Sensitivity: 98 dB (S.P.L at 1KHz)

Input Power: 5mW

Compatible with: iPod

Dimension and Weight

Product weight: 0.0140 kg

Package weight: 0.1000 kg

Package size (L x W x H): 10.00 x 7.00 x 3.00 cm / 3.94 x 2.76 x 1.18 inches

Package Contents

Package Contents: 1 x Xiaomi Piston Earphones Fresh Version, 2 x Pair of Earbud Tips

After the Piston One and Piston Two, 1More Design changed the playing field with the new redesigned Piston 3 in March of 2015. Since then the manufacture Xiaomi has released a number of ultra-budget editions including the Youth Edition and the Basic Edition.
It may sound a little confusing but 1More Design with Xiaomi, also released a $99 Triple and $199 Quad Driver IEM as well as a “Capsule” line of IEMs. This last year Xiaomi also released the Pro Edition as well as the Xiaomi Mi Quantie Pro Hybrid and finally......

The Fresh Edition:

This model is the lowest priced Xiaomi IEM ever created. In China they are listed as the Xiaomi Mi Piston Huosai 3, and here as simply the Piston Fresh Edition. At $4-$9 dollars it’s one of the best IEM values around. Strikingly Xiaomi prints Piston Huosai 3 in bold thick letters across the top of the box.
Today we will do some visual and sound comparisons with the original Piston 3 and do some direct comparisons against a couple other Chi/Fi ultra-budget IEMs. At first it may seem a little unfair to compare the Piston Fresh Edition to the $26-$35 Piston 3, but in many ways they share a common lineage both in design and sound signature. I don’t own the Basic Edition but did give it a listen, not a big fan of the Basic Edition flat cable, also I seemed to like the Fresh Edition sound better right off?

Why $5 IEMs?

Incoming $5 IEMs are great sports IEMs as there is no worry about damaging them at the gym or biking. A design like the Xiaomi/1More Fresh Edition are small and seem to stay in place during times of heavy physical activity. They also seem relatively strong against rain water and rough handling. Keep in mind that lower volume levels are normally recommended as to not completely block-out situational awareness sounds while in traffic.

The Piston 3 Hype:

Here are the reviews:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/xiaomi-pistons-3-0-in-ear-headphones.20647/

The sound signature was V shaped and made it’s mark with a thick warm lower mid-bass. Highs were nothing to write home about, and the midrange was somewhat lackluster, and pulled back in the mix. Folks would describe the Piston 3 treble as slightly steely but never harsh or strident. But in March of 2015, $26-$35 priced Piston 3s became a big deal. They were built well and did a number of musical genres. They had a nice warm personality with EDM and came with a quality three button remote.
What’s interesting is there was a continuation of that famous sound signature. In many ways the $99 1More Triple driver shares that same thick lower mid-bass, as well as a close proximity to the Piston 3 shape. Amazingly the 1More line has been both incredibly popular as well as controversial at Head-Fi with some folks not grooving to the house tone. Now the Fresh actually attempts to improve the signature with a retuned lower mid-bass, and surprisingly arriving at a closer to reference-flat V shape signature. This may sound hard to believe, but it’s typical of the Chinese marketing trajectory, of always bringing better value and change for the money.

Original Piston3 And Fresh Edition Comparison Photographs:
piston fresh three.jpg

piston five fresh.jpg

piston fresh 6.jpg

piston fresh seven.jpg

To cut to the chase here, the Fresh Edition is just that...... FRESH! Gone is a lot of that thick lower mid-bass. The Fresh Edition still has a V signature but much of that way too smooth lower mid-bass has been removed. What we are left with is a more mid-treble and mid-bass centric IEM. The highs are still much like the Piston3 being slightly cold and tin like. But after you put our price tag into account, they sound better than all $10 IEMs. Add-in the great build and form-factor and reality starts to set in.

piston fresh 51.jpg

When first giving this new IEM a listen it’s the lack of bass extension that first comes to mind. But if you have spent time in the $10 range you can realise it’s 99% full of IEMs which produce too much slow and cloudy bass. Once you get used to how nice and spacious the lower mid-bass soundstage is, much of the magic these offer starts to come into play.

They do rock and EDM well, respond better and better with source improvement but always seem to fail at reaching great vocal reproduction. It’s where the vocals sit in the mix that prevent these from getting all the points. Even at the $10 price point better vocals are to be found. At $5 I don’t know?

