The new Ipod Nano (7th Generation
Sep 12, 2012 at 2:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ghost91

New Head-Fier
img0462.jpg

img0467.jpg

img0448.jpg

Sep 12, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #5 of 15
Looks decent enough for me. I wonder when we will see an audiophile review of the new nano. I've been itching to get a DAP and this seems to be fairly decent in terms of size and functionality at first glance.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus (Android 4.1, Jellybean) via Tapatalk 2

Sep 14, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #6 of 15
The 7G hasn't introduced any compelling features that would make me want to jump from the 6G Nano.  It seems to me that anyone interested in having videos on the go would probably already have a phone that can do that, where they don't have to look at such a miniscule screen anyway.  Pointless feature, and my guess as to why they increased the screen size (and thus made the whole thing bigger)  The 6G is known for having great audio quality for a DAP, and it's TINY.  It's got that awesome little clip that clips right to my seat belt in the car

I was really excited about the upcoming 7G Nano, but I was pretty let down when they removed all the things I love about my 6G and added nothing interesting for my uses.  I know now that I'll be looking for a used/refurb'd 6G 16GB Nano to replace mine within the next few months.

On a side note, my 6G nano has been stepped on, dropped countless times, shut in car doors, washed & dried with my clothes, and the screen is shattered with many small pieces of the glass coming off over time to expose some of the underpinnings.  It still works like it was brand new, touchscreen included, minus battery fatigue over time which can be expected.  They made the 6G Nano TOUGH.  I can't argue with a track record like that.  It's so small and light, that it's not a danger to itself in a fall.  LOVE this thing, I wish they'd improved it on the 7G but at least that'll let me snag a cheap 6G soon.

Sep 14, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:
The 7G hasn't introduced any compelling features that would make me want to jump from the 6G Nano.  It seems to me that anyone interested in having videos on the go would probably already have a phone that can do that, where they don't have to look at such a miniscule screen anyway.  Pointless feature, and my guess as to why they increased the screen size (and thus made the whole thing bigger)  The 6G is known for having great audio quality for a DAP, and it's TINY.  It's got that awesome little clip that clips right to my seat belt in the car

I was really excited about the upcoming 7G Nano, but I was pretty let down when they removed all the things I love about my 6G and added nothing interesting for my uses.  I know now that I'll be looking for a used/refurb'd 6G 16GB Nano to replace mine within the next few months.

On a side note, my 6G nano has been stepped on, dropped countless times, shut in car doors, washed & dried with my clothes, and the screen is shattered with many small pieces of the glass coming off over time to expose some of the underpinnings.  It still works like it was brand new, touchscreen included, minus battery fatigue over time which can be expected.  They made the 6G Nano TOUGH.  I can't argue with a track record like that.  It's so small and light, that it's not a danger to itself in a fall.  LOVE this thing, I wish they'd improved it on the 7G but at least that'll let me snag a cheap 6G soon.

The most compelling feature are inclusion of bluetooth 4.0, Nike+ inbuilt ( So no need of extra compatible shoes), the way volume +/- buttons are designed with the play/pause button in between them placed flatly. Its so easy to recognize all external keys with even closed eyes by just moving fingers over them.

Sep 15, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #8 of 15
Looking at it, my favorite part has to be the physical volume control buttons.

Before I started using an LOD Cable and Amp with my Nano (5th Gen), I'd always turn on the Hold Switch, so if I wanted to change the volume, I'd have to turn off the Hold Switch, change the volume with the Click Wheel, and then turn on the Hold Switch again.

In a way, it seems like a combination of the 5th and 6th Gen Nanos. The (relative) form factor of the 5th Gen with the Touch Screen Capabilities of the 6th Gen.

Disappointed that there is only a 16GB model, that Apple dropped the 30 Pin Connector and replaced it with the "Lightning" Connector, and they didn't add a camera like they did with the 5th Gen.

My music collection is about ~13GB so my current iPod Nano (16GB) is almost full... Wish they made a 32GB model. I might end up upgrading to an iPod Classic which would hopefully last me awhile. 
biggrin.gif

Not to mention the fact that I won't be able to use my LOD Cable anymore (therefore preventing me from using my Amp).

Could care less about it lacking a camera though... never really used it on the 5th Gen anyway.

Just curious, why did they make the "Home Button" a Circle instead of the normal Square...?

Sep 15, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:
I've ordered one, and currently have the 5G nano.  The 6G was nice but not good if you wanted to pair it with an amp (but a nice size if you didnt want to do that).  Hopefully the larger size of this one means it has some improved internals

Actually, there were quite a few cool Nano + Amp Pictures in the Portable Rig Thread! 
biggrin.gif

If I had a 6G Nano, I'd probably try Velcroing the Amp to the Nano! Probably would regret it later, but it'd be ultraportable! 
tongue.gif

Sep 15, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

The most compelling feature are inclusion of bluetooth 4.0, Nike+ inbuilt ( So no need of extra compatible shoes), the way volume +/- buttons are designed with the play/pause button in between them placed flatly. Its so easy to recognize all external keys with even closed eyes by just moving fingers over them.

I drive a car from before Bluetooth was even a thought, and I don't use/care about Nike+.  The button relocation isn't a big deal considering how much bigger they made it.  The 7G Nano offers no compelling reason for me to buy it whatsoever.
The ONLY reason I'd consider getting a new one is if they substantially improved the SQ over the 6G Nano.

Sep 17, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #13 of 15
"My music collection is about ~13GB so my current iPod Nano (16GB) is almost full... Wish they made a 32GB model."

Perhaps you should get a 4GB Sandisk Clip Zip or Clip+ and add a 32GB microSDHC card to it. This would cost under $60 total in the US.

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #15 of 15

Users who are viewing this thread

Back