The Next Step ("upgrade") After Fidelio X2's, HD600, and ATH-AD2000 (Goodbye Wallet)?
Feb 7, 2016 at 9:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Feilong4

Headphoneus Supremus
So I'm a broke student, but since that has nothing to do with my sonic preferences.. I've been craving something a step or (a few miles) above these headphones.

I love them no doubt, but just minor complaints with them include:

HD600: Want something more "exciting", more treble extension and presence without sounding harsh or unnatural, love the mids but maybe a little more in the mids
X2's: Treble is the deal breaker for me, treble is too peaky and unnatural for my tastes. Excellent bass though.
AD2000: Love the mids but maybe a very slight step back in the mids, needs a touch more bass and tightness in the bass, needs more treble presence as well, doesn't sound very natural/clear enough (especially after a listening session with the HD600)

-I don't care all that much about soundstage but I appreciate a wide soundstage (like in the X2's) though I am looking for something "enveloping" where you close your eyes and then the next you know you're holding onto the bed when the beat drops (I don't listen to dubstep but it still applies).

-I like a slight V-shape but also a pretty forward midrange for the electric guitars and vocals.

-I HATE peaky/unnatural treble (like in the X2's Aurisonics Forte), a smooth treble but still detailed and airy

-I like a somewhat elevated bass response but without a lot of bloat and congestion (like in the Beats Studio *shivers*) Momentum M2 bass is just a touch much for me otherwise perfect; I don't mind the bass to be a bit lighter

-I like somewhat forward mids (a touch more so than the HD600 and a slight step back from the AD2000)

-These will be at home listening so open-back is preferred but I can do closed back as well (people get mad when I don't hear them and I don't know why haha)

-Detachable is preferred but I can do with fixed cables although I would like one with a cable longer than 6 feet (not a deal breaker).

-Maybe around the 300-700 USD range New or Used

-I have both the Schiit Magni and Vali for amps, and the ifi Nano iDSD as the DAC.

-My music preferences includes a little bit of everything (yes, even a little bit of country and dubstep) but my music playlist mostly consists of J-Pop and J-Rock.

I've been looking at the Hifiman HE-500 and I found one that went for 300 USD including shipping and fees but I was too stupid (and broke) to jump on it. That really made me sad but anyway.

I've also been looking at the Alpha Dogs and the Koss ESP-950 (which I heard the sound is pretty non-musical so kinda leaning away on the ESP-950).

Basically, I've been looking at Planars and some Electrostatics.

Please do help!

Feb 7, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #2 of 19
I've been check out the Fostex TH-X00, from Massdrop, two days left to sign up for the buy.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00

Feb 7, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #3 of 19
  I've been check out the Fostex TH-X00, from Massdrop, two days left to sign up for the buy.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00

I have been looking at those but the estimated shipping date is in May. I'm also afraid that they might sound a bit nasal for male vocals and slow for Rock/Punk music.

Don't know if anyone can chime in about that though.

Feb 7, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #4 of 19
I think you'did like the FAD Sonorous VI (formerly Pandora Hope VI). Better sound stage than a lot of open cans I've owned or tried. Great detail retrieval. It's a dynamic/BA hybrid. Should be able to find one for 350 to 400 on the forums.

Feb 8, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #5 of 19
I think you'did like the FAD Sonorous VI (formerly Pandora Hope VI). Better sound stage than a lot of open cans I've owned or tried. Great detail retrieval. It's a dynamic/BA hybrid. Should be able to find one for 350 to 400 on the forums.

Would you say you find them quite "fun" to listen to?

Feb 8, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #6 of 19
I'll throw a dart at the board. Maybe the Hifiman HE-400S? Supposedly a pad change can linearize its low-end even more if you wanted.

Though good, the X00 probably won't have the mids you seem to be searching for (ie. "a touch more so than the HD600").

Feb 8, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #8 of 19
Hifiman HE-400i

Quote:
  I'll throw a dart at the board. Maybe the Hifiman HE-400S? Supposedly a pad change can linearize its low-end even more if you wanted.

Though good, the X00 probably won't have the mids you seem to be searching for (ie. "a touch more so than the HD600").

Are the HE-400S a clear step above the headphones that I have? I know Tyll from Innerfidelity seems to prefer them over the HD600 and I might like the HE-400S, but I'd like something that'll blow me away each time I listen to them (very specific and accurate terms, I know). I also saw ZReview's review of the HE-400S but I'm getting the feeling that it's more of a compliment to the headphones that I have more so than an "upgrade" or step up.

Honestly, I like the mids on the HD600. I wouldn't mind if the mids were pretty much on the same level of quality. I just don't like a random vocal "spike" or harshness like in the MSR7. 

I'm also kinda getting the same idea about the HE-400i with the HE-400S about how they seem to be compliments.

Please do leave your inputs though!

Feb 8, 2016 at 1:18 AM Post #9 of 19
You should consider the AudioTechnica R70x
Sort of a Sennheiser HD600's sound signature but just a tad more u-shaped

Feb 8, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #10 of 19
  Are the HE-400S a clear step above the headphones that I have? I know Tyll from Innerfidelity seems to prefer them over the HD600 and I might like the HE-400S, but I'd like something that'll blow me away each time I listen to them (very specific and accurate terms, I know). I also saw ZReview's review of the HE-400S but I'm getting the feeling that it's more of a compliment to the headphones that I have more so than an "upgrade" or step up.

