The (new) V-Shaped club
Mar 27, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #16 of 19
I posted in recommendations but I think I can get a better response here.

Well, I've been browsing this forum for a while and obtained a mass amount of information. Hopefully someone can recommend a great set of in-ear phones for me.

Firstly, I'm not exactly rich. Still in school, saving up money from doing small jobs getting me around $15.00 USD a week. I save up for months to buy IEMs. Hopefully the next I buy would satisfy me.

I'm a guitarist that occasionally create original, clean pieces of music, however my musical tastes is in heavily distorted metal/rock. Occasionally I'll listen to a cleaner distorted guitar like Red Hot Chili Peppers. I need an IEM that would be clean and accurate enough for me to write music without sounding unclean to a listener with better equipment than me, but I dislike balanced headphones. To me it's very pleasant sounding but too boring for me to enjoy music.

Preferred sound signature:
V-Shaped. Boosted bass, boosted treble, minimal mids.

Price range:
About $100.00 USD

Equipment used with it:
- Samsung Galaxy S5(192/24 DAC)
- CmoyBB v2.03 headphone amp
- Fender Squire Strat Guitar(California Series)
- Marshall MG10 guitar amplifier

I currently own Shure SE215 and I severely dislike them. It has boost in mids... I hate mids... Very much. It also fails to play the punchy bass of a drob B tuning on a guitar, and highs are very recessed. It's the complete opposite of what I want in sound signature. I severely equalise them to v-shaped currently for it to be acceptable to me. Even so, they still fail to play high treble guitar squeals (harmonics) effectively.

I've owned the Klipsch s4 in the past and absolutely loved them. It had a little bit of mids but it's a tolerable amount. The guitar overpowered the vocals as I love. They broke very quickly, however. I'm not saving up for months for it to break in a month, and I did baby them, clean them etc.

I'm currently looking at the Momentum in-ears by good 'ole sennheiser. Any other recommendations?

Jul 28, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #17 of 19
The JVC HA-MR77x's should be added to the list at once, as they were doubtlessly designed for this club. The 77x's exhibit a stark contrast between soul-shatteringly deep bass and suffocated midtones. The treble while also underrepresented, is not quite as pronouncedly recessed. Thus, this particular "V" is slightly lopsided, but no less exemplifies the essence of the sound signature.

Oct 5, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #18 of 19
I enjoyed the Lenntek Sonix 3's while I had them... until the left driver went out. They had a very rich and full sound.
I was able to get good sound out of the Velodyne vPulse by using EQ, but I would have liked them to come from the factory with sound like this. I used VLC preset "Soft Rock" with +10db Preamp Gain. They now sound a lot like what you would get from a movie theater/surround sound system, which I enjoy the most, as it really draws you into the sound and makes you feel like you are part of the action.

Nov 19, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #19 of 19
I think the AKG N90Q should be added to the list. If you set the EQ knob to "exciting" it does V-Shape with stunning acoustics. Bass you can feel and treble that sparkles without being sibilant or strident. In fact, it was these cans that made me realize that I really like the V-Shape. A neat thing about the N90Qs is that you can go from V-Shape to reference with the touch of a knob. So on those occasions when you hanker for the reference SS you don't need another set of cans.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back