The next step(from HD555 and ATH-A900)
Jan 11, 2009 at 12:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

stinn

New Head-Fier
My current setup is AV-710 > M^3 > HD555, since I just sold my A900s. I'm planning to replace the 710 for an Asus card, probably the Essense when it becomes available again. I've always been interested in going with a tube amp as well, so that could be added to the setup eventually.
Anyway, I cannot sell one set of headphones and not replace them. I prefer open cans as I live by myself and have no one to annoy. Can anyone suggest the "next step" in quality. Here's a few I've thought about: HD580/600, DT-880/990, AKG? I haven't exactly set a budget for this but I don't want to go too crazy.
Thanks for any suggestions. I'll probably be selling my 555s soon and just go down to a single headphone setup.

Jan 11, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #3 of 12
If possible I'd like to get something now that will work well with what i have but would have headroom to improve with future source upgrades. For cans I wouldn't really want to go above $350 or $400, and I would look at used stuff.

Jan 11, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #6 of 12
If you're looking to change general sound signature from what you have now I have the following two suggestions

Open Cans
Beyer DT990 (Needs an amp)

Closed Cans
Denon AHD 5000 (No Amp Required)

Both of these cans will give you a more "Fun" "Happy" SQ over the Senns or AT's

Jan 11, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #7 of 12
Brando: I'll keep those in mind. Do they sound pretty similar to the A900s?

Scytheavatar: Honestly I've been out of headphones for a while, that's the reason I sold my 900s. I really enjoyed both phones. I liked the 555s just a touch better out of my m^3. When I wasn't using an amp I think the 900s had the edge. This is just from memory though.

Boomy: I wouldn't mind a change, I like to try new things and if I don't like them I can always sell and get something new. Would my M^3 be good enough for the 990's? I've read some people complaining about the highs on the 880's, are the 990's better for this?

Jan 11, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #8 of 12
I had the a900 and the ad2000 are what I wished the a900 were. The ad2000 just sound right to me. Nothing overpowers anything else and they just sound so clean but with punch and rumble when called for, but never more than there's supposed to be. And they can do electric guitar extremely well. If you get them try some old Van Halen or something with epic sounding electric guitar with phenomenal recording quality and you'll see what I mean. My favorite thing about them is that they work with every kind of music pretty well so I don't need a bunch of different phones. And according to some people in the computer as source section, the Xonar essence is extremely good for the money. One guy said it was almost on par with his Corda opera which is a $900 dac\amp. I have a D2X now but I can't wait to hear the essence if it really sounds better than this. It's hard to imagine because the D2X sounds awesome to me. Significantly better than the modded Xtrememusic I sold.

Jan 11, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #9 of 12
Stin,
I feel that the A900's were more of a smooth balanced "Gentle" reference style SQ Whereas the Beyers and Denons are much more "Punchy" and Alive. A change from your present sound signature. I listen to many different genre from BeeGees to soundtracks to John Williams all they way to Boston and my new Favorite "Plain White T's" ( I have my ten y/o to thank for that) I even got him his own pair of AE-1's Customs for Christmas even though I knew his ears would outgrow them in about 10 months.
Any way The AD2000's are said to be the betterment of theW5000's but then we're getting into a higher budget bracket. I got my DT990's for $214.00 and my Denon AHD 5000's for $420.00 but prices fluctuate quicky so you have to look around and try to catch them at thier best price.

Jan 11, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #10 of 12
Musicians friend sells scratch n' dent ath-ad2000's sometimes for $375. They're guaranteed to be functional but may have a cosmetic defect. Or go used.

Jan 11, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #11 of 12
The ATH-AD2000s are really starting to sound more and more tempting. Since I also plan to go down to a single headphone setup(at least for the time being) I like the fact that they do all genres well. My music taste is pretty eclectic, my current playlist in winamp is:
Bright Eyes - Lifted
Minus the Bear - Planet of Ice
The Black Keys - Attack and Release
Antony & the Johnsons - The Crying Light
Ash Grunwald - Fish out of Water

But I'll listen to everything from Loretta Lynn to The White Stripes to Tom Waits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back