The new/old toy ... AKG k 501 ... and now ?
Apr 22, 2015 at 6:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

ginetto61

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi
i have received yesterday a pair of k501 in good condition.
I like the sound but i have already at least two issues

Issue 1)   the elastic bands in the head assembly are loose and the eracups fall too low on my ears.  Suggestion for pushing-up the cups at the right level ?

Issue 2)   what amp ?  i have some but willing to buy something good
i really like the Schiit Magni ... it looks great and very well built

last question ... i understand that old good ones were also 400, 401 and 500 that i am going to hunt around
Is this correct ?

Thanks a lot for any kind suggestion and advice on how extract the best from these nice HPs

Kind regards,  gino

Apr 22, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #2 of 21
Open the headphones and see where the elastic bands go. Then tie the extra band around the screw inside. be carefull when you remove the golden sticker. Make sure you can attach it again. Most k501's don't have the stickers anymore so I guess having both stickers is good for resale value. If you have to glue the stickers back on don't use much glue. If you get glue on the outer surface you might loose the golden color of the stickers. The paint doesn't hold that well...

Apr 22, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #3 of 21
  Open the headphones and see where the elastic bands go. Then tie the extra band around the screw inside. be carefull when you remove the golden sticker. Make sure you can attach it again. Most k501's don't have the stickers anymore so I guess having both stickers is good for resale value. If you have to glue the stickers back on don't use much glue. If you get glue on the outer surface you might loose the golden color of the stickers. The paint doesn't hold that well...

Hi ! thanks a lot indeed for the very kind and valuable advice
I was thinking to something less intrusive ... like some foam placed below the headband
I am quite worried to open these nice HPs ... my DIY skills are very limited
I was looking at these ones ... look at those pieces marked A

if i can find something similar i could stick them below the headband with some bi-adhesive tape and remove completely the elastic bands.
Thanks again,  gino   

Apr 22, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #5 of 21
  I loved this headphone when I had it. It is indeed a bit "hard" sounding in the higher frequencies but it made for a very nice headstage listening experience. I wish someone would sell me one.

HI and may i ask you what did you use to drive it ?
I am using this amp here under said to be designed for the AKG k1000. It is a solid state class A unit.

Are they difficult to drive maybe ?
Thanks,  gino 

Apr 23, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

I think a normal headphone amp is fine for a K501

Hi and thanks a lot for the valuable advice.
The k501 are a corner stone of a more complex project.
I am evaluating different digital sources and my feeling is that the most critical aspect with digital is the reproduction of the midrange.
So i bought these k501 because i read here about their very good midrange.
After the first listenings i think that the reviews are very correct.
However i have found that the reproduction of the midrange is equally challenging also for headphone amps, especially solid state ones.
Usually it can be both hard and flat and not very well developed.
I understand from your words that they are not that difficult to drive but i still guess that amp sound quality will impact a lot on the overall sound.
As i said above i am going to use this very revealing k501 like a stethoscope for the components upstream.
If you have any specific recommendation of an equally transparent amp that would be welcomed.
Thanks again,   gino

Apr 23, 2015 at 6:15 AM Post #8 of 21
I don't know what would be a good amp for k501. I think I had Lehmann rhinelander when I had k501. Not sure if I allready had spl phonitor but whatever the case I thought k501 are quite difficult to drive. I've heard that not all amps can get decent  bass out of k501 and mine sure didn't. I sold k501 because those didn't get much headtime because of anemic bass. Otherwise I liked k501. Even with lacking bass the sound was more engaging than k701.

Apr 23, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #9 of 21
The K501s are spacious and have a natural timbre. My favorite headphones of the few I have. They were originally marketed as "'concert hall headphones' for lovers of classical music and for purists." Although I use them mostly for chamber music, I have also used them for a wide range of popular music.

Even though you can power them with most commercial single-ended amp designs, they do need sufficient current and voltage swing to sound their best (which most single-ended designs don't have). And because of that, if you do use a single-ended amp, make sure to get one that has sufficient gain.

