The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Jul 3, 2008 at 8:23 AM Post #1,561 of 5,895
I am not sure how to explain this, it's like explaining a sound. But you notice how in some pictures the little leaves sort of gelled together tidily?
That one I really like and I will never able to do that with my lens. It's just a little thing I know but it's a lot of difference for me. The bokeh is painting like.

Milk:
Of course I know bokeh is background/object/distance dependent - and focal length dependent too - too many variables, but some lenses just produce different characteristics altogether due to difference in lens design/quality.

Let's use these for example:

The first 2 pictures are the ones I took (actually my partner took it) using my Nikon, I know it can produce beautiful result, but the bokeh is just different altogether compared to Kinoptik one (the 3rd picture *owner of 3rd picture is Loveada in case he is reading this
icon10.gif
)

The first 2 are pictures of family members that's why I edited out the faces.

Picture 1 (Nikon)
sample1.jpg

Picture 2 (Nikon)
sample2.jpg

Picture 3 (Kinoptik)
sample3.jpg

PS: I don't know how much is the street price for Noct now, but I think the last time I saw it, it went for 3 grand?

Jul 3, 2008 at 11:21 AM Post #1,562 of 5,895
Oh ok, now I see what you mean.
The background in the bottom left really does look painted. Cool.

Jul 3, 2008 at 12:43 PM Post #1,563 of 5,895
The effect is growing on me
tongue.gif
. I have to say the effect doesn't quite work in its favour (IMO) in every situation.

This one's from the Chinese photography forum:
393766281_1066920ece_o.jpg

It's a fantastic shot, but the flowers are just a tad too punctuated. I don't like it when the background draws too much attention from the subject itself.

This one, however, is just superb!
368944626_e578de2403_o.jpg

Jul 3, 2008 at 12:49 PM Post #1,564 of 5,895
I think I can do as the second picture you mentioned, well at least close to it, but I don't think I can produce image even close to those grass pictures I mentioned.

I actually liked the background better on the 1st picture, I guess it's really subjective and depends on each person's taste huh? haha...

Jul 3, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #1,565 of 5,895
If bokeh is really important to you, you should give up on this Nikon digital business and either go to Zeiss and Leica lenses or go to medium format. For whatever reason, they just seem to do it better than most of the Canon and Nikon versions. Leica also has a 75/2 apo and a 75/1.4 that have a similar look to that kinoptic, though they look to be sharper and not quite as swirly in the bokeh. Their particularly swirly lens is the 50mm f/1

Jul 3, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #1,566 of 5,895
That said, a lot of older lenses tend to have that Kinoptic look. Spherical aberration is one of the causes (spherical aberration makes bokeh look better...usually). Another option would be to get either the 105/2 DC or 135/2 DC. Both these lenses have superb bokeh, and you can even control it with the DC function.

Jul 3, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #1,567 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not sure how to explain this, it's like explaining a sound. But you notice how in some pictures the little leaves sort of gelled together tidily?
That one I really like and I will never able to do that with my lens. It's just a little thing I know but it's a lot of difference for me. The bokeh is painting like.

Milk:
Of course I know bokeh is background/object/distance dependent - and focal length dependent too - too many variables, but some lenses just produce different characteristics altogether due to difference in lens design/quality.

Let's use these for example:

The first 2 pictures are the ones I took (actually my partner took it) using my Nikon, I know it can produce beautiful result, but the bokeh is just different altogether compared to Kinoptik one (the 3rd picture *owner of 3rd picture is Loveada in case he is reading this
icon10.gif
)

The first 2 are pictures of family members that's why I edited out the faces.

Picture 1 (Nikon)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/dj_mocok/sample1.jpG]

Picture 2 (Nikon)
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/dj_mocok/sample2.j/G]

Picture 3 (Kinoptik)
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/dj_mocok/sample3.jpMG]

PS: I don't know how much is the street price for Noct now, but I think the last time I saw it, it went for 3 grand?[/i]
[/td] [/tr] [/table]

I see what you're going for in the last comparison, but to be fair, I don't think the "normal" Nikon lens on the right has the best bokeh to begin with. As has been said, however, bokeh is dependent on many different factors, and in some cases the Kinoptic effect seems to work quite well.

Jul 3, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #1,569 of 5,895
Quote:

Originally Posted by stuartr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If bokeh is really important to you, you should give up on this Nikon digital business and either go to Zeiss and Leica lenses or go to medium format. For whatever reason, they just seem to do it better than most of the Canon and Nikon versions. Leica also has a 75/2 apo and a 75/1.4 that have a similar look to that kinoptic, though they look to be sharper and not quite as swirly in the bokeh. Their particularly swirly lens is the 50mm f/1

Hehe... I know, but my wallet doesn't agree to my taste of lenses. Yeah I also love those Leica Noctilux lenses (Particularly the one I would love to have is the 50mm f/1 Noctilux for Leica rangefinder), I don't know why Nikon can't make those kind of lenses... But anyway, if they did, it would be out of my price range anyway.

Jul 4, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #1,570 of 5,895
Are any of the Leica lens compatible with Nikon?

Congrats FrederikS|TPU. I had a good half an hour with a friend's D80/18-135 the other day and it's a joy to use!

Jul 4, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #1,571 of 5,895
If I'm not mistaken, you can use some old Leica lenses with your Nikon but you have to use adapter. I'm not sure exactly which one, the reason I have no idea now is maybe because I found out it was too much hassle or too costly, hehe...

Jul 4, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #1,572 of 5,895
That Knoptix does have some very interesting bokeh, and I can see why one might want such a tool. No different than an instrument that has a particular sound, it might not be universally appealing, but if one can find the right way to apply it, more power to them.

FWIW I really like the flower bokeh behind the woman, whereas the bokeh behind the man does look a bit more generic.

Jul 5, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #1,573 of 5,895
I got my D40 a few days ago. I've been playing around with it incessantly. Here's one photo that makes me giggle every time. (it's just begging for an lolcats-esque caption, but I haven't thought of anything good yet)

zomg_lolsquirrels.jpg

Suffice to say, I've been having fun.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back