The NEW K701 Impressions Thread
Feb 23, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #76 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickio
I must add modern life is all about making it more obscure and difficult to find such bliss. Case in point most people will simply go... huh?

The Emperor's New Clothes has a similar exchange at one point. Only an idiot wouldn't see the new beautiful clothing, right?

Feb 23, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #77 of 146
Well it's more like as Greg Lake sang on King Crimson album, "confusion will be my epitah"
smily_headphones1.gif

Whatever makes you smile bro!

peace

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotJeffBuckley
The Emperor's New Clothes has a similar exchange at one point. Only an idiot wouldn't see the new beautiful clothing, right?

Feb 23, 2006 at 12:40 PM Post #80 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dachink
how does the 701 compare to the 880's for comfort?

In my case, the 701's are the 2nd most comfortable headphone I have ever worn ..... only the sony cd3000 was more comfortable. The 880's are very comfortable as well but didnt quite go over my left ear as well. The 701's feel slightly loose but they stay positioned.

Feb 23, 2006 at 3:20 PM Post #82 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuffMorgan
Awesome, looks like I'll be getting my pair of K701's around the same time that I get my PPX3 Slam. However, it's about 2 - 3 weeks away
frown.gif
this is going to be one hell of a nail biting wait.

I especially like the 701 on the PPX3 SLAM.
basshead.gif
Dont worry about the comments the 701's lack bass with this combination. I roll the gain tube position with a RCA 6cg7 or choose between two 6sn7 equivalents ..... the sylvania 7af7 or 7n7 ..... to fine tune the amps character. You can dial in the amount of bass and tonal brightness you want so easily this way and all of these combos have potent dynamics.
wink.gif

Feb 23, 2006 at 3:36 PM Post #83 of 146
Awesome, I'll have to look into that, thanks. I didn't really get any upgrades on the unit, just went with the stock configuration, but added an extra set of rca inputs as well as a texture control. Figured anything after that can just be added later when I want.

Feb 23, 2006 at 4:12 PM Post #84 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by stryker
Lucky enough to have snapped up the last pair at tsto.com

Ah that's a great place and great people, a real relaxed atmosphere- about 15 min from where I live. I bought my speakers from them.

Did you end up having to pay list price for them or did they give you a lower price?

I'd like to go test some headphones at their place, but everything has higher prices than the rest of the net - though the service is worth the extra money, i suppose.

Feb 23, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #85 of 146
I am glad that there are others out there who explore a path as well. this hobby just aint no fun if you take it too seriously.

so as far as 701s go, I have had some on order for 4 months now... when they finally started shipping them, I just told them to delay my order till april. I did not feel like spending the cash at that very moment but i wanted to assure the low price.

I listened really detailed to my current headphone setup last night. It consists of an echo mona digital audio interface serving essentially as a DAC from my laptop. I play wav files. the amp is an enhanced SEX amp from bottlehead. I took out the c4s the other day and actually like the sound way better. headphones are pantyhose modded hd650s with the stock cable... I have a stefan audio art, but found it too bright on top for my system. interconnects are home brew cryogenically treated transformer wire. single twisted pair sitting on stock radioshack rca plugs. I alternate between that and cat5e depending on how much glare i want to hear. overall, the tranny wire is better though.

anyways, While i really got into listening, i started to notice details in the music i had never heard before. i have beeen doing alot of listening with speaker, and no matter how good speakers are, they just can't do what headphones do. I am currently really happy with the system. naturally there are a few tradeoffs here and there. I feel like the 650s are about as good as i will ever get them to sound and that i am sortof at an impasse.

I compared them to the HF-1 i have on loan from a friend and i noticed that while the 650s have a more enveloping sound, they have less bass, and sound somewhat dry by comparison. the HF1s are real meaty and pleasantly hardcore sounding to me. in fact, I felt like the tube magic that was being wrought in the system was generally being constricted at that last nth degree by the 650s. over the years I have come to underrstand the 650 as a solid state headphone. they are meant to cover up flaws (glare) inherent in many solid state components. they are overall too distant for my tastes annd my system. I consider forward headphones to be the luxury of a bright but chilled out system. my amp and source are very very forward, but I am still feeling like there is a whole lotta resolution being glossed over by the 650s. so i am leaning towards actually getting the 701s. rather it had the effect of a lack of realism. I feel like I am at a crossroads as well as far as tuning the tone of my amp and that it might be a good idea to get a headphone which will be closer to the end presentation I am looking for. it is tough though. money money money.

I guess there is no hurt in trying them out and returning them if i don;t really like them though i guess. hmmm..

Clark

Feb 23, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #86 of 146
I got them for $319 w/ free shipping so I thought it was a good deal. I have no idea what a "deal" on these are though. I'd heard they're selling in the very low $300s, so I figured I'd go for it.

The salesman (Dave, I think) was nice and was telling me how he's never seen such a buzz about headphones. He has a pair there for demo. So far the transaction had gone great but they're not here yet. I was telling him about this place and how everyone wants a pair of these and to start stocking them. If anyone here finds out where they can get their hands on a new pair they will be gone!

Quote:

Originally Posted by drivel
Ah that's a great place and great people, a real relaxed atmosphere- about 15 min from where I live. I bought my speakers from them.

Did you end up having to pay list price for them or did they give you a lower price?

I'd like to go test some headphones at their place, but everything has higher prices than the rest of the net - though the service is worth the extra money, i suppose.

Feb 23, 2006 at 5:41 PM Post #87 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
Well now. I have to admit I am very surprised at some of the great comments by some of the most respected head-fiers.

On the contrary... I've been getting "fanboy in the making" vibes from all too many K701 owners. Claiming other top cans are obsolete now, etc. And people have the nerve to call me a DT880 fanboy, when it's just simply that I love the headphones... I'd never make some of the wild/irresponsible claims I've been reading from more than a few K701 owners.

Feb 23, 2006 at 5:41 PM Post #88 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
I especially like the 701 on the PPX3 SLAM.
basshead.gif
Dont worry about the comments the 701's lack bass with this combination. I roll the gain tube position with a RCA 6cg7 or choose between two 6sn7 equivalents ..... the sylvania 7af7 or 7n7 ..... to fine tune the amps character. You can dial in the amount of bass and tonal brightness you want so easily this way and all of these combos have potent dynamics.
wink.gif

I am sooo happy to hear this from you sir
biggrin.gif

Feb 23, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #89 of 146
I was listining with my K701, and I distinctly heard a mouse pee on cotton. OK, I don't actually have a recording of that, but I bet you could. There's no "veil" masking tiny details and nuances.

Fewtch, what's the difference between being a fanboy, and someone who "loves" his headphones? Great headphones make fanboys of us all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back