The new Zune software (Version 2.X) thread
Nov 26, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #16 of 34
When I tried to install the new software, Microsoft gave me an error saying I have to upgrade Windows.....then when I tried to do that using Live Update or whatever, it couldn't; probably a firewall or anti-virus program issue.

Is it possible to use the new firmware with the old Zune software?

Nov 26, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #17 of 34
Hate the software, after install it messed up all album arts. Now it does not recognize folder.jpg when folder drag dropped to the music collection, previous version did automatic album art conversion. Zune still shows all previously loaded album arts just fine, but computer software seems to ignore them and doesn't display. Software is a significant step down from the previous version, wondering if downgrade is possible.

BTW, what's the deal with this huge font on Zune's main menu, any way to get letters back to normal?

Nov 26, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenzee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The podcast functionality is cool, but they need to add the ability to cut and paste a link into the manual "add a podcast" function. I have to type the often cryptic address into the software manually.

You can CTRL+V to paste the link.

Nov 26, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #21 of 34
From what I'm reading here there doesn't seem to be any reason to update my Zune. It seems that the cons are still outweighing the pros. The faster speed, louder volume and battery life are nice but not something that I need.

So is there still no drag and drop, Asian characters support, gapless, FLAC/OGG support, custom EQ or folder browsing?

Nov 26, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #22 of 34
There is a hack for Asian characters.

Gapless is coming. WMA Lossless supported. No EQ. No folders browsing.

Nov 27, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #24 of 34
I did the update and have found no major issues. I was using windows media player before, so maybe thats why my album art etc was OK.

Its a little awkward to find your way around the SW - bit confusing for me, but the new firmware on the player is great. SQ is also very very good (zune 30). You could just use media player on your PC, use the zune for syncing and turn off that option to add album art.

Nov 28, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #25 of 34
I like the software. However, that might be attributed to the fact that I started out with Sonic Stage, then moved to Napster, and then to Rhapsody.

Nov 28, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a hack for Asian characters.

Gapless is coming. WMA Lossless supported. No EQ. No folders browsing.

There is EQ, just no user custom EQ. It has classical, electronic,acoustic, hip hop, jazz, pop and rock.

Nov 28, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alleyman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EQ only present on the 30s, none on 4,8 and 80. They dont have the DSP chip on their motherboard.

That's crazy! I like the new firmware/software except for the fact that it messed up some album art and combined some albums. The SQ wit wma lossless is fantastic, and I'm addicted to podcasts. Wireless syncing is slick.

Feb 29, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #29 of 34
My Zune software freezes up a lot on my computer, especially when I try to add or delete music files.
mad.gif
I did not have the problem before upgrading to the 2.X version software in the fall.

There were a couple things I miss about the pre-2.X version software. First, you used to be able to order your music by most recently added. When I added new music by dragging, say, my "Jazz" folder in, I could easily find the newly added stuff and drag that over into the Zune player.

Second, you could drag stuff on and off the Zune player like moving files from one computer folder to another. Now, I have to "synch" everything, so even if I delete an album off my Zune player, the "synch" for that album says on the list. If I delete it from my Zune software on my computer, it automatically deletes it off my Zune. i have so much music on different drives that I just want to add and delete particular music files as I please.

Is there a way to put stuff (videos and mp3s) bought off iTunes on the Zune? Or are they still not compatible at all?

All in all, I like the sound of my Zune better than the iPod, and that's the one thing I care about the most.

Feb 29, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

There were a couple things I miss about the pre-2.X version software. First, you used to be able to order your music by most recently added. When I added new music by dragging, say, my "Jazz" folder in, I could easily find the newly added stuff and drag that over into the Zune player.

That feature is still there. Go to your collection and click the top heading middle row until "Sorted by Date Added" appears.

Quote:

Now, I have to "synch" everything, so even if I delete an album off my Zune player, the "synch" for that album says on the list. If I delete it from my Zune software on my computer, it automatically deletes it off my Zune. i have so much music on different drives that I just want to add and delete particular music files as I please.

you must login as *Guest* if you want to keep your media on the device after you delete it from your computer.

iTunes and Zune remains largely incompatible unless you use iTunes Plus AAC tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back