The Newbie Sunglass Thread
Jun 2, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #196 of 242
Oakleys are pretty decent, if you can find somebody with a military ID, you can get them through the discount program, not too many people know about it. something close to 50% off. They are only offered in flat black and don't say "oakley" across the bridge of the nose. They almost look like knock offs. But are great. They also make some of the best boots and tactical gloves. Just in case you should need some.

Jun 2, 2007 at 9:43 AM Post #197 of 242
I have a pair of Oakley Whiskers and I can't stand the case that comes with it. I have the black nylon zipper case. I find it really hard to close the zipper of the case over the glasses becuase the fit is really tight. Does anyone know of a case that doesn't use a zipper that can store my Oakleys?

Jun 2, 2007 at 10:45 AM Post #198 of 242
Are the Whiskers coming with a vault now? Most Oakleys only come with the microfiber pouch. You could always try a small soft vault, or a small metal vault, both of those fit the Whiskers. I don't know your definition of tight fit though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 3, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #200 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And I'm waiting for Bong to pop back in here and tell us about the Nanowire 1 or 2.0's.
biggrin.gif

haha... i'm actually excited to try out Nanowire 3. i need a shield lens in my collection and i'm hoping the Nanowire 3 will fit my huge melon. i think the Nanowire 1 and 2 looks a bit too much like Why 8.1, but i'll give them a try anyway. all these new Nanowires are made with Titanium and Oakley's new Hrdrophobic Polarized lenses so they cost a pretty penny. it'll be hard for me to justify buying them at retail price, but if the Nanowire 3 fits me, i'm sold.

as for the Whiskers, i have a few and they fold pretty wide, so they might not fit the standard Oakley Soft Vault case. i would suggest going to the nearest Oaskey Store or Sunglass Hut and trying the larger X-Metal Soft Vault.

Oakley's customer service isn't bad... depends on which representative you catch when calling them. most of them know their stuff, but once in a while i get some teenage kid who's only there for the job. with my experience their warranty policy is pretty fair, only if the particular model in question is still in stock.

Jun 3, 2007 at 8:37 AM Post #201 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuerst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How's Oakley's customer service/repair? I had my Oakley Hatchet for less than 3 weeks and it already sustained damage thanks to some #$"*%@ who felt the need to knock them to the ground while it was hanging on my shirt collar.

Should be ok if you've got warranty. I had a pair where the frame split under one lens when I pushed them back up the bridge of my nose. I think it cost me around 9 bucks to get them repaired, and I suspected they may have just sent me a new pair. It took a couple weeks to get them back, but no biggie.

Jun 6, 2007 at 8:47 AM Post #202 of 242
Alright i've been looking too!

$100 is my limit, I want something I can wear anywhere. Something to go with anything, I usually wear shorts/jeans and polo but occasionally I wear a t-shirt and a hat. I'd like something to go with both. I have two other pairs of sunglasses but I want a good pair for once, I can't decide what to get. I'd like something polarized, something for driving and wearing outside on sunny days. The others that I have aren't that great for very sunny days. I've been looking at Nike sunglasses, are they any good?

Jun 8, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #204 of 242
Time to ask some more opinions from those who know sunglasses around here. I'm looking for a new pair around $100, I can go a little over and will go under if there is anything worth while. I have a fairly slim face so there aren't many that look great. I really like the Oakley Half Wires, but can't quite justify the price. Anything close in the style and size, but more in my price range?

Jun 8, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #205 of 242
Well here's my take on the Maui Jim Shaka versus it's closest Oakley counterpart, the matte black/black polarized Unknown: (this is glass versus polycarbonate, but read on..)

Take nothing away from the Maui Jim, it is clear, clearer than I expected. I'm not so sure about polarized plus though. I can see the polarization, but it doesn't seem as strong as Oakley's black iridium polarized lenses. One such indicator is looking at a cell phone or ipod screen: No rainbow effect with the Maui's. You're supposed to see that with polarized lenses. There is polarization there, I can see the tinting on our car's back windshield.. I'm just not convinced. I think there's a bigger reason why I can't get convinced either, which leads to the second point...

The Maui Jim black lenses let in a LOT of light when compared to Oakley's black iridium. They let in so much light that in a parking lot full of cars, where polarized lenses are really supposed to make an easy job of the sun's reflection, I couldn't stop squinting. If I'm wearing black lenses, it's not because I want to be having to squint. The polarization on the Maui's may have been really good, but on water and on the road, it's just letting in too much sun for it to matter.

