

Jul 9, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #1,620 of 5,895
Quote:

The grip is very light weight and I love it's feel. Plus I already own it. I use it regularly without any batteries.
tongue.gif
I also don't want a D3 for the permanent size and weight.

Well never mind then.
tongue.gif
Unfortunately I've never been able to demo the D300's battery grip, but I will say that I'm totally unimpressed by the D200's proprietary grip. It creaks, it rattles, its fairly unergonomic (the dual command dials are recessed, making their movement difficult) and frankly the plastic feels less solid that that found on the D40. I assume Nikon's heavily revised their grips but honestly, anything is better than the one I own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back