The new MATRIX Rip USB DAC!
Dec 10, 2011 at 6:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

putente

Headphoneus Supremus
This seems to be recent, has good specs (for the price) and it's supposed to be around $50 cheaper than a Yulong U100. I can't seem to find any information about it around here, but it would be nice to know any impressions if anyone is already using it... 
wink.gif

http://www.matrix-digi.com/english/cpshow.asp?pid=33

MATRIX Rip USB decoder is designed for computer playback of high-fidelity audio with the development of high-impedance headphones amplifier audio equipment. Via computer USB port or coaxial digital audio playback of up to 24bit/96KHz signal, the internal headphone amplifier can easily drive all kinds of moving coil headphones. Sophisticated design Rip USB decoder has the following features:

• USB interface supports up to 24bit/96KHz playback of digital audio signals. 
    • USB interface, support for Microsoft windows7, Vista, XP, 2000, Mac OS X system. 
    • interface to support up 24bit/96KHz coaxial digital audio signal playback. 
    • internal headphone amplifier unit can drive up to 300 ohm impedance of moving coil headphones. 
    • Dual headphone outputs for easy connection of different impedance headphones. With analog RCA input and output ports can be used as a stand-alone headphone amplifier. 
    • the use of high-quality audio converter chip PCM1793. 
    • the use of special ultra-low distortion audio op amp to get the best signal playback. 
    • the performance of natural sound with texture, perfect exquisite processing technology to meet your computer for high-quality audio and Hi-Fi headphone amplifier.

● Technical Specifications
USB Input: 
    Sampling rate: 24Bit 44.1kHz ~ 96kHz (windows7, Vista, XP, 2000, Mac OS X

Coaxial Input: 
    Sampling rate: 24Bit 32kHz ~ 96kHz

Analog output: 
    Output level: 2VRMS 
    Frequency Response: 20Hz ~ 20kHz 
    Signal to Noise Ratio: 104dB 
    Distortion: <0.002% (1kHz)

Headphone amplifier:      
    RCA analog input: 20Hz ~ 20kHz 47 k Ohms 
    Maximum output current: 200mA 
    Gain Bandwidth:> 500kHz 
    signal to noise ratio: 95dB

Power supply: 
    Power supply voltage: 18V ~ 24V (AC / DC) 
    Power Supply: <10W

Other Specifications: 
    Operating Temperature: 0 ~ +40 ℃ 
    Weight: 0.4kg 
    Dimensions: 180 × 97 × 33mm (L × W × H)

Accessories 
  Power Supply: 1 set of 
  instructions: 1

For the purpose of improving the design and specifications subject to change without notice.

Specs update:

USB section consists of the following

Tas 1020B
PCM 1793
OPA2134PA

headamp section

NE5532P

Dec 14, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #2 of 16
Although I won`t be able to help, this is the exact thread I needed.

I'm very interested in hearing some opinions/impressions on this new dac too!

I'm on the search for my first amp/dac combo (up to 200$) for my hd598 and after 2 weeks of non stop review reading my choice came down to Aune X1 and the Matrix Rip. I have managed to find some reviews of the Aune x1 (although, most of them are in chinese :) ), but I have no luck with finding any info for the Matrix Rip. It seems that the product is very new and there are no reviews anywhere on the net.
Any info about this new dac/amp combo with be highly appreciated!

Dec 31, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #5 of 16
Has anyone heard this DAC? Is it worth taking a chance on over a tried performer like the Audinst? Looking for my first dac/amp and if its near as good as Cube I will probably take a punt on it as the Cube has more features that are of no use. Don't hear much bad about any Matrix gear so it should be worth a go right?

Mar 22, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #9 of 16
I do own one. just bought it from a local store in HK.

actually it is better than my friends aune mini usb dac mk2 regarding headphone hiss.

no hiss on phone1 (for low impedence headphone)
no hiss on phone2 (for high impedence headphone)

for a low impedence iem. The same iem has hiss on the aune mini usb dac

The reason why I open it up its because I was thinking about modifying the opamp or some of the caps. But it is tight for space, so the caps part maybe a hassle....

both opamps are in sockets

not sure how accurate I am with which cap in with which section since my background is not in electronics.

caps that I think maybe important or can be modify

power input section contains 2 caps.

1 x 10uf 50v Nichicon FW(M)
1 x 4700uf 35v Nichicon FW(M)

dac opamp section
2 x 100uf 16v surface mounted electrolyte cap ( inputs I think)
2 x 100uf 25v Nichicon fine gold (output I think)

headamp parts

power buffer
4 x 470uf 25v united chemi-con LXZ

opamp
2 x 100uf 16v surface mounted electrolyte cap ( inputs I think)
2 x 470uf 25v united chemi-con LXZ

I am thinking of replacing the following caps

2 x100uf 25v Nichicon fine gold with Elna silmic 2

4 x 470uf 25v united chemi-con LXZ with panasonic FM (they are actually the same size, 10 x16)

2 x 470uf 25v united chemi-con LXZ with Elna silmic 2 ( if I can fit it in), or panasonic FM

And I will probably try changing the opamp on the usb section only.

Mar 22, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #10 of 16
snoopy007

Please comment on the sound produced by this unit and what resolution music files you've played.

Thanks!

Andy. 

Mar 23, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #12 of 16
I am using it with windows xp. so can't really see what resolution or frequency the dac is set at.  my files are either either cd rip flac or mp3 vbr0.

As for sound, can't really help with that because all I am looking for is a clean output for my iem from my computer. ie no hiss.  Personally, I think different headphones makes the biggest difference to the way the music sound. Because in the past I built myself a cmoy and a ra-1 and tried various op amp. And I notice that there are only subtle difference in attack of the music ( clinical or warmer) and bass slam (tight or fussy)

The main reason why I am changing caps on the device is that even if it doesn't change the sound (reality) I will still feel better because of the placebo effect :)

May 12, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #14 of 16
Must not be a very popular amp/dac I guess. I was digging around on Ebay and saw this unit listed. I had never heard of it before but I like the price and as others have said Matrix seems to produce some pretty good audio equipment from all the reviews of other units they make that I have seen. Wish someone could post at least a small review/impression of this amp. If I can't find anything on this I guess I will go with the regular M-Stage with the built-in dac but it is $100 more money.

Oct 6, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #15 of 16
I needed a reasonably priced DAC/headphone amp to go with my Senn HD650s.

This amp/DAC offers amazing bang for the buck. I have owned a number of good DACs and headphone amps - is it as as good as my Violectric 200/800 combo? No way. But, teamed with a pair of rounded/smooth headphones like the HD650s, it makes a great ground floor combo.

Enough grunt (via the 2nd headphone output slot) to drive my headphones, enough bass (a little bloated, but I suspect that's the HD650s), highs OK, mids clear. No real nasties. Compact and nicely made unit. I am running AIFF files via USB from my Mac. Would have preferred a Toslink input for my glass cable, but it's OK with my Cardas USB cable. Haven't tried high-res files with the DAC and I don't have/use MP3s or the like - just rips from CDs I have on my hard drive.

Highly recommended - great value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back