The next step?
Sep 12, 2013 at 12:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Dustandshadow13

Head-Fier
Hey guys, I have a pair of DT-990s currently powered by a WA3 off of an X-Fi Titanium HD. I was thinking of getting a T1 but I decided to field some opinions first.

I appreciated the "smiley faced" sound of the 990s. I can see what people say about the treble, but it isn't a deal breaker, nor is that kind of treble a must. I mostly listen to metal and a lot of Two Steps from Hell. I'd be willing to go to $2k tops.

What are your thoughts?

Sep 12, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #2 of 11
The DT990 is a headphone many of us have had because it does have its good points.  Comfort, more bass than the HD600, and the treble is definitely revealing.  In the end I sold mine because compared to other more technically flat in the frequency response headphones like the Denon AH-D2000 the DT990 sounds extremely colored especially in the midrange.

If you listen to a ton of metal you probably want a headphone with a slight downward tilt to it so your ears do not fatigue.

Do you prefer an open headphone?

The HD650 is an awesome headphone, but I fear, much like the T1 that it may not be a big difference to your ears and you may not like it at first.

Headphones I suggest trying:
HD650 ( One of the best headphones around, crisp, clean, fun, and not fatiguing. Perhaps colored )
AKG K550 ( The closest headphone I have found to the Denon AH-D2000, Closed headphone )
AKG K712 Pro ( Great open sound, very speaker-like, easy to listen to, perhaps not the best for metal )
HE-500 ( poor mans LCD-2 )
LCD-2 ( tend to be a tad heavy and uncomfortable for long listening sessions )
LCD-3 ( Improved treble response and speed compared to the LCD-2, well worth it if budget it not a concern )

The HD650 from the WA3 sounds extremely good and fun.  A combo worth listening to for a few days for sure.

You ever listen to Tantric?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjATZYHs4Tc

Well recorded and fun to listen to if you like hard rock.

Sep 12, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #3 of 11
I love my 990s,but they are the only pair I have ever heard. I've read enough to be aware of its shortcomings and I'm looking to upgrade. Love the comfort. Open/closed isn't a big deal but I love the soundstage.

I was looking at the lcd-2/3 that's what prompted me to ask.

Sep 12, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #4 of 11
To my ear the LCD-3 is outstanding, but some have trouble justifying the extra cost and I can see their point.  The increase in sound quality from the LCD-2 Rev 2 to the LCD-3 is small, but for how much listening I do at my PC I consider it a must.

The HE-500 is not only less expensive it is also lighter making it easier to listen to for hours.  I would go that route if you have to choose between the LCD-2/3 and the HE-500.

Sep 12, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #5 of 11
I'm really curious about the 3. I don't typically listen for extended periods but I use mine a lot. I figure if I'm going to make that kind of investment I'd rather go all in so I don't wonder if the next is better. Haha. At least there is a 30 day eval period.

Sep 13, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #7 of 11
For metal in particular I enjoy the HE-500, LCD2/3 and HE-6 the most. The T1 is rather good with rock, but it is not the fastest headphone out there. 

The LCD2 > 3 Jump in quality is noticeable but not massive to my ears. YMMV as I only got to hear it at the store on the Soloist which is not an endgame amp. The Planars are fast, have great bass, PRaT and mids. The weaknesses of course are comfort and smaller soundstaging than some other top cans, and also the HE-6 amping requirements.

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #9 of 11
If the LCD-3 was $500 less I would recommend them more often, but they are on the expensive side for how they improve over the LCD-2.

It should be fun when you get a chance to audition either pair.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back