The next step up from KSC-75s/buying new 'phones
Sep 18, 2005 at 4:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

CloudySkies

100+ Head-Fier
I want to replace my KSC-75s with something that will be clearly better and have a $70ish budget to do so. These are going to be my last headphones that I buy for quite some time, and I would like them to be easily powered by portable devices such as a Sony Discman or an iAUDIO M3 without the use of an external amp. I'm looking primarily for something that sounds good for rock, but I also would want this 'phone to sound good for just about anything (pop, acoustic, electronica, etc). I liked the active sound of my KSC-75s, but I would like to hear more detail, clarity, and have a smoother presentation from my next 'phones yet still keep the active and punchy nature of the KSC-75s. I'm uncertain about whether I want open or sealed 'phones, so I've made a list of choices I've found for each:

Open:

Senn PX100
Grado SR60
Audio-Technica ATH-AD300

Closed:

Senn EH250
Beyer DT231
AKG K26P
Audio-Technica ATH-T22
Audio-Technica ATH-T44
Audio-Technica ATH-FC7

Can anybody give me some feedback about these models, or make some suggestions? In particular, I'd like to know if any of these models produce sound quality that's as good or better than the Grado SR60 and whether or not any of these are a definate huge step up from the KSC-75s. Closed cans would be nice to have, but I'm concerned with whether any of the models I've listed will sound as good as their open counterparts.

Sep 18, 2005 at 4:34 AM Post #5 of 23
I don't know how much better the cans on your list are going to sound. My old modded PortaPro's, which have the same drivers as the KSC 75's, still sound better than than the PX 100's. An option might be to stay with what you have and amp them with a PA2V2 for $60.
Whoops, I see you'd rather not use an amp but I still think it's worth considering.

Sep 18, 2005 at 5:06 AM Post #6 of 23
after going to a meet today, listened to my ksc-75, then the MS-1. If you've got the cash, I would heavily suggest it. I don't go anywhere without my 75s, and as soon as I can budget it, I will have a pair of ms1s following me around.

Sep 18, 2005 at 6:28 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader
after going to a meet today, listened to my ksc-75, then the MS-1. If you've got the cash, I would heavily suggest it. I don't go anywhere without my 75s, and as soon as I can budget it, I will have a pair of ms1s following me around.

Do you think of your SR60s as being a lot better than your KSc75s? I don't know if I want to spend the extra $$$ on the MS1's,but I'll think about that if I decide on the SR60s out of the 'phones on my list.

Sep 18, 2005 at 6:46 AM Post #8 of 23
Thst KSC75 are a extreme value for money if you ask me. The MS1s are technically better. (i.e. When you do a comparison as objectively as posssible the MS1s are clearly the winner.) But sometimes I prefer the ksc75s because they are such fun.
It's been a long time since I've heard the SR60s so I can't give you an answer on how much of an upgrade it is. To me the ms1s is the first step up worth your while. (Just MY opinion) So the step to the sr60 might be too small.

Anyway I'd suggest saving up for the MS1s or at least make sure you have a listen to the sr60s to see if it's worth it before you buy. Or buy used or get it somewhere with a good return policy.

Sep 18, 2005 at 7:12 AM Post #9 of 23
stop!
biggrin.gif

seriously.. in some ways your heading down the road of endless spending. if you buy better cans.. you'll want to improve the sound with a amp.. with a better amp you'll want a better source. lolz = $$$

I suggest you find what what you "need". I sold a lot of my cans after coming to a realization I could make do without them. I'm just advising you on my experience, don't let curiosity control your spending. Of course if your not like me and a poor college student then spend freely.
What I did was break up my priorities and then choose which headphones to keep.

sorry for the gloom..
good luck~
280smile.gif

Sep 18, 2005 at 8:59 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by anyoung
stop!
biggrin.gif

seriously.. in some ways your heading down the road of endless spending. if you buy better cans.. you'll want to improve the sound with a amp.. with a better amp you'll want a better source. lolz = $$$

I suggest you find what what you "need". I sold a lot of my cans after coming to a realization I could make do without them. I'm just advising you on my experience, don't let curiosity control your spending. Of course if your not like me and a poor college student then spend freely.
What I did was break up my priorities and then choose which headphones to keep.

sorry for the gloom..
good luck~
280smile.gif

Heyyyyyyy, you've just described my living situation....poor college student who's away from home and penny-pinching
biggrin.gif
. Right now I only have a pair of Senn MX450 'buds, the stock Cresyns that came with my M3, and then the KSC75s. If you want to go by necessity, I would need a good pair of in-ears or 'buds that don't leak much, or a good pair of portable sealed 'phones that I can use for on the go use, as I can't use my MX450s anymore since I've bought the KSC75s....yes, the difference between the two has rendered both the Senns and Cresyns completely useless for me
lambda.gif
. But once again, if I bought a pair of quality 'buds or sealed cans that don't stack up to the KSC75s, I'd probably find myself going back to the KSC75s yet again. Pretty pointless and confusing, huh
biggrin.gif
?

Sep 18, 2005 at 9:01 AM Post #12 of 23
Many of the cans you mentioned will sound worse compared to the KSC75, especially the Px100 and the K26. I really love my KSCs, these little bastards displayed clearly some limitations of my big "main" cans.

In respect of your list, you forgot the Senn HD25-1 as "state of the art closed portable can". (doubt that even this one is superior to the Koss)

The SR60 is going to look more prestegious but providing overall comparable sound.

Thus, my vote is to keep the KSCs or to head towards the MS1. But even with these, you'll return to the KSCs sometimes.

Sep 18, 2005 at 9:12 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen
Many of the cans you mentioned will sound worse compared to the KSC75, especially the Px100 and the K26. I really love my KSCs, these little bastards displayed clearly some limitations of my big "main" cans.

In respect of your list, you forgot the Senn HD25-1 as "state of the art closed portable can". (doubt that even this one is superior to the Koss)

The SR60 is going to look more prestegious but providing overall comparable sound.

Thus, my vote is to keep the KSCs or to head towards the MS1. But even with these, you'll return to the KSCs sometimes.

......crap, hey if anybody out there makes a sub $100 sealed 'phone or in-ear/bud that is basically a thicker, fuller, more groovy/toe tapping fun, expanded soundstage take on the KSC75, then I'd be sold
etysmile.gif
!!!!! If only the KSC75s didn't leak so damned much......otherwise they'd be the perfect portable 'phone.

Sep 18, 2005 at 9:32 AM Post #14 of 23
I'll keep my KSCs forever, but I'm putting money aside for the HD25-1 for those situations where I need closed cans (i.e. bicycle riding, "Shhhhhhhh" with open cans)

Sep 18, 2005 at 9:46 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen

About the HD25-1 vs. KSC75.
Only with the HD25-13 cable (or alternative) I think they are better. With stock cable I prefer the 75s. with the stock cable they sound strained and off IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back