Build:
Aluminium and plastic housings with practical shape and great rings around the tip ends to hold your silicone tips. They also are built with nice stainless steel screens, and great strain relief in all the needed places. Only a single button remote, but a nice microphone for calls, Android only. Other reviews have stated they came with only two sets of tips but my pair came with small. medium and large tips. The tips are actually of pretty great quality and seem exactly like the Piston 3 tips. The TPE plastic rubber style cords are identical to what is always used on the upper section of the Piston3s, though missing are the aluminum and gold plug as well as the cloth covered cable sections so nice on the Piston3s.
piston fresh 8.jpg

piston fresh 34.jpg

piston fresh 32.jpg

piston fresh 28.jpg

Shape:
The best part is simply how they fit and stay in place. Bigger budget Chi/Fi may sound better from companies like KZ, but the low weight and superior fit is where the money is at here.

In Comparison:

Remax 2.jpg

Remax RM-565i
The all stainless steel 6mm dynamic micro-driver Remax is a great comparison. Both the Remax and Fresh Edition are priced the same and feature a comparatively similar sound signature. They are both easy to wear budget IEMs, with the Remax displaying an almost identical lower mid-bass. The Remax jumps slightly ahead with better imaging and detail delineation, both in the mids and treble range. Though a great budget IEM is more than just a sound signature, once more the Xiaomi build quality being leaps and bounds above our Remax production standards.

Remax 1.jpg

Remax RM-610D

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/de...s-tablets-mp3-mp4-players-black.21622/reviews

Truly the best all around sound winner of this $10 shootout would have to be the Remax RM-610D. In fact during my testing I mistakenly put the 610Ds in my ears thinking they were the Fresh Editions! Both IEMs look very close to being the same, but the RM-610Ds excel at vocals better, have better bass with more detail and cleaner more spacious highs. Just a better sounding IEM all the way around. I write this but in many ways these two IEMs display a different style in reproduction. It’s not a bad thing owning both and choosing between the two, depending on mood or music genre choice. At times the Fresh’s more forward approach is appreciated. In conclusion the Xiaomi build quality far surpasses anything Remax does at this price point.

Not Always The Real Deal:
It’s safe to say the Piston 2s and Piston 3s have been the most counterfeit replicated IEMs in history. Some models faked look better than others, but none of them sound good. So, it’s nice to find a new production run of a quality original product still grasping the build quality, style and sound quality signature of the famous Piston line of budget IEMs. As Chinese production runs go, they produce a product that normally exists in the market place for a year or so then can become rare. The reality now is that for 2018, no NIB Piston 3 original IEMs exist for sale anywhere, as they are simply “sold-out”. So finding a Fresh Edition easily continues the tradition so many of us budget-fi enthusiasts have enjoyed being a part of.

In Ending:
Amazingly at 1/6th of the price of the original Piston 3, our Fresh Edition, though built with less parts, still carries the fit and finish so famous in 2015. And in a strange turn of events actually can sound more audiophile due to a new design and bass reduction tuning system developed. Here we find a great replacement IEM for phones and daily use many times better sounding than IEMs regularly provided with phones. Strikingly better than the $30 Apple EarPods and more ergonomic than most any IEM I have personally come across, getting a great fit for everyone.

Conclusion:
Interestingly upon further research through use, the Fresh Edition actually stands out as being better built and more robust than any of the Remax offerings. Further listening shows an amazing new Piston tuning which allows for comfortable long term listening. Continued use shows the special sandblasted aluminum shells to become repellent of smudges and scratches. Also closer inspection shows the cable construction both at plug and across the entire length of cable to be of superior material from the competition and avoids tangles. Maybe not being perfect for all musical genres, the Fresh Edition arrives upon a surprise of excellence with both instrumental classical music and electronic dance music genres. With Rock or Metal the treble tune never gets harsh or too bright. The treble is not always the most detailed but it’s also smooth and reserved with poorly recorded tracks. The IEM responds very well to EQ, helping to reach a level of proficiency in vocal reproduction.

Further use really provides an understanding of just how comfortable and easy the $5 IEM is for day in and day out use.

All and all this product exhibits a level of quality far above the menial asking price finding a place in the legendary status of Xiaomi products. As an extra sport IEM for the gym, or as a great gift for your non-audiophile friends, things simply don’t get much better than the Fresh Edition!

Equipment Used:

Apple IPod 5th Generation 16GB

Apple IPod 6th Generation 32GB

Sony WM 1Z 3.5mm single-ended

Music Used:
Various EDM

170727_alanparsons_cover900px.jpg

The Alan Parsons Project-Eye In The Sky (35 Anniversary Edition) 16/44.1 FLAC

RushSACD-CounterpartsMockup.jpg

Rush Counterparts DSD 2.8MHz

s-l225.jpg

Rush Moving Pictures 96/24 FLAC

611c5AgPCZL._SL1500_.jpg

Daft Punk Tron Soundtrack 16/44.1 FLAC

718Wo-RddJL._SL1100_.jpg

Vangelis Blade Runner Soundtrack 2013 Audio Fidelity FLAC 16/44.1 SACD extraction

Disclaimer:
$5 IEMs are not for everyone, though everyone deserves at least to put price aside and find out how far things have come in the last 3 years. These IEMs sound genuinely wonderful and staggeringly great for the money. At less than the cost of a Coke and bag of chips, they end up as the “go-to” extra pair of IEMs when listening in precarious situations!

piston fresh one.jpg

piston fresh two.jpg

Original Packaging

piston fresh 39.jpg

Enjoy!

Attachments

• piston four fresh.jpg
    piston four fresh.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • piston fresh 28.jpg
    piston fresh 28.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • s-l225.jpg
    s-l225.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 17, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #3 of 13
This is a great review, thanks for sharing. Regarding the best and trustworthy shop to order it, do you have some suggestions?
Also, I own the Piston 3 and wanted to get similar quality for a similar price, which Xiaomi IEM do you recommend?

Cheers

Jan 17, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #4 of 13
This is a great review, thanks for sharing. Regarding the best and trustworthy shop to order it, do you have some suggestions?
Also, I own the Piston 3 and wanted to get similar quality for a similar price, which Xiaomi IEM do you recommend?

Cheers

Hard to answer your question as I’ve only heard maybe 4 Xiaomi IEMs over the years. Just save up and get the Triple Drivers, as they are great. I can actually enjoy listening to the Fresh Editions even at home simply because they have an interesting sound. Still I normally use them out and about.

Where to buy? I do know many here which have purchased from https://m.gearbest.com/earbud-headphones/pp_603271.html

Like the review states, your going to find similarities with the Fresh Edition to the Piston3 original, but also some differences. I personally like that warm pronounced exaggerated original Piston3 lower midrange. It’s still there, though not as much with the Fresh Edition. For even more of it I would go with the $99 Triple Drivers.

The Triples are fun and one of my favourite IEMs. Though they are 10X to 20X the price of the Fresh Editions. You would also need to spend about 3 times the price of the Piston 3s to buy the Triple Drivers, but they sound great!

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #5 of 13
Jan 20, 2018 at 3:10 AM Post #7 of 13
Normally in audio you can spend thousands and get 10% to 20% change.

This is one of those rare times when I would have to say that they are 3 times better. They keep with that lower midrange and add a much more interesting treble. Though keep in mind every headphone/IEM sounds different. Still with the Piston3 being entry level, there is almost an endgame quality if the Triples are amped right and you gell with the signature. I use them really only for EDM though. They do top forty great too, though I don’t use them for much else, they do metal good too.

They are thick sounding and have sub-bass but on good equipment mostly they display this really low lower midbass. So it’s like they are a little hazy in the lower midrange and lack some detail being compared to way more expensive IEMs. But at the same time that lower midrange is fast and warm, not always having that deep deep subbass even when amped right.

But there is so much low-low midbass going almost down to the subbass, it recreates almost room color. It’s not a flat headphone in anyway, nor V shaped, kind of an M shape sound where the treble has a couple spikes but never harsh. Just a relaxing ride with EDM out of almost all sources, but will scale up with better home equipment or TOTL DAPs to heaven.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 3:28 AM Post #8 of 13
The members that bag on the Triples are after a clean reference sound. So to them that bass is audio pollution. So with them it’s normal for the popularity of the Triples to become hype in their eyes.

Probably the reason I like them is many lower bass heavy IEMs can get boring especially if the profound lower mids creep up and smear the mids. These may do it, but I fail to ever notice it?

They are simply a fun IEM, and fit well too.

Jan 20, 2018 at 6:13 AM Post #9 of 13
The members that bag on the Triples are after a clean reference sound. So to them that bass is audio pollution. So with them it’s normal for the popularity of the Triples to become hype in their eyes.

Probably the reason I like them is many lower bass heavy IEMs can get boring especially if the profound lower mids creep up and smear the mids. These may do it, but I fail to ever notice it?

They are simply a fun IEM, and fit well too.
Thanks for the detailed review of these triple drivers.
I'll be using them mainly with my Google Pixel 2 smartphone. Wasn't really looking to spend so much money on some headphones, particularly when my last buy was so great while being cheap (xiaomi piston 2 and then the 3) but if you say I will really notice the difference in sound quality making these worth the 70 bucks I'm thinking I could really order these.
But that means that Xiaomi dosent have a true sucessor for the Xiaomi Piston 3.0, in the same price range?!
Cheers

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #10 of 13
Again I’m not familiar with the line. I can say though that the Piston3 has a very unique character which people either get or they don’t at Head-Fi. In the real world for consumers they have been wildly successful, so it does make you wonder why they don’t make a $26-$35 headphone that sounds like the Piston3. Maybe they do?

If you do buy the Triples it may take a week before you know what they sound like. But I enjoyed plugging them into a range of stuff and was happy how the sound-quality would change. This was in contrast to the Piston3 that sounded great from an IPod and did scale some with better equipment but not to the level of the Triple Drivers. You will have to give folks a review of the Triples. It’s like the Fresh Edition is a tricycle, the Piston’s a mountain bike, and the Triple Drivers are a motorcycle.

They sound great from a good quality phone, but can get to the next level with home equipment. One time I used the Triple Drivers with a Rega Planet CD transport to a DACMagic Plus to an Asgard One and it was jaw dropping. They are just maybe midrange on a scale of hard to drive, so they are not bad from Apple phones, though I guess they would be better from phones more powerful than Apple?

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #11 of 13
Hi all,

Just received 2x of the Piston Fresh in the mail, a black pair and a silver pair. I used the black pair 1st, and found the sound quite flat and noticeably bassy... was this normal in other's opinions ?
Though the sound was smooth, some tunes sounded 'off' (bass-like with lower flat vocals, if you know what i mean, new to audio :/).

Tonight I tested the silver pair as well, by plugging, and swapping, the pairs into the control pod of my Logitech Z5500 speakers, and playing a couple of .flac songs, I found the silver to be slightly less bassy than the black, even though they're the same earphones.

Is there anything I can do to reduce the bass, and maybe pickup the vocals a bit? I've been using the headphones in my phone (HTC ONE X), and I 'think' some of the songs may be in mp3 format, while I know some are .flac format.

Would ripping my audio collection to a different format help ? or is it more the genre of the song that would determine how they sound with the headphones?

All in all, they seem ok, especially considering the price. :)

Feb 9, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #12 of 13
The difference between the two IEMs you have could be true. Though I purchased two Piston3s and the serial numbers were consecutive. They were boxed one after another and they sounded the same.

After some burn in they may sound closer to the same as well as some smoothing out of some frequencies. Though many believe it’s just mental burn in. Still it would not hurt to run both pairs at medium volume for 24-48 hours.

Your hearing the thick lower midrange as the IEMs don’t have a super low sub-bass in comparison to some more sub-bass heavy IEMs. But yes, they are Vshaped in signature where the lower frequencies are pronounced, as well as the highs. These IEMs would be considered a “fun” signature. I used them today as I do every day in the gym.

Normally both the Piston3s and the Fresh Editions are not going to be your vocal “go-to” IEMs. I listen to Trance with them 100% of the time. You could do some EQ to try and enhance the vocal range. With this level of IEM there is not going to be a ton of noticeable difference changing formats as long as your MP3s are at 320kbps. There will be a slight noticeable difference if going to 16bit/44.1kHz lossless files, though some people can’t hear the difference also it’s an area of profound debate.

Still give lossless decoding a try if you have the space. The IEMs can sound slightly better from lossless files, but it also has been documented that it depends on the music. Thus, some music is noticeable being in 320kbps and not in 16bit/44.1kHz and some music it does not matter.

In a nutshell, vocals are not what these are known for. They share much of the same signature as the Piston3s. They are famous for the build you get for the money, the ease of use, how they fit and finally how they sound per dollar spent.

And finally it may take some time of using the IEMs before the moment comes and you gell with the signature. The Fresh Editions never gave me that moment but I was already using the Piston3s.

There could be a time after using the Fresh Editions where your brain gets used to the sound and you say “Oh”! At least that’s what happened to many with the Piston3s; it took a little while for mental burn in.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2018 at 5:03 AM Post #13 of 13
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back