And now on to build quality. No Oakleys I've ever had creaked or squeaked or cracked. With the Maui Jims they sound like they're about to fall apart whenever I put them on and take them off. The Mauis did have spring hinges, and nose grips built into the bridge, which was a nice touch, but the reality is they slid down my nose anyway. Some Oakleys do and don't do that, depending on material and how they fit you. The Mauis fit very nicely, but still slid down my nose. Nice idea though, with the hidden nose grips.

Coverage on Mauis was excellent, as is the coverage on the Unknowns. Oakley's plastic lens is at least as good as the Maui glass, and more useful in that it blocks more light.

So umm, yeah, it looks like I'll be gifting the Mauis out to mom or dad. I can say I tried them out, but they're not really useful for me. If you can wear lenses that dark and not care about that much light still getting in, then sure, why not? It's a clear lens as long as you don't have to squint.

As for the squeaking and creaking, that's what bothers me the most in such an expensive set of shades. The optics were good, although defeated by their own philosophy about light transmission. The built quality though should better match the lens quality.

Jun 8, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #206 of 242
I have a pair of prescription lenses in a frame by Oakley. My prescription sunglasses (polarized) are also framed by Oakley. I love 'em both. Better quality than the Armani frames I had previously.

My non-prescription, "let's go ride a bike or play catch sunglasses" are made by Rudy Project. They're the bomb.

Jun 9, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #207 of 242
Okay. I hate you all. I hate head-fi and I hate my life after joining. But I LOVE every second of it!

A few posts ago, I spoke of how I wanted some sunglasses, just every day blah sunglasses that would go with anything. My budget was SET on a hundred dollars. I was willing to go to the 115-120 range but thats it. I looked at pictures, and I slowly started sinking. I sank deeper and deeper. I didn't know it but I was up to my eyes in desire for some nice glasses.

Today I paid a visit to the mall, still on the hundred dollar budget, hoping to purchase some new clothes while I was there as well. First stop - Sunglass Hut. Bad idea. I walked around with my girlfriend for about 20 minutes and then said DAMN IT. And walked out with the oh so beautiful Oakley Whisker. Pewter, with polarized lenses. I walked out spending double my budget and all of my money, and I don't regret it one bit.

I found a very similar type of Ray Ban, but they didn't feel HALF as sturdy. These things could survive Luciano Pavoratti jumping up and down on them! They fit very snug on the head but not clamping at all, the bands are nicely padded as well. The lenses wrap around the entirety of my eyes, which is something I was looking for, as it resembled the "sporty" glasses that I'm used to.

Great sunglasses for a reasonable price, I couldn't ask for more
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 9, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #208 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by Advil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay. I hate you all. I hate head-fi and I hate my life after joining. But I LOVE every second of it!

A few posts ago, I spoke of how I wanted some sunglasses, just every day blah sunglasses that would go with anything. My budget was SET on a hundred dollars. I was willing to go to the 115-120 range but thats it. I looked at pictures, and I slowly started sinking. I sank deeper and deeper. I didn't know it but I was up to my eyes in desire for some nice glasses.

Today I paid a visit to the mall, still on the hundred dollar budget, hoping to purchase some new clothes while I was there as well. First stop - Sunglass Hut. Bad idea. I walked around with my girlfriend for about 20 minutes and then said DAMN IT. And walked out with the oh so beautiful Oakley Whisker. Pewter, with polarized lenses. I walked out spending double my budget and all of my money, and I don't regret it one bit.

I found a very similar type of Ray Ban, but they didn't feel HALF as sturdy. These things could survive Luciano Pavoratti jumping up and down on them! They fit very snug on the head but not clamping at all, the bands are nicely padded as well. The lenses wrap around the entirety of my eyes, which is something I was looking for, as it resembled the "sporty" glasses that I'm used to.

smily_headphones1.gif

The whiskers are great. Love my pair, worth every penny.

Jun 9, 2007 at 6:21 AM Post #209 of 242
I'm no expert on sunglasses, but I do feel that Oakley has provided me with quality over the years. If not in frame build quality than in pure lens quality.

That said, I've never owned any of their plastic frames, but even so, I feel that given my brother who is anathema to all things fragile and sturdy, his jackets have done well and I figure they can't be all that bad.

The lenses though, that is what I am all about and so far my 24k lenses are my favs. I am thinking of dropping some coin on a pair of wires or X metal XX polarized for driving as my final pair of glasses. Funny how things can soak one's funds. First it was headphones, then computers, then family, car, house, now sunglasses of all things.

Jun 9, 2007 at 7:19 AM Post #210 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by Advil /img/forum/go_quote.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

Congratulations.
smily_headphones1.gif
Oakley metal-frame glasses rock - I love my pair of Why 8.0's for those dressy occasions, and for the extremely bright days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back