Honestly, I like the mids on the HD600. I wouldn't mind if the mids were pretty much on the same level of quality. I just don't like a random vocal "spike" or harshness like in the MSR7. 

I'm also kinda getting the same idea about the HE-400i with the HE-400S about how they seem to be compliments.

Please do leave your inputs though!

Indeed those terms are very specific, and also quite subjective. That should be no surprise in this hobby. Case in point, I've owned the MSR7 and I personally never found them harsh. Bright but not harsh. The "mid-fi" HPs I own amaze me when I listen to them, so I count myself lucky and quite satisfied (X00 & 400i through the m9XX).

IMO, the headphones being recommended are all "good" enough that they fall into the same technical neighborhood. Nowadays, at this level I think they truly only vary from a sound flavor/signature and a usage standpoint (ease-to-drive, comfort, etc). So I don't know if you'll find any great technical "upgrade" from your current, complimentary trio, especially within your budget range. Heck, many who have been in this audiophile game far longer than us both appear to be blown away with the HD600/650s paired with certain amps/DACs. It may simply be that you haven't found the sound flavor/combo that blows you away each time. It may be that you yearn for TOTL, which is probably just those last few technical percentages, ignoring things like the Orpheus or the SR-009. Or it maybe a hybrid of the two. The cheapest next step for you, since you are such a broke student (
rolleyes.gif

beerchug.gif
), might be to find a diverse headphone meet or local HP store, and go wild. That could help you figure things out better. My 2 pesos.

Feb 8, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #12 of 19
  You should consider the AudioTechnica R70x
Sort of a Sennheiser HD600's sound signature but just a tad more u-shaped

I was considering them like a few months ago but I also heard that they're pretty comparable to the HD600.

Indeed those terms are very specific, and also quite subjective. That should be no surprise in this hobby. Case in point, I've owned the MSR7 and I personally never found them harsh. Bright but not harsh. The "mid-fi" HPs I own amaze me when I listen to them, so I count myself lucky and quite satisfied (X00 & 400i through the m9XX).

IMO, the headphones being recommended are all "good" enough that they fall into the same technical neighborhood. Nowadays, at this level I think they truly only vary from a sound flavor/signature and a usage standpoint (ease-to-drive, comfort, etc). So I don't know if you'll find any great technical "upgrade" from your current, complimentary trio, especially within your budget range. Heck, many who have been in this audiophile game far longer than us both appear to be blown away with the HD600/650s paired with certain amps/DACs. It may simply be that you haven't found the sound flavor/combo that blows you away each time. It may be that you yearn for TOTL, which is probably just those last few technical percentages, ignoring things like the Orpheus or the SR-009. Or it maybe a hybrid of the two. The cheapest next step for you, since you are such a broke student (
rolleyes.gif

beerchug.gif
), might be to find a diverse headphone meet or local HP store, and go wild. That could help you figure things out better. My 2 pesos.

Some people like the HD600 with the Vali more so than the Magni, but I find myself using them with the Magni a lot more. I don't like the push back in the bass and vocal range (if that's what they do) on the Vali but I do appreciate the more laid back presentation. Apparently the HD600 with the Bottlecrack is amazing but I don't really know if I want to invest in that just for the HD600.

I'll probably wait for a headphone meet like you said, and listen to the various set ups. No idea if it would be rude to bring my external hard drive so I play my own music haha (never been to a meet).The only headphone stores really are like the Apple store and Best Buy, but there was one that carried Grado's older Prestige (i) series. Didn't find them too comfortable, though I did have the SR225e from ebay for a month or two before selling them.

Crossing my fingers for a meet that I can attend!

Get the Sonarworks VST Plugin. You'll love yourself for doing it. It has a free trial.

Just tried it with the JRiver software. JRiver's software freezes on every single click and made it quite painful to navigate. What software did you use with the Sonarworks plugin?

And also, I must be hard to impress because I wasn't necessarily impressed with the equalizations (or probably doing something wrong).

Feb 8, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #14 of 19
I use with JRiver and Foobar. Use the 32bit version of the plugin.

Ok, I think I got it now.

Is it weird that I prefer it when the calibration is turned off and it's just regular HD600 with no corrections?

Feb 8, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #15 of 19
R70x

Quote:
  I was considering them like a few months ago but I also heard that they're pretty comparable to the HD600.

Yes, they are. Most quality headphones are pretty comparable to the HD600 in the grand scheme of things.
Your preferences play a key role here.

You said:

Originally Posted by Feilong4

HD600: Want something more "exciting", more treble extension and presence without sounding harsh or unnatural, love the mids but maybe a little more in the mids

So I suggested the R70x

There's always a trade off.

- HD560 is superior here and there but it's colder/drier
- T1 is superior here and there but it's significantly brighter and not as warm as HD600
- K702 is superior here and there but it's really dry and too forward with the wrong recordings
- HD800 is superior here and there but it's cold, bright, clinical, unforgiving.

You know what I mean. 

LCD-3 might work but it's expensive and heavy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back