The Next Step Up
Oct 10, 2010 at 6:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

hmp406

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

My rig so far is this:

Grado SR325is -- Little Dot I+ w/ GB408a Tubes -- Headroom Micro DAC -- Macbook Pro S/PDIF.

I think the weak part of the chain is the headroom micro DAC. What should I upgrade it to?

Best,
Harrison

Oct 11, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #2 of 8
I would say the weakest part of your chain is the Little Dot amp.  The Micro DAC is one fine source, especially for the 325is.  I would say to upgrade the amp.  One great amp would be a Ray Samuels Audio XP-7, I imagine its sound sig, slightly warm, would complement the Grados very well.

A budget would help us make suggestions.

Oct 11, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #3 of 8
I´d agree with the amp being the weakest link, although I have to admit this is just based on theory and various reviews. DAC technology is evolving fast though... So a DAC upgrade isn´t out of the table either. Depends on what kind of sound do you like? Tube-musical, neutral? Budget?

If neutral is ok, maybe the new Audio-gd NFB-11 would be perfect and you´get get two upgrades at once. If you prefer a more tubelike sound, the Audio-gd C2 amplifier. Then you could tune the sound with the different modules.

And if want to stay on tubes, a higher up Little Dot amp would be great too if you like the current sound. Or maybe one of the Woo Audio ones. I have no experience when it comes to tube amps though
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 11, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #4 of 8
Budget would probably be ~300-500 dollars. I like the warm tube sound. Basically I want the nice warm bassy feel I get listening to my friends' vinyl setups. What amps are good for this? Thanks for suggesting an amp upgrade.

Oct 12, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #5 of 8
I would do a search for Skylabs Tube amps reviews.  He has a ranking thread where he compares them and then ranks them in terms of sound quality.  There are a bunch of amps in your price range that should outperform the Little Dot by a good bit.

Oct 12, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #7 of 8
I haven't heard the WA6, but I have heard the WA22 with the 800s and thought it was great.  The 325is/WA6 combo should have the same basic sound signature, only telegraphed a few notches down on raw resolution, but none on fun or musical bliss.  Get it in black to match the Micro and your set for life...!

Oct 12, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #8 of 8
I'm leaning towards the silver only because the headroom is hidden and my macbook pro, wireless keyboard, hard drive are all in that aluminum finish. Well, I got a couple of new jobs lined up so as soon as the credit cards are paid off I know what I'm splurging on
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back