When properly driven, the bass is present and tight, but not visceral like the LCD-X or full-bodied like the HD650.

Which means, even when matched with the right amp, it will not do wide bandwidth recordings at all. (Ex: Telarc's Robert Shaw recording of Verdi's Requiem) With a recording with a great deal of bass content that goes deep, the drivers will distort. Which excludes full-scale orchestral music.

The K501s are not designed for deep bass. They excel in the mid-range and to give you that out-of-your-head soundstage experience.

For the longest time, I powered my K501s with a single-ended amp with high gain. But, I got better results when I powered them with my DIY single-ended tube speaker amp. And, finally, when I rewired them for balanced operation, and powered them with my DIY M3 balanced headphone amp.

Good luck with your search. The K501s are great headphones.

Apr 23, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #10 of 21

i understand that old good ones were also 400, 401 and 500 that i am going to hunt around
Is this correct ?

I love the 501, they were my first headphone love, and still hold a special place in my heart.  I owed the 401 and they were good, but not close to 501.  I never heard the 400 or 500.  

Apr 23, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #12 of 21
  I don't know what would be a good amp for k501. I think I had Lehmann rhinelander when I had k501. Not sure if I allready had spl phonitor but whatever the case I thought k501 are quite difficult to drive. I've heard that not all amps can get decent  bass out of k501 and mine sure didn't. I sold k501 because those didn't get much headtime because of anemic bass. Otherwise I liked k501. Even with lacking bass the sound was more engaging than k701.

Hi and thanks a lot again.  I am more focusing the midrange for now so it should be ok. 
I will check the bass issue anyway.  But i am not a bass guy at all
Kind regards,  gino 

Apr 23, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #13 of 21
  The K501s are spacious and have a natural timbre. My favorite headphones of the few I have. They were originally marketed as "'concert hall headphones' for lovers of classical music and for purists." Although I use them mostly for chamber music, I have also used them for a wide range of popular music.

Even though you can power them with most commercial single-ended amp designs, they do need sufficient current and voltage swing to sound their best (which most single-ended designs don't have). And because of that, if you do use a single-ended amp, make sure to get one that has sufficient gain.

When properly driven, the bass is present and tight, but not visceral like the LCD-X or full-bodied like the HD650.

Which means, even when matched with the right amp, it will not do wide bandwidth recordings at all. (Ex: Telarc's Robert Shaw recording of Verdi's Requiem) With a recording with a great deal of bass content that goes deep, the drivers will distort. Which excludes full-scale orchestral music.

The K501s are not designed for deep bass. They excel in the mid-range and to give you that out-of-your-head soundstage experience.

For the longest time, I powered my K501s with a single-ended amp with high gain. But, I got better results when I powered them with my DIY single-ended tube speaker amp. And, finally, when I rewired them for balanced operation, and powered them with my DIY M3 balanced headphone amp.

Good luck with your search. The K501s are great headphones.

Hi and thanks a lot for the very helpful reply
I am not good enough to try a mod .. i am quite sure i would damage them 
But actually my present amp was designed to drive the k1000 from a 4 pin socket ... is this one the balanced connection you mention ?
Thanks again,   gino 

Apr 23, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #14 of 21
  I love the 501, they were my first headphone love, and still hold a special place in my heart.  I owed the 401 and they were good, but not close to 501.  I never heard the 400 or 500.  

Hi and thanks a lot indeed.  Maybe the other good one like i have already read somewhere here in the forum is the 500.
I will keep the eyes wide open 
Regards,  gino  

Apr 23, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #15 of 21
  I have a K400 and the elastics are worn out. A simple fix was to put a Beyerdynamic headband over the headband.

Hi and thanks for the hint ! i have just tried the one of the dt990 i also have at hand and it is too small.
I think i will end with some sponges like these Professional Make-up Sponges 

and fix them to the headband with some bi-adhesive tape 
Thanks again,  gino 

P.S. by the way even the k301 is not that bad in the midband.
It was very old and sounded hard at first .. now is interesting. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back