The New Super.fi 5 Earphones Reviewed!
Sep 9, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #16 of 18
Aahhh! Someone else realizes the mids of this phone. 5 Pro and Triple.fi can't match them. Only the E4 has mids this good and no E530 and Se420 aren't as good either. Goldring GX200 is up there for mids also. UM2 has the rep for the creamy mids but I never bought them since their adherence to the MAP kept the price too high.

I did think, to my ears, that the black olives weren't the best for SQ and soundstage. Give the clear flex a try if you can.

The textured and rich sound is not found in many phones out now. They need better tips though. I have found that UE does this. They gave the Metro.fi lower versions very thin tips since they will sound too close to the Metro.fi 200 with the same tips which are thicker and seal better thus giving better SQ.

Same goes for the 5. Less laid back and a bit more crisp if you throw flanges from the Triple.fi on them. A bit of tip rolling works well for them.

A bit of added treble completes them also. A Triple.fi or 5 Pro don't need a notch of treble but no EQ can make their mids as lush or add the texture. So, the somewhat dull 5 Pro and 10 midrange can't be "fixed" as much. And they lack the style and fit/comfort that the new model brings.

Sep 10, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aahhh! Someone else realizes the mids of this phone. 5 Pro and Triple.fi can't match them. Only the E4 has mids this good and no E530 and Se420 aren't as good either. Goldring GX200 is up there for mids also. UM2 has the rep for the creamy mids but I never bought them since their adherence to the MAP kept the price too high.

I did think, to my ears, that the black olives weren't the best for SQ and soundstage. Give the clear flex a try if you can.

The textured and rich sound is not found in many phones out now. They need better tips though. I have found that UE does this. They gave the Metro.fi lower versions very thin tips since they will sound too close to the Metro.fi 200 with the same tips which are thicker and seal better thus giving better SQ.

Same goes for the 5. Less laid back and a bit more crisp if you throw flanges from the Triple.fi on them. A bit of tip rolling works well for them.

A bit of added treble completes them also. A Triple.fi or 5 Pro don't need a notch of treble but no EQ can make their mids as lush or add the texture. So, the somewhat dull 5 Pro and 10 midrange can't be "fixed" as much. And they lack the style and fit/comfort that the new model brings.

True. The small form factor makes this pair totally different from the pro and the triple. Comfy and easy to wear. I tried the triple's flanges and I still prefer the Shure black flanges. I think it's because they are softer and just disappear after a few seconds. I too am not a fan of foams or the olives. They somehow alter the highs from the triple.fi so I wont even bother using those with other phones anymore.

UE seem to have done a good job with these "top fire" drivers. If they can tune these up a notch for the newer version of the triple.fi and maintain the sweet chocolaty mids, it'll be another step closer to hi-fi in an iem.

Can't stop listening. The good nature of the new super.5 sound is that after a few minutes of listening, the mids keep on getting addictive. These are the kind of phones that beg not to be analyzed since they are not as overbearing or in-your-face as other iems. If you just let them disappear and just enjoy your music, the mids will just envelope and take control. Totally the ideal sound when you're outside. Kinda difficult to explain, or maybe my ears are just playing tricks on me
biggrin.gif
. That's for jazz or tunes with vocals. When I listen to classical or soundtrack orchestrations, that's when I can totally say that these are neutral iems. Also one of the few iems (if there are) that work well in low volume with classical pieces.

Sep 10, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #18 of 18
Thanks MarcusL for ur kind words. You're right, I simply cant stop listening to them. Sitting in front of my computer, with the HD600 right beside me, I'm still reaching for the Super.fi 5s. Their sound is just so catchy and smooth that you simply cant resist pressing the PLAY